A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Hopefully @Accurascale Fran is keeping an eye on our suggestions 😎 Obviously, he can not confirm or deny at this stage.... its just food for thought for when they do look at the 48xx (and Autocoach). 😎

My guess is that they have 48xx under inspection and they won't say anything until/unless they figure out a way to make it work better. We know that the mechanism is a dog and 0-4-2Ts are always difficult to get to balance nicely. So there's a chance that it might be silently consigned to the bin as being uneconomic to fix (which was more or less its state at Hattons, of course)!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

With the 14XX, we don't want exactly the same body, because the current body features a plastic frame that traps the motor and a large mazak block up there. That is an abomination and needs to be consigned to the scrap heap as soon as possible.

So, a modified body, yes, but a completely new chassis, please.

But above all else, a chassis that you can simply remove by unscrewing two screws, fore and aft...

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

At this point a new tooled one probably makes more sense, because I'm not sure all these modifications to the Hattons/DJ one would cost much less to do.

Question manufacturers would be asking is how big would the market be for one? Yes, many people would like one. But how many would pay over just keeping their older ones?

My two Hattons/DJ ones are perfectly fine, so as nice as a new tooled one would be I wouldn't upgrade. And I'm sure others would be the same.

I have no doubt new ones will be done one day, but I'm not sure how high up the priority list they would be. Only the industry can answer that one.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

My guess is that they have 48xx under inspection and they won't say anything until/unless they figure out a way to make it work better. We know that the mechanism is a dog and 0-4-2Ts are always difficult to get to balance nicely. So there's a chance that it might be silently consigned to the bin as being uneconomic to fix (which was more or less its state at Hattons, of course)!

12 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

With the 14XX, we don't want exactly the same body, because the current body features a plastic frame that traps the motor and a large mazak block up there. That is an abomination and needs to be consigned to the scrap heap as soon as possible.

After posting, my thoughts did turn to the fact it would probably be easier to start from scratch and do it properly from the ground up. 

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

At this point a new tooled one probably makes more sense, because I'm not sure all these modifications to the Hattons/DJ one would cost much less to do.

Question manufacturers would be asking is how big would the market be for one? Yes, many people would like one. But how many would pay over just keeping their older ones?

My two Hattons/DJ ones are perfectly fine, so as nice as a new tooled one would be I wouldn't upgrade. And I'm sure others would be the same.

I have no doubt new ones will be done one day, but I'm not sure how high up the priority list they would be. Only the industry can answer that one.

I would have one. My DJM atrocity is consigned to gather dust as it runs like a complete bag of sh*t. Any time I see one, my eyes are drawn to the bloopers on it. With the great power of hindsight, I wish I had returned mine as not of merchantable quality and stuck with my Airfix one with Mainly Trains detail pack. At the time I thought it would be a very long time before anyone decided to produce another version, so hung on to it for some unfathomable reason.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Yes, exactly. If the DJM/Hattons tooling can't be resurrected economically then there's very little chance of new tooling because that version has ruined the market for many years to come.

6 minutes ago, 57xx said:

I would have one. My DJM atrocity is consigned to gather dust as it runs like a complete bag of sh*t. Any time I see one, my eyes are drawn to the bloopers on it. With the great power of hindsight, I wish I had returned mine as not of merchantable quality and stuck with my Airfix one with Mainly Trains detail pack. At the time I thought it would be a very long time before anyone decided to produce another version, so hung on to it for some unfathomable reason.

But the Airfix one is equally atrocious with all those chunky mouldings, the conical steam dome, the visible seams, etc,...

Edited by Harlequin
dome
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't get me wrong, the lack of dome seam annoys me on mine. But enough to spend £140 (AS 57xx price) on a new one, or in my case having to replace two of them? Doubtful.

Some problems I can live with. Of course if they ran bad then that would be a different story.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

But the Airfix one is equally atrocious with all those chunky mouldings, the conical steam done, the visible seams, etc,...

I never said it was perfect but for it's age it passes muster once detailed. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

I'm another lucky winner of a Hatton's 14xx that works OK. However, I'm not entirely confident as to how long it will continue to do so, though it doesn't see too much work.

I'd therefore be in line for a better one  and concur with the need for a radical chassis redesign to improve balance and haulage ability.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 5
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

But how many would pay over just keeping their older ones?

I would, mine needs re-wheeling, so cash allocated for the pair of G6's I'm after (😬🤔😜) could be transferred to the 14XX project for one.

Edited by Tim Dubya
some semblance of the English language
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I remember waiting for the original Airfix 14xx. All the hype suggested it was going to be revolutionary and there must have been production problems because it was about a year late, I think. When it arrived in the model shop we had to buy it even though it was more than we could really afford at the time.

