A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

[quote name="Mallard60022" post="3208816" timestamp="1529694461"

Bring back Gresleys, Bulleids, Hawksworths and Staniers.

A.N. OIduffer

I might whip my Staniers out over the weekend chaps.

• Like 4

Is that one of those Montyzuma's Revenge things? If so, they look like plastic toys, however the Green Livery ones look OK on the outside.

If it isn't one of those then oh dear, yet another cattle basket. Train travel will become most displeasing if all things become foreign plastic stuff. bah!

Bring back Gresleys, Bulleids, Hawksworths and Staniers.

A.N. OIduffer

And their carriages!  Are things really as bad as portrayed in the news?  it sounds as though the whole system is going to pot, if you believe these stories.  Crowded delayed trains that may or may not show up.  Fares too high, seats uncomfortable, dire predictions for the future; surely not as bad as this?

Brian.

And their carriages!  Are things really as bad as portrayed in the news?  it sounds as though the whole system is going to pot, if you believe these stories.  Crowded delayed trains that may or may not show up.  Fares too high, seats uncomfortable, dire predictions for the future; surely not as bad as this?

Brian.

But Brian, you forget, we all live in Brentland (with Noddy), and so have no risk of being subjected to

such dire circumstances.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This damaged Grange is now back together a set of 247 Enborne Grange plates and other detailing parts to go on it the jobs a goodun. 

What I did notice is the Grange tender has pick ups on all wheels ideal for putting behind a bad runner to improve electrical contact with

the track I've purchased an underframe, keeper plate and wheels it will put behind one of the many kits I have I just need a tender tank

I will have to saw :butcher: one off the frame of an old Mainline tender shame these things are not interchangeable.

Btw I do like those new trees.  :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Actually Brian, things are not that bad, it is just that many of these new and very, very expensive Units are not well designed for use over here. I doubt the Japanese are bothered too much about seeing out of windows and will be pleased to feel uncomfortable in a seat if they can get one on their sardine can trains? We like to think of Aldestrop and Betjeman's lilting tones and being able to get up and walk about or beat up some git bellowing into their phone in the Quiet Coach.

On the ECML wot I uses sometimes, if a 125 turns up I am pleased as it feels like a real loco hauled train and they are mostly comfortable and the bogs don't stink. If the train is a 225 then I enjoy coming down from Kings Cross but the going up is often a bit hunty and the seats are a bit of a tight fit and from some there is not a good view of Adlestrop (Peterborough actually); some may say that is a benefit?

Then we have the lovely Hull Trains, that actually are a bit like an older, but plush (e.g. Swindon Cross Country) Bog Cart as they sound good and rattle along (until the elastic band breaks, as it often does). 

Hull Trains from 36E to the smoke, is great as it only stops (intentionally that is) at Grantham and so one can feel secure that loads of other bodies will not invade one's space as one leaves Grantham. You can see out of the windows as well and the fare is usually only 7/61/2d; the Staff are also very friendly and mostly local to Hull.

The Other route through 36E (Scunthorpe/Adwick/Sheffield Lincoln) has improved, but is often just a Pacer (I think) thingy and they are carp and totally stuffed at peak times. I hope we get some HSTs for that route  :onthequiet:  :O  :scared: There are more 158s I think they are these days though and they are OK.

Country train ride almost at its' best.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

Quote....."I hope we get some HSTs for that route"

If you get fed up with 'em can we have some more down here please !

B.Hardbottom

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Excellent, treely excellent.

attachicon.gifrps20180623_122214.jpg

Just leafing through the thread when I twigged that once more things were branching out. So nice to get to the root of it and note that no one was barking up the wrong tree.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just leafing through the thread when I twigged that once more things were branching out. So nice to get to the root of it and note that no one was barking up the wrong tree.

Funny feller.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Bl@@dy hell. Just got on a piece of carp Hitachi unit for the first time. Absolutely no padding on the seats at all. You'd be better off on the wooden benches in a 19th century third.

Progress my ar$e.

A luddite

Clearly this person has not travelled on one of those Class 700 Thameslink things or even on GWR Class 387 where the angle of the seat backs is excellent but the seat cushion is somewhat on the hard side (but they appear to be improving with wear.  I quite like the Class 800 seats but then I have only sampled those in the slightly classier part of the train although they too seem to have suffered the ravages of a state controlled railway as has been the case with the others.  What price full nationalisation when they already can't get it right on the bits they already control?

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

Leaf it........let it go otherwise it will sap your energy.

A.N. Germanagement

Edited by Mallard60022

Actually Brian, things are not that bad, it is just that many of these new and very, very expensive Units are not well designed for use over here. I doubt the Japanese are bothered too much about seeing out of windows and will be pleased to feel uncomfortable in a seat if they can get one on their sardine can trains? We like to think of Aldestrop and Betjeman's lilting tones and being able to get up and walk about or beat up some git bellowing into their phone in the Quiet Coach.

On the ECML wot I uses sometimes, if a 125 turns up I am pleased as it feels like a real loco hauled train and they are mostly comfortable and the bogs don't stink. If the train is a 225 then I enjoy coming down from Kings Cross but the going up is often a bit hunty and the seats are a bit of a tight fit and from some there is not a good view of Adlestrop (Peterborough actually); some may say that is a benefit?

Then we have the lovely Hull Trains, that actually are a bit like an older, but plush (e.g. Swindon Cross Country) Bog Cart as they sound good and rattle along (until the elastic band breaks, as it often does). 

Hull Trains from 36E to the smoke, is great as it only stops (intentionally that is) at Grantham and so one can feel secure that loads of other bodies will not invade one's space as one leaves Grantham. You can see out of the windows as well and the fare is usually only 7/61/2d; the Staff are also very friendly and mostly local to Hull.

The Other route through 36E (Scunthorpe/Adwick/Sheffield Lincoln) has improved, but is often just a Pacer (I think) thingy and they are carp and totally stuffed at peak times. I hope we get some HSTs for that route  :onthequiet:  :O  :scared: There are more 158s I think they are these days though and they are OK.

Country train ride almost at its' best.

P

Thanks Phil, we don't come home so much these days so I can only go by what is read in the mags and places like here on the internet.  Its all changed too much for my liking, in fact I left just as the diesels were coming on line so all I remember are the steam days, happily! :good:

Brian.

• Like 1

Leaf it........let it go otherwise it will sap your energy.

A.N. Germanagement

Better do as you're told, or you'll be left out on a limb.

R. Borist

• RMweb Gold

Brian.

Think cigar tube without smoke stuffed with internal trolley refreshment system custom designed to inflict maximum mobile damage/inconvenience to the souls incarcerated within said tube.Think variety of passenger luggage mainly of the bulky damaging kind stuffed in places designed for slimline briefcases ( yes I know no one uses them any more but tell that to XC Trains ).

Think sociable fellow travellers encouraging you to share every heart rending detail of their professional and social lives whilst on their mobiles.Greater love hath no man than this that he give up his laptop space for a needy passenger to sit.......or give up his dog's space for same ."Can I sit here please ?" (me) "Well....alright but she's very needy you know " .....meaning the dog ......was the grudging assent.Fido and I got on famously....her head in my lap for the rest of the journey from Chester to Crewe ( Virgin Trains). Overcrowding the result of there being just one 5 car 221 unit instead of the diagrammed two on a North Wales to Euston service.

These examples are long distance services. God help the poor souls dependant upon certain of our TOC's to travel daily to their workplace.

Though to be fair the system can work well and effectively.You CAN get from A toB quickly.....and whisper it soft cheaply too.

Our latest rail outing two weeks ago from Tutbury &Hatton on the Derby to Crewe route (park car opposite,no charge all day) to Manchester Piccadilly and return.Cost for two with Railcard. £20. Journey time 1 hour 25 minutes changing at Stoke.

EM 153/XC221 outwards,VT Pendolino/ EM 153 inwards. Seats all the way.All trains on time and quick.Journey for matinee performance at the Royal Exchange theatre of "Happy Days " by Samuel Beckett with the fabulous Maxine Peake.It was indeed a happy day.Given the nightmarish road congestion it's a day out I would only contemplate by rail. The M6 and M56 suck and Stoke's notorious D road can be as bad as I found out the hard way to and from Manchester Airport in April.

My son is currently in the air from Manchester to Melbourne via Dubai,having come by train from Newcastle direct...."£10 First Class supplement Dad.Worth it.I was able to write my speech " ( TP Express).He's attending a conference at Melbourne University.

Yes the train can still take the strain....just.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Call me old fashioned but it’s nice to see a glimmer of copper and brass again. Only three more years of food rationing and utility marks on everything.

Pedant mode.Which year ? I think ....if my failing grey cells still have battery life......rationing finally bit the dust in 1953. Agree about the copper and brass.That postwar era is ....thanks to Robin and his like.....now getting the recognition it deserves.