A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

True, but based on the loco kits in my build pile, my rate of progress isn't any better.

My excuse is I'm stockpiling kits ahead of the manufacturer's demise. I have a Brassmaster's Duke in my 'one day i"ll do it pile.' (I.e. The distant day when i learn/summon up courage to roll the boiler...) May be a while.

I hadn't thought of Colin's reversing the Collett rebuild process but I really like that idea.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We must have passed like ships in the afternoon, Mike.

These images also from Tuesday:

Don't suppose you were lurking here last Sunday as well?

We departed Dartmouth  Yacht Club pontoon at c.13.00 hours on Tuesday and sailed for Plymouth at 13.20 so missed you by a whisker or thereabouts if you arrived in the afternoon.

Derfinitely somewhere very different on the Sunday as although we were but 15 or so miles from Plymouth it was in an approximately southerly direction which meant we were here - 

post-6859-0-54653400-1501183278_thumb.jpg

Then we went back to Plymouth to await the arrival of this chap -

post-6859-0-12078600-1501183904_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-41593400-1501184008_thumb.jpg

We were at the Eddystone again on Monday but somewhat closer -

post-6859-0-50818100-1501183483_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-26621300-1501183806_thumb.jpg

as we had taken the helpful flying machine with us to transport essentials such as water and diesel fuel to the gang working on the lighthouse -

post-6859-0-66888500-1501183636_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

My excuse is I'm stockpiling kits ahead of the manufacturer's demise. I have a Brassmaster's Duke in my 'one day i"ll do it pile.' (I.e. The distant day when i learn/summon up courage to roll the boiler...) May be a while.

I hadn't thought of Colin's reversing the Collett rebuild process but I really like that idea.

David

A finney curve frame bulldog will be added at some point for the same reason, but the straight frame can wait for Bachmann as I could use 2 of them

• RMweb Gold

We departed Dartmouth  Yacht Club pontoon at c.13.00 hours on Tuesday and sailed for Plymouth at 13.20 so missed you by a whisker or thereabouts if you arrived in the afternoon.

We might even have been walking down to the bistro for lunch at that time, having arrived in Dartmouth about 2 hours earlier.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Derfinitely somewhere very different on the Sunday as although we were but 15 or so miles from Plymouth it was in an approximately southerly direction which meant we were here - 

attachicon.gifIMGP1693.jpg

We were at the Eddystone again on Monday but somewhat closer -

attachicon.gifIMGP1764.jpg

attachicon.gifIMGP1764cr.jpg

as we had taken the helpful flying machine with us to transport essentials such as water and diesel fuel to the gang working on the lighthouse -

attachicon.gifIMGP1782.jpg

I used to look out to the distant Eddystone Lighthouse when I was working on the 5th floor of InterCity House on the station.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thinking some more about dukedog conversions, is it just the boiler/firebox/smokebox assembly which differs between a bulldog and dukedog, or is it the cab as well?

I'm now looking at the 'bargain' dukedogs currently on sale and thinking about maybe bringing that conversion forward after all....

• Like 1

Thinking some more about dukedog conversions, is it just the boiler/firebox/smokebox assembly which differs between a bulldog and dukedog, or is it the cab as well?

I'm now looking at the 'bargain' dukedogs currently on sale and thinking about maybe bringing that conversion forward after all....

I've been considering that myself but there don't appear to be many "cheap" Dukedogs under £100 on the market.

Definitely alterations to the cab needed and I'm currently sizing up for a curved frame, but don't hold your breath.

My only concern about the lovely little Dukedogs is the lack of pulling power if converted to a Bulldog as a decent rake would cause problems I fear.

• RMweb Gold

I've been considering that myself but there don't appear to be many "cheap" Dukedogs under £100 on the market.

Definitely alterations to the cab needed and I'm currently sizing up for a curved frame, but don't hold your breath.

My only concern about the lovely little Dukedogs is the lack of pulling power if converted to a Bulldog as a decent rake would cause problems I fear.

Rails currntly have the BR one for 75 which is why it's so tempting.

Add in a ks kit for this boiler and you are talking a bulldog for about £100

As for lack of power, not a problem for me as it will always have a king or a castle behind it

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hattons have this at £80 as well with major parts missing.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/293253/Keyser_K_s_L3Keyser_SD_GWR_33xx_4_4_0_Bulldog_Loco_Tender_Kit_Pre_owned_missing_side_frames_rusted_w/StockDetail.aspx

I believe it would need a full body kit to do the conversion and alot of fettling to get the Bachmann front bogie to fit under the body if it didn't work you could just pop the Dukedog body back on.

The Nu-Cast/Kays locomotive body weighs in at 230 grams that's more than plenty to keep the wheels on the track but it might help cook the motor over a long run.

I'd join them too as it's a beautiful town.

We didn't make it to Dartmouth as we were on "The Non Dartmouth Coroner Tour" this year, Blackpool Sands being the nearest we got to Dartmouth this year, but visiting Salcombe, Slapton Sands, Bantham Bay, Burgh Island, Hope Cove etc and staying in Newton Ferrers wasn't too great a hardship. The nearest railway action would have been here.........

post-9751-0-90409100-1501263709_thumb.jpg

sadly about 60 years ago.....

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

While there eat at The Seahorse...or it's cheaper chippy next door.Mitch Tonks is to fish what Rembrandt is to art.Expensive but memorable.Do not miss.....

Rockfish Dartmouth for me, best I've tasted for many years !

That's the "cheaper chippy" next door.

Mitch was given the job of improving the on train catering for GWR....he is a star.Not a Hornby version though.

Edited by Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

If you don't get up and boogie to Jules you won't get up and boogie to anyone. Seen him a couple of times and his band is just brilliant.

Phil

I was disappointed not to see him when Squeeze supported Blondie more than a few years ago now.