A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

We're all going to end up with so much stuff, which some beloved relative or friend is going to have to dispose of when we eventually go to the Great Woodhams Yard in the Sky.....

SWMBO has already  said she's having a big bonfire when I go.😟

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, gwrrob said:

If I remember correctly the highest polling GWR loco was the 14/48/58xx last time round.

Hello Rob

That's correct.

We hadn't listed the class for many years as the DJM model was 'current'. However, because of all the troubles surrounding the company (and the model) we decided to re-list.

As Miss Prism has shown, it was the 'most wanted' GWR loco and came in at overall position sixth.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Rob

That's correct.

We hadn't listed the class for many years as the DJM model was 'current'. However, because of all the troubles surrounding the company (and the model) we decided to re-list.

As Miss Prism has shown, it was the 'most wanted' GWR loco and came in at overall position sixth.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

In the back of my mind, I was wondering if Accurascale would take on the 14xx as they did with the Hatton's class 66. Maybe it was too much to improve, compared to the diesel.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd certainly be up for at least one 14xx and I don't specifically model BR(W) but would have one all the same.  I would have thought there are others in the same boat @Mallard60022 will need at least one for the branch 😜🤔

It was suggested elsewhere in the parish that it might be an N class to tie in with IRM releases, (those Bulleid opens look fantastic).  Personally, both my N's look the part and I don't see the need for another, fancier version.

Edited by Tim Dubya
a nice sit down
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tim Dubya said:

I'd certainly be up for at least one 14xx and I don't specifically model BR(W) but would have one all the same.  I would have thought there are others in the same boat @Mallard60022 will need at least one for the branch 😜🤔

It was suggested elsewhere in the parish that it might be an N class to tie in with IRM releases, (those Bulleid opens look fantastic).  Personally, both my N's look the part and I don't see the need for another, fancier version.

1442 and 1450 required for one month/6 weeks in early 1965!

P

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Bearing in mind that some regulars to this thread will be eyeing Rapido’s Titfield Thunderbolt extravaganza and accessories a 14/58XX  might be tempting,especially with its W&U “prop” colourful coach & Toad.I refer you to Simon Castens (of this forum ) excellent newly published book.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Bearing in mind that some regulars to this thread will be eyeing Rapido’s Titfield Thunderbolt extravaganza and accessories a 14/58XX  might be tempting,especially with its W&U “prop” colourful coach & Toad.I refer you to Simon Castens (of this forum ) excellent newly published book.

Indeed, and I would exhort you all to get your orders in to Simon soon, as when I spoke to him last week he suggested stock was running low

The Titfield Thunderbolt

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know the likleyhood of a Laira based pannier ending up running through Brent?

Looking at the Dec47 shed list NA gives 4 potential locos, 5798 which could be modelled from 5741 (which would I think need ATC bits adding).  The only stumbling block being that I dont know when it gained a topfeed.

9623 and 9633 both from the 1945-46 build so would have top feed and would certainly be in G W R green, would either need a top feed adding to 9741 or a respray of one of the black releases 

9717 should be a good match for 9741 (both from the same batch), though again I havent found photos to verify livery or top feed.

(there is of course also a 74xx and an open cab pannier which Ive ignored here).

Moving onto Laira, there are a lot more options: 18 57xx family vs 4.  

I wont list out all of them (unless anyone wants them, however I think  I am right in saying that none of these have the riveted tanks annoyingly (would love to be proved wrong on this).   There are 5 locos with wartime build dates which I would confidently say should still be in GWR black in 47 (4653/56/79/93)  and 3 more (3639/75/86) which are 1939/40 builds which I think would predate black and may be green with Shirtbutton (I know that was the case with my 2251 which was built around then).   

There are 3 locos which were not built from GWR 7762 by North British and 8709/19 by Bayer Peacock, based on the sources I have available I dont think these gained the riveted tanks.   

Lots more questions around topfeeds and other details to work out exactly which model to use as a basis.

Right now I am erring toward either 9717 if I can confirm its topfeed status, or one of the Laira WW2 built locos in black (which I think would both have been built with topfeed).  Or a direct replacement for my existing 5798 (again subject to verifying its topfeed status in 47

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well, bloody damn, flippin' good. 

Needless to say I've sent details to NotenoughPanniers to allow him to get his pre-orders in early. 

So, could we now, finally, see a bona fide Western Region layout emerge from Chateau Sheep ? 

Time will indeed tell but with enough lead time before delivery in early 2025......probably. These look splendid........

Rob

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Just catching up with the pannier announcement and a couple of thanks due here to Mike @The Stationmaster and Paul @Islesy in working together to bring it to market . Of course  Neal's @Neal Ball poll would have helped too and there's plenty of options for future batches to come.

Pannier Papers No.3 can be had right now for 8 sheets on Ebay.

As for renumbering, Paul has gone into a lot of research for each number, 5741 is the GWR liveried version chosen. I'd be happy to keep it that and wait for a Laira example to come in future batches.

This will definitely get into The First Class Pannier Lounge. I shall take some photos at Warley for you all.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

If you have a widescreen digital tv with YouTube facility,sit down and watch Accurascale’s superb promotional video of their new Pannier. It’ll sell,sell and sell. I imagine their Warley stand will be overwhelmed and indeed deserves to be. Rejoice.( And yes I’m aware there are some long disappointed faces because we didn’t get a Saint,a County or a U1 but there are other things currently in preparation,so who knows  ? )  We have a new Pope….er sorry Pannier but they do also emit white smoke. One feature that might cause raised eyebrows however (  CK ? ) is that it will come equipped with a powerful ( quote ) coreless motor. Please do not shoot the messenger.

• Like 7