A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Indeed! I was wondering whether there was some logic to which side the coupling should be stowed- it does appear to be quite random on some classes, but the majority seem to dress to the left. I presume there was a stowage hook attached to each buffer. 

When I was at Steam a few weeks back I noticed the hook on their Castle. The buffer housing is fixed by four bolts and the inside bottom one has the hook fixed under the bolt head securely.

• RMweb Gold

A status update on 5071 Spitfire from the Malachite Green and Sunshine Yellow Hospital for Sick Bulleids..

Reconstructive surgery has been slow, but her tender is well and truly on the mend..

post-7000-0-63322900-1521574015_thumb.jpg

The splashers and plinth's however are different matter, the cowboys who renamed her left them in a hell of a mess, the splashers have recovered, however more reconstructive surgery is needed on the plinth's..

post-7000-0-17183000-1521574157_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately the donor plates have yet to arrive, so Spitfire is back on life support

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

A status update on 5071 Spitfire from the Malachite Green and Sunshine Yellow Hospital for Sick Bulleids..

Reconstructive surgery has been slow, but her tender is well and truly on the mend..

attachicon.gifSpitfire_inworks5.jpg

The splashers and plinth's however are different matter, the cowboys who renamed her left them in a hell of a mess, the splashers have recovered, however more reconstructive surgery is needed on the plinth's..

attachicon.gifSpitfire_inworks4.jpg

Unfortunately the donor plates have yet to arrive, so Spitfire is back on life support

Here's a reminder of where we were.

post-126-0-78566000-1521575111.jpg

post-126-0-17131200-1521575127.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Made some progress with fixing Spitfire's nameplate plinth's, both yesterday morning and this morning (before work - my day job)

The adhesive they used had messed the surface up so I had to take the plinth area back to bare metal and repaint (fortunately Railmatch GWR post 1928 Loco green is a good match). This morning I applied a couple of coats of gloss varnish prior to applying the new Plinth Lining.

post-7000-0-27559000-1521713084.jpg

Job done, I'll leave them to dry till tomorrow (when I'm off) and get the new nameplates trimmed and fitted.

post-7000-0-24341400-1521713090.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Made some progress with fixing Spitfire's nameplate plinth's, both yesterday morning and this morning (before work - my day job)

The adhesive they used had messed the surface up so I had to take the plinth area back to bare metal and repaint (fortunately Railmatch GWR post 1928 Loco green is a good match). This morning I applied a couple of coats of gloss varnish prior to applying the new Plinth Lining.

attachicon.gifSpitfire_inWorks_6.jpg

Job done, I'll leave them to dry till tomorrow (when I'm off) and get the new nameplates trimmed and fitted.

attachicon.gifSpitfire_inWorks_7.jpg

By doing it that way you don't have to alter the lining where it says Castle Class.

• RMweb Gold

Go to West Somerset Minehead and Bishops right now.......

This armchair train spotting is fun, a bit like an ANTB video, but there is an lot of watching empty platforms and waiting. Not all the cameras have sound though, so you can’t hear the train coming!

• RMweb Gold

This armchair train spotting is fun, a bit like an ANTB video, but there is an lot of watching empty platforms and waiting. Not all the cameras have sound though, so you can’t hear the train coming!

And a pair of panniers have just arrived (late) at Bishops Lydeard, a plentitude of panniers day it would seem.

I think there must be a shuttle using the triangle as well? There isn't the facility to run into/out of Taunton other than for access / exit of visiting trains AFAIK.

P

The 14xx and autocoach is running that end, but also gets at least as far as Crowcombe Heathfield.

I note the S160 was late there just now.

You have a lot to answer for Mr Duck - all these modelling hours wasted watching trains on this web thingy, you introduced us to.

• RMweb Premium

Hall is 17.40 off Minehead. 14XX and Autocoach is there now (Bishops) & the Dining Train has just arrived.

By the way, there are other Webcams as you know and the main line ones can be fun as well.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the Heljan 47xx or am I too critical/discerning for 150 sheets.

Have you seen one in the plastic so to speak Rob? A really dirty one may give more satisfaction?

P

Edited by Mallard60022

Hi Rob,

That’s interesting having preordered it - I haven’t received any notifications at all... Full write up on Little Didcot when the work is done of course...

All the best,

Castle

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The 14xx and autocoach is running that end, but also gets at least as far as Crowcombe Heathfield.

I note the S160 was late there just now.

You have a lot to answer for Mr Duck - all these modelling hours wasted watching trains on this web thingy, you introduced us to.

There must be a name for this new activity. Could it be e-Spotting ? It’s worth signing up to be able to spy on other heritage railways, but it’s a pity the Bluebell is not on the list. At least WSR feed can display the timetable on the same page so you know when to pop back.

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the Heljan 47xx or am I too critical/discerning for 150 sheets.

Hi Rob,

Is there anything in particular that looks amiss with the model? To my eyes the safety valve bonnet looks a bit overscale and the shoulders covering the clack valves look too tall. The smokebox numberplate looks a bit malnourished. Also there looks to be a lot of fresh air where the extension frames should be, presumably to allow for movement of the pony truck over uneven track. Those things aside it looks reasonable to me and captures the massive bulk of the Standard Mo. 7 boiler well. I've never owned a Heljan loco before but if the posts on RMWeb are accurate assembly quality can be 'hit and miss' and the motors are prone to burnout. Equally, some people swear by their stuff (as opposed to swearing at it!).

Andy.