Driving home with Dad we both felt guilty and excited in equal measure. I was holding this exquisite Faberge egg wrapped in brown paper and we were going to have the justify it to Mum and my sister.

Sadly, I don't think it ever ran very well...

So when the DJM/Hattons 14xx came out I obviously had to have one, regardless of the fact that I had no layout or even any track at the time! It got me back into the hobby.

I was lucky and got two good ones but they are both recalcitrant runners if they've been sat for a while and one makes a horrible grinding noise sometimes...

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Did that transfer to Wizard with the other MT kits and bits?

Yes it did, I saw it on there the other day when looking for other parts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I know this is a fairly common thing for people to say these days, but Hornby missed an opportunity. Back when they tried to steal the Titfield Thunderbolt/Lion spotlight from Rapido, they could have also announced a new tooled 14xx to go along with the Titfield theme. Rapido said at the time they had no intention of doing one so it would have been a good opportunity for Hornby. Now, it's possible they are planning to do one and they will announce it during one of their other announcements this year. Alternatively they might have thought it wasn't economically viable.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Even though the DJM 14xx was made 'within our cut-off date', we added the class to The 00 Wishlist Poll 2022  as the company was 'defunct'.

It was in The Top 50 at overall position sixth.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Graham T said:

There's always the Hornby Railroad option...

That is the Airfix version slightly updated (mostly in the chassis, I think) but basically the same tooling - that's how old it is!

To see how awful it looks in closeup just look at this:

Edited by Harlequin
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

That is the Airfix version slightly updated (mostly in the chassis, I think) but basically the same tooling - that's how old it is!

Both the Airfix 14xx and Auto-coach passed through the ownership of Dapol en-route to Hornby.

The revised loco chassis, primarily a change from plunger to wiper pick-ups and a smaller motor, originated in this period, though Hornby might use a different motor. 

I have a Dapol example which came with a massively over-strong spring on the rear axle. Once I'd rectified the balance issue and done a bit of detailing, it became, and remains, a very useful "layout loco".  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Both the Airfix 14xx and Auto-coach passed through the ownership of Dapol en-route to Hornby.

I had a tough choice as a kid, the Modeller's Den in Baff had both the GMR 14XX AND the 61XX for £8 each!  Of course my OCD caused me to use my decision making device (a coin) and the 61XX won the day.  I later made amends and got an Airfix 14XX from Modelfair (what happened to them?).

Of course as soon as I'd looked at it the wheels on the 61XX disintegrated into mush.  I still have it but it's a lost cause now.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

To see how awful it looks in closeup just look at this:

I may have been speaking just slightly tongue in cheek, you know...

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

The issue that Accurascale are presented with regarding the 14xx is simply this.....( as the Sheep sees it..) 

Chassis is carp. Bin it. Start again. 

Body has issues..

i. Missing ash pan

ii. Inset number plates

iii. Possible internal issues due to the fact that the motor and weight remain inside the body when body and chassis are separated. 

So, can the existing tooling for the body be modified or is that a retool as well..........

Or are Accurascale even considering it....? 

Rob

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Exactly, we don't know. Just because AS have picked up a bunch of Hattons projects doesn't mean they have the 48/14xx. It could be it went elsewhere, or has just been lost to time.

EFE might have acquired the tooling back when they got a bunch of other toolings, but they didn't want the bother of having to do basically a whole new version. Only time will tell.

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

The issue that Accurascale are presented with regarding the 14xx is simply this.....( as the Sheep sees it..) 

Chassis is carp. Bin it. Start again. 

Body has issues..

i. Missing ash pan

ii. Inset number plates

iii. Possible internal issues due to the fact that the motor and weight remain inside the body when body and chassis are separated. 

So, can the existing tooling for the body be modified or is that a retool as well..........

Rob

On the ex Hattons Class 66 Accurascale have done some pretty significant tooling modifications (including changes to the body to add a lift out section for DCC fitting that would have required much more significant changes to the tool than what I would suspect would be needed to the 48xx, so I guess there is promise on that front.

On the other hand if its EFE who have got the tooling, I'd expect it to be the same...   I know which I would prefer to see!

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Exactly, we don't know. Just because AS have picked up a bunch of Hattons projects doesn't mean they have the 48/14xx. It could be it went elsewhere, or has just been lost to time.

EFE might have acquired the tooling back when they got a bunch of other toolings, but they didn't want the bother of having to do basically a whole new version. Only time will tell.

Strongly suspect that Hattons wouldn't have given EFE the opportunity to acquire the 14xx as EFE is part of the Bachmann portfolio and Hattons and Bachmann had their falling out. Speculation obviously and no basis in fact.   Though EFE released the J94, that was originally a DJM release with Hattons having exclusive editions made for them. 

So, as you say doesn't mean they've acquired the 14xx but A/S are logically the most likely candidate. 

Rob

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2