A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

A bargain of a cheap sausage roll never offends.

attachicon.gifDSCN1779 (2).JPG

Blimey! That's less than two bob an inch.

An all I could eat Chinese buffet this evening and now I'm stuffed.

Don't worry Rob, in half an hour you'll be ready for another one.

Mr Creosote I presume?

Another waffer thin mint?

Better...

• RMweb Premium

The way our local  Horrorsons' "Shopping Experience" is playing out at the moment they may need some help from these bankers to get some stock in:

attachicon.gifb06-160709-w-br-4173-5135-dainton-30-5-57-used_orig.jpg

It's amazing how quickly the main drops away from the summit, I assume that the summit sidings are level.

• RMweb Premium

It's amazing how quickly the main drops away from the summit, I assume that the summit sidings are level.

Not quite.......something I actually noticed back in 1963............................

Philth

Dear Duck, which way do the sidings slope please.

S. Lope

• RMweb Premium

Dear Duck, which way do the sidings slope please.

S. Lope

OK, sensible answer. Slightly uphill from the points, especially the Up refuge.

The Down sidings were originally for leaving parts of larger freights behind if the Guard/Driver were concerned about braking power available I am led to believe. That could be complete shite though as they may have been exchange, storage for the Quarry that was off the Down many years ago. (Didn't know about that until very recently).

OK, sensible answer. Slightly uphill from the points, especially the Up refuge.

The Down sidings were originally for leaving parts of larger freights behind if the Guard/Driver were concerned about braking power available I am led to believe. That could be complete shite though as they may have been exchange, storage for the Quarry that was off the Down many years ago. (Didn't know about that until very recently).

What is the difference between a Siding and a Refuge Siding?

Brian

Brian

G'day Brian

I can't answer for the absolute definition in the UK. But here in West Oz (and We have many similiar terms to the UK, having adopted mainly British practice in the 18 and1900's)

Generally We have Passing / Crossing Loops for Crossing of Trains Where single line working is in effect and for Bypassing of slower trains When Dual line working is in Place.

Refuge Sidings are for the purpose of stabling failed Wagons or Locomotives that are not fit to be taken any further until repairs are made, ie. failed bearings, severe flatspots, etc. They usually have no other purpose other than leaving failed rolling stock in a safe place. Sometimes the crippled wagons can be there for weeks !!

I would think that they could be used to stow a short train for cross or bypass in the event of no loop being available, but in My experience, most specific refuge sidings are not generally long enough to take much more than a handful of wagons, perhaps 8 or so.

That doesn't Mean that "normal" sidings that are used for other purpose's ie loading or goods delivery and pick up, don't  get used to "dump" crippled wagons or temporarily park a train so it can be crossed or Bypassed when not being used for their primary purpose. They do, but aren't known as Refuge Sidings.

I have cobbled up a diagram of a typical Crossing loop that can be found about every 20 km or so on the Dual line Between Perth and the Avon Valley here in WA, there are several of them and they only exist to bypass other trains or stow crippled rolling stock in the Refuge siding (except one which also has a single line branch leading off the down Main).

I hope that made sense :O

post-23233-0-71850600-1502329446_thumb.png

Edit - Having written all that, there have been instances where entire trains have also been left in the Bi directional bypass when their locomotives have failed or various other reasons, but it's usually only for a short term, while relief Locomotives or Crews are arranged.

There have also been rare instances where a crew has left behind a portion of a train in a refuge siding when one of the Locos in a Multi Unit train has failed and the remaining units don't have the grunt to take the entire train on and no relief loco is available at that time, but again it's usually only temporary. (This may also give credence to the notion that in days past a crew may have left a portion of train behind in a refuge siding prior to a steep gradient and then returned for the rest once the first portion is safely "tied down" further on as part of normal practice). 

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Brian

Basically a siding is a line other than a running line or running loop so therefore it is not subject to the same operational restrictions and requirements as a running (e.g you can legitimately move in either direction in a siding, or a movement in a siding does not require a tail lamp).

A refuge siding is basically as shown in the posted definition - i.e. it is a siding for the specific purpose of 'refuging' a train by allowing it to be cleared from a running line.  This would usually be done for regulating purposes to allow a faster train to overtake or to allow trains to be regulated and held to one side when approaching a marshalling yard or other place where the train needed to work but wasn't immediately able to do so.  A good example of the latter was the Up Refuge Siding at Tilehurst - on quadruple track and less than a mile  from the commencement of the Goods Lines at Scours Lane but useful for holding shorter trains (max 43 SLUs) needing to work at Reading West Jcn yard.

During the war, and after, many refuge sidings on main routes were converted to loops.  The pink railway called them lay-bys.

• RMweb Premium

I wish I hadn't watched Mr Creosote now, which reminds me have we seen any Bloaters at Brent?

After that giant sausage roll I should think there is at least one 'Bloater' at ANT Brent............................ :whistle:  :derisive:

A. Fish.

Edited by Mallard60022