A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

I really like those 'large Prairies'. They used to be busy around Newton Abbot  and Totnes (for banking I think).

Don't think Laira had any during my time 1958 - 1964.

Philth

Here's one waiting for it's next banking duty with one crew member chilling out.......

post-9751-0-16963000-1501529599.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile near Cullumpton NA's 9717 and 7427 meet. 9717 is heading to Newton from Trusham with a train of Teign Valley Granite wagons...

post-7584-0-50349800-1501532074_thumb.jpg

Great shots of the 72xx by the way Robin.  The return working is more pleasing on the eye...

Click on image for larger picture.....

Edited by 46444
  • Like 9

Interesting image.Not your average Prairie,I think.Similar to 31XX I remember allocated toEbbw a Junction in the 1950's.

Further "research" reveals that the photo is a Norman Lockett photo of a 3150 class taken in 1934. By 1938 there were still four 3150 class locos allocated to Newton and two allocated to Laira. There were just two 51XX at Newton in 1938.but by 1946 there were nine and no 3150s.

• RMweb Gold

Did some 3150s get rebuilt? I can't remember as I am trying to ignore cute ex GWR locomotives................trying, trying.......

Oh I give up.

Phil

You are correct.3100-4 Collett rebuild of 1938 from Churchward 1906 3150 Class with higher pressure and smaller wheels.

Further "research" reveals that the photo is a Norman Lockett photo of a 3150 class taken in 1934. By 1938 there were still four 3150 class locos allocated to Newton and two allocated to Laira. There were just two 51XX at Newton in 1938.but by 1946 there were nine and no 3150s.

Note the 3150 prairies have a much bigger boiler than the 41/51/61XX. Mogul/City type boiler no 4 as apposed to the smaller no 2, bulldog type fitted to most 'big' prairies.

Amongst the many other 1/2 finished projects I have a Wills 61XX to be fitted with the boiler from a Wills county to make a 3150. Just to make life difficult for myself, I am making it with the square front end.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I really like those 'large Prairies'. They used to be busy around Newton Abbot  and Totnes (for banking I think).

Philth

And do not overlook the fact that they were (without checking the date) authorised to assist front any engine on a passenger train (except a 'King') between Newton Abbot and Brent.

Now if wishes were large panniers everybody should get together and make a wish - and you never know what might happen.  So all together now ...

• RMweb Premium

Philth

I think I lied. I have just rememberd that in 1963 I think it was, my ma and pa were holidaying in Goodrington and I wasn't for some reason. A friend and myself went to see them on a Saturday and there was a train from Plymouth to Goodrington (maybe Kingswear?) on Summer Saturdays. I remember now that it was a big tank, possibly a 61XX. However it may not have been a Laira loco. Somewhere I've read about that train (maybe The Day of the Holiday Express or Operation Cornwall?)

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think I lied. I have just rememberd that in 1963 I think it was, my ma and pa were holidaying in Goodrington and I wasn't for some reason. A friend and myself went to see them on a Saturday and there was a train from Plymouth to Goodrington (maybe Kingswear?) on Summer Saturdays. I remember now that it was a big tank, possibly a 61XX. However it may not have been a Laira loco. Somewhere I've read about that train (maybe The Day of the Holiday Express or Operation Cornwall?)

Phil

Both the3100 and 3150 classes were long gone by then in any case,Phil.Again ,off at a tangent,another Prairie derivative was the 81XX ten of which were rebuilt from Churchward locos in 1938 with higher pressure and smaller wheels.One of these 8104...even now...is indelibly etched in my memory from schooldays in the 1950's when she worked Vale Of Neath services from Neath (87A)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

:gamer:

That's right.

Anyone with a modicum of sense can clearly interpret that the cute little 16XX is actually the top of everyone's wish list, even if it isn't physically at the top of the page.

What's the difference between the top of the page and a few lines down, amongst friends, anyway?

Even LNER modellers want a 16XX.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's right.

Anyone with a modicum of sense can clearly interpret that the cute little 16XX is actually the top of everyone's wish list, even if it isn't physically at the top of the page.

What's the difference between the top of the page and a few lines down, amongst friends, anyway?

For the avoidance of doubt, my "Agree" referred to the second sentence, not the fourth.

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Gold

That's right.

R-T-R (r-t-modify) Western engines are a bit like school dinners in that we'll get what we are given and have to like it (or modify it).  And the trouble is that according to some manufacturers 'All pannier tanks look the same.  So why should we make one of those?'

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The next GWR loco release should be the Bachmann post war liveried Hall , coming fourth quarter I'm told. ;)

With no iron tunnel, no plate frames, small steam pipes, wrong wheel base on front bogie and painted in Brunswick green. (Well the last one was !!)  :jester:  :rofl:  :sarcastichand:  :laugh: