A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

It do look pretty, do'n it!

It do, do'n it!  Definitely in the cute category.

I've often wondered why some engines perform noiselessly out of the box and other need to be 'run in', as our cars once were.

Brian.

• Like 2

I think everyone likes a nice pair and it will be a shame to split these two lovebirds up. ;)

attachicon.gifimageedit_9_4719582073.jpg

attachicon.gifimageedit_10_4154393929.jpg

Not quite the same, but close enough. Wiki picture.

post-21098-0-70281300-1520195176.jpg

The CMR were fond of double heading and their StB roundhouse allowed for two engines on each track.

(In case you didn't know already!)

Brian

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

‘Don’t wave in your gardening gloves, Richard!’

Coercive control - a bit like DCC

I’m looking forward to some more saddle tank action but does anybody know what the little handwheel on the front of the tank behind the chimney does?

• Like 1

‘Don’t wave in your gardening gloves, Richard!’

Coercive control - a bit like DCC

I’m looking forward to some more saddle tank action but does anybody know what the little handwheel on the front of the tank behind the chimney does?

I don't think that's a handwheel, it looks like a hoist ring for the saddle tank.

• RMweb Gold

Now that the weather is getting back to normal in the South Hams, we find that South Hams District Council have decided to simply forget all about the three missed days of refuse collection last week.

Now, I'm not gong to be unreasonable here. Conditions were such that there was clearly no way a refuse lorry and it's operatives could have functioned and collected from our village last Friday.

However, to simply forget all about the collections is just unacceptable, as it now means there is a four week gap between the collection of general waste (black sacks etc.).

The reason I am irritated by this is because when there are multiple bank holidays falling over the refuse collection period, the council shifts the collection days of that week and the next week or so by however many days, pays the teams overtime and catches up in fairly short order.

Why haven't they got contingency plans in place to deal with this on a more short term basis?

It's not as if this snow was a surprise to anyone.

Yours sincerely,

G.R. Umpygit

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

Now that the weather is getting back to normal in the South Hams, we find that South Hams District Council have decided to simply forget all about the three missed days of refuse collection last week.

Now, I'm not gong to be unreasonable here. Conditions were such that there was clearly no way a refuse lorry and it's operatives could have functioned and collected from our village last Friday.

However, to simply forget all about the collections is just unacceptable, as it now means there is a four week gap between the collection of general waste (black sacks etc.).

The reason I am irritated by this is because when there are multiple bank holidays falling over the refuse collection period, the council shifts the collection days of that week and the next week or so by however many days, pays the teams overtime and catches up in fairly short order.

Why haven't they got contingency plans in place to deal with this on a more short term basis?

Yours sincerely,

G.R. Umpygit

Remeber my uncle Elwyn's, the ironmonger and solicitor, advice: "Sue them".

Leading Seaman Taffy Goldstein

Edited by ian

Yours sincerely,

G.R. Umpygit

You are not the only one to suffer this ridiculous situation Tim, here in Mid Devon its very similar.

Whilst I don't condone the foolish throwing of rubbish into farmers fields etc I can fully see why it is done, and usually within spitting distance of my local Recycling Centre  !

Another Grumpy Old Git ( Fully paid up member )

• RMweb Gold

Yours sincerely,

G.R. Umpygit

I feel your pain, anger and bewilderment at this situation but I've dealt with these people. I know them, I've met their children and in some cases their parents. I know the area and their communities. I can therefore say without unequivocal doubt the solution is to cut off their goolies, slice them through. Yes, cut off their goolies.

• RMweb Gold

Hatton say the 47xx will/might be in stock May-June at least it will give people a chance to built up the railway tokens.

Ernie is sending me some dosh this week so I can cover the cost of the pink coaches & two packs of wheels and a goodly 

amount to go to the 47xx SWMBO might not notice the true cost of that one.

Mike Gambit

• Like 2

I feel your pain, anger and bewilderment at this situation but I've dealt with these people. I know them, I've met their children and in some cases their parents. I know the area and their communities. I can therefore say without unequivocal doubt the solution is to cut off their goolies, slice them through. Yes, cut off their goolies.

That seems a tad extreme even for ANTB, although thankfully we still have weekly collections for general rubbish and the recyclable stuff.  

We don't get much heavy Russian snow round here anyway ,as it's use as a weapon of mass chaos is specifically banned within a ten mile radius of Leicester city cenre by the terms of the 1979 Friendship Treaty between Red Leicester and the Kremlin.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

You are not the only one to suffer this ridiculous situation Tim, here in Mid Devon its very similar.

Whilst I don't condone the foolish throwing of rubbish into farmers fields etc I can fully see why it is done, and usually within spitting distance of my local Recycling Centre  !

Another Grumpy Old Git ( Fully paid up member )

As I was going that way anyway this morning, I decided to take a few black sacks of non-recyclable rubbish from our grey (non-recyclable) bin to the local tip to dispose of it there, thinking that I'd empty up a bit of space in said bin for the next couple of weeks and also do both myself and the district council a favour.

Upon arrival at said tip, I was greeted by an officious jobsworth in bright orange, who said that it was a 'recycling centre' and that they wouldn't take my black sacks, despite the fact that we were standing right next to a huge container labelled 'Non-recyclable waste'.

The jobsworth then demanded to see inside the black bags and found the contents of our kitchen bin staring back at him. Having seen various items of plastic packaging that our district council deems unrecyclable, he proceeded to lecture me on how these items could, in fact, be recycled and that 'they take such items here'.

When informed by me, in increasingly annoyed tones, that the district council won't recycle such items, he said that they were a county council facility and that they did recycle such things!

After that, the tone of the conversation deteriorated further and I regret to say that I uttered the phrase, 'I wonder why I bother paying my council tax to the District Council!'

He then smugly reminded me that he was employed by the county council, not the district council and that I should take the matter up with the latter.

I then loaded the black bags back into the car and departed.

There are undoubtedly some things that I would have done differently, with hindsight, but giving the jobsworth a piece of my mind isn't one of them.

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

Reading the destructions on the Kernow 1361 class and they [DJM] recommend WS Ultra- lite oil for lubrication. Anyone used it and recommend it. £6 from most UK stockists.

https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/HL653/page/1

I bought a whole pack of WS lubricants, of which the Ultra-lite was one. I think it helped me improve the running of a secondhand Hornby Bulleid. WS being a US firm, their market for model lubricants has for decades been dominated by Labelle, whose #102 I have used for many years. I would be amazed if the whole range of WS products is not at least equally effective, because they need to compete.

• RMweb Gold

Reading the destructions on the Kernow 1361 class and they [DJM] recommend WS Ultra- lite oil for lubrication. Anyone used it and recommend it. £6 from most UK stockists.

https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/HL653/page/1

This could be the same product available in uk

post-21027-0-37117700-1520267194_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

You are Pamela Stephenson and I claim my five pounds.

https://youtu.be/04clpd7h0b0

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yours sincerely,

G.R. Umpygit

I do hope the refuse collection team take away all 20 of your full black bags when they eventually come, but don’t hold your breath!!