A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Sorry, I wasn't laughing at you, I was laughing at the outrageous lead time that Barwell have imposed on this model. Surely getting on for the longest gestation time of any RTR steam loco ever?

I think their target is to have a development period longer than the class lasted in service!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I do hope the refuse collection team take away all 20 of your full black bags when they eventually come, but don’t hold your breath!!

Well, they normally do.

And they're properly sealed up, so no one needs to hold their breath.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As I was going that way anyway this morning, I decided to take a few black sacks of non-recyclable rubbish from our grey (non-recyclable) bin to the local tip to dispose of it there, thinking that I'd empty up a bit of space in said bin for the next couple of weeks and also do both myself and the district council a favour.

Upon arrival at said tip, I was greeted by an officious jobsworth in bright orange, who said that it was a 'recycling centre' and that they wouldn't take my black sacks, despite the fact that we were standing right next to a huge container labelled 'Non-recyclable waste'.

The jobsworth then demanded to see inside the black bags and found the contents of our kitchen bin staring back at him. Having seen various items of plastic packaging that our district council deems unrecyclable, he proceeded to lecture me on how these items could, in fact, be recycled and that 'they take such items here'.

When informed by me, in increasingly annoyed tones, that the district council won't recycle such items, he said that they were a county council facility and that they did recycle such things!

After that, the tone of the conversation deteriorated further and I regret to say that I uttered the phrase, 'I wonder why I bother paying my council tax to the District Council!'

He then smugly reminded me that he was employed by the county council, not the district council and that I should take the matter up with the latter.

I then loaded the black bags back into the car and departed.

There are undoubtedly some things that I would have done differently, with hindsight, but giving the jobsworth a piece of my mind isn't one of them.

You pay Council Tax to the District Council. But they pass on the vast majority of it to other authorities, particularly your County Council.

So the man's reaction is wholly inappropriate.

• RMweb Gold

Sadly CK you (like me here in Norfolk) are victim of the inefficiency and unnecessary duplication causex by so called two tier local government. It is true that council tax is collected by districts but funds counth council, police and local town or parish councils. Refuse is one of the most bizarre symptoms of two tier government. The authority with the responsibility for refuse collection is the district. The authority responsible for disposal of said refuse is the county. I suspect that relations between district and county are strained in your area as they are here due to the proposed restructures in both counties a few years back which fizzled out with the last change of power in Westminster.

As I was going that way anyway this morning, I decided to take a few black sacks of non-recyclable rubbish from our grey (non-recyclable) bin to the local tip to dispose of it there, thinking that I'd empty up a bit of space in said bin for the next couple of weeks and also do both myself and the district council a favour.

Upon arrival at said tip, I was greeted by an officious jobsworth in bright orange, who said that it was a 'recycling centre' and that they wouldn't take my black sacks, despite the fact that we were standing right next to a huge container labelled 'Non-recyclable waste'.

The jobsworth then demanded to see inside the black bags and found the contents of our kitchen bin staring back at him. Having seen various items of plastic packaging that our district council deems unrecyclable, he proceeded to lecture me on how these items could, in fact, be recycled and that 'they take such items here'.

When informed by me, in increasingly annoyed tones, that the district council won't recycle such items, he said that they were a county council facility and that they did recycle such things!

After that, the tone of the conversation deteriorated further and I regret to say that I uttered the phrase, 'I wonder why I bother paying my council tax to the District Council!'

He then smugly reminded me that he was employed by the county council, not the district council and that I should take the matter up with the latter.

I then loaded the black bags back into the car and departed.

There are undoubtedly some things that I would have done differently, with hindsight, but giving the jobsworth a piece of my mind isn't one of them.

I have to legitimately wonder where they find these pinheads to staff government facilities. The morons running the tips over here in Australia are exactly the same. Cut from the same cloth, I'd dare say.

I have to legitimately wonder where they find these pinheads to staff government facilities. The morons running the tips over here in Australia are exactly the same. Cut from the same cloth, I'd dare say.

I have to say our people at the local “tip” are always civil, helpful provided you tell them exactly what you’ve brought, and have been known to help an old geezer when he’s struggling with something he should know better than to try and lift.

I did six trips yesterday clearing a kitchen and bathroom, no problem and they helped with the cooker.

The only time I ever got a “tug” was when I turned up with rubbish in a recycling box which was obviously from another borough. Wrong colour! —— even then it was a polite warning, not a confrontation.

No connection, just a satisfied customer.

Ash.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think it's the utter disconnect between the recycling policies of the district council and the county council that annoy me most, otherwise for those used to the way that the district council does things, arriving at a county council-run facility would probably be a more harmonious experience.

Sorry, I wasn't laughing at you, I was laughing at the outrageous lead time that Barwell have imposed on this model. Surely getting on for the longest gestation time of any RTR steam loco ever?

the N Class was nearly 7 years if i recall. Bachmann regularly take 5 years or more.

• RMweb Gold

What interests me about it is that having pinched the idea and initial research from a prospective commissioner will they use the originally proposed running numbers?  

• RMweb Gold

the N Class was nearly 7 years if i recall. Bachmann regularly take 5 years or more.

You're new to this thread but I know your game. That's a blatant request to see 1848 on a down stopper if ever there was one. :jester: 

You're new to this thread but I know your game. That's a blatant request to see 1848 on a down stopper if ever there was one. :jester:

Hey. Nothing wrong with the Southern. It provided feeder services to Gods wonderful. A very useful tramway
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Alert there dear Sweety. I was just perusing (again) the article in last Nov's Model Rail and enjoying yet agin the most admiarable modelling when i remembered* something. yes, I actually did. 

That dear old bean CK has just furnised me with some loverly coaches and they be 'andsome.

One be a Siphon in BR Maroon and what I remember I am sure is that one can enhance such a vehicle with new boogies; American ones or something weird? If so, can you or any other sweetey provide links to that task or give me some clues as to what I must do ASAP?

Muchly thanking all of you for your remarkable tolerance and patience.

Duckness

Only if you keep still long enough !

attachicon.gifth.jpeg

M.Arty

Oh, that dear man. What japes he provided.

I.Ball

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Now that the weather is getting back to normal in the South Hams, we find that South Hams District Council have decided to simply forget all about the three missed days of refuse collection last week.

Now, I'm not gong to be unreasonable here. Conditions were such that there was clearly no way a refuse lorry and it's operatives could have functioned and collected from our village last Friday.

However, to simply forget all about the collections is just unacceptable, as it now means there is a four week gap between the collection of general waste (black sacks etc.).

The reason I am irritated by this is because when there are multiple bank holidays falling over the refuse collection period, the council shifts the collection days of that week and the next week or so by however many days, pays the teams overtime and catches up in fairly short order.

Why haven't they got contingency plans in place to deal with this on a more short term basis?

It's not as if this snow was a surprise to anyone.

Yours sincerely,

G.R. Umpygit

Wouldn't have happened on the Southern matey.

T. Rashtip

• RMweb Premium

I used to be a pinhead in a local government facility. I quite enjoyed it.

A. Steelone

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One be a Siphon in BR Maroon and what I remember I am sure is that one can enhance such a vehicle with new boogies; American ones or something weird? If so, can you or any other sweetey provide links to that task or give me some clues as to what I must do ASAP?

Bachmann Collett bogies, they're the pressed steel type.