A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Absolutely nothing to do with the topic:fie:  but the old GW main line is slowly withering away!  At least its sidings are as the CRS reports that St Austell yard has been disconnected from the Up Main.  So now there are no sidings between Lostwithiel and Truro.  The Down Sidings at Liskeard look very shaky also, leaving nothing after Keyham with very little facilities for maintenance and engineering thereafter.  Don't expect the Royal Train to make many overnighters into Cornwall for a while!

Brian

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, brianusa said:

Absolutely nothing to do with the topic:fie:  but the old GW main line is slowly withering away!  At least its sidings are as the CRS reports that St Austell yard has been disconnected from the Up Main.  So now there are no sidings between Lostwithiel and Truro.  The Down Sidings at Liskeard look very shaky also, leaving nothing after Keyham with very little facilities for maintenance and engineering thereafter.  Don't expect the Royal Train to make many overnighters into Cornwall for a while!

Brian

Brian, I haven't been following the CRS site lately (tut, tut) - has the Chapel siding at Par gone too?

6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Brian, I haven't been following the CRS site lately (tut, tut) - has the Chapel siding at Par gone too?

AFAIK Still has one siding.  Soon there'll be none left at this rate.  Maybe someone can explain this rationale

Brian.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Folks, just a bit of clarification, certainly this is how things were immediately prior to my retirement.

Liskeard Yard - the short RR loop was converted to a short siding, for OTM stabling purposes. The other short siding was to be retained, after a considerable amount of propaganding from myself, for 'heritage' use and also engineers use. Essentially, at the time there were still plans to bring the GWS steam railmotor back to the Looe branch 'one day'.

Lostwithiel - up and down goods loops in daily use with clay traffic. Down Yard hardly used and is property of DB Cargo (ie. not NR infrastructure)

Par - DGL and Chapel Siding still in daily use. I would be astonished if Network Change had been agreed to take Chapel Siding out of use. Also, St Blazey yard nearby.

St Austell - remains of Motorrail siding and headshunt intact, plus GF-operated crossover. The crossover and headshunt had only ever been used in connection with turn-backs during planned engineering blockades, when trains terminated at St Austell from one direction or the other. The GF always required a member of NR Ops staff to operate it. It could be that a signalled crossover move has now been provided between the two main running lines, thus rendering the headshunt superfluous. I would certainly not have allowed the sidings to be disconnected without this having been provided.

Burngullow - extensive fan of sidings off the Up Main line, mostly DB Cargo infrastructure or the property of Imerys (and mostly disused). The location remains the junction for the Parkandillack freight branch. There is, however, a long NR-owned siding on the upside, stretching back towards Par, which is used for the loading of aggregates.

I made it one of my missions in life, during the last 10 - 15 years of my career, to try to safeguard every last remaining bit of siding or loop on our patch, because the one thing that railway history teaches us, is that once the short-term thinking suits have had them removed, getting anything put back is next to impossible.

Some of the senior suits really didn't like me for taking this kind of stance and found my representations irritating, which in turn, delighted me all the more.

Sadly I was unable to save the connection into Falmouth Docks, as the suits wanted to plain line it, during the renewal of the adjacent running line. It had long been in their sights, despite long-term considerations (or aspirations) for use of the port for container traffic, which was generally supported by Cornwall County Council. The Port Authority were not keen on what NR wanted to do, but the grown-ups from Swindon sent one of their number to see them and he most skillfully spinned them a version of the 'official company line', that the points could always be reinstated, should the traffic materialise, but 'conveniently' omitting to inform them of the effect such reinstatement would have on any future business case (it would almost certainly have killed any business case stone dead).

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

13 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Some of the senior suits really didn't like me for taking this kind of stance and found my representations irritating, which in turn, delighted me all the more.

I wouldn't have expected anything less, always enjoyable to see "the suits" become irritable when sensible proposals are placed on the table !

A.Rebbul

Unlike Red Bull which can give you wings !

Edited by bgman
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/03/2021 at 19:08, gwrrob said:

Dapol will be making an announcement a bit sooner, on Saturday morning.:read:

More variations on the Mogul front and expected next year. More details to follow when I've digested the information more. A few improvements along the way too.

https://www.Dapol.co.uk/New-OO-Gauge-43xx-2-6-0-Mogul

Edited by gwrrob
info.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Shame there is no Collet cabbed version,

There will be and I'll dance naked around Broadgate if there isn't.:D

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

More variations on the Mogul front and expected next year. More details to follow when I've digested the information more. A few improvements along the way too.

https://www.Dapol.co.uk/New-OO-Gauge-43xx-2-6-0-Mogul

At least there's no ungodly bunker seams to worry about - hopefully the second batch will be slightly less fragile...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, checkrail said:

You had me all excited for a moment, hoping against hope for an 83xx.  One of these years maybe ...

At least you can have one of the earlier batch of the 43xx. Most were withdrawn by my period.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

At least you can have one of the earlier batch of the 43xx. Most were withdrawn by my period.

I am going to have a good look to try and find one I think, i do rather like the original design as it’s a bit different to other classes with that elongated splasher.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I wonder if any body has made extras of the outside steam pipes. Would be nice to make the Khaki 5322 into the persevered one, with outside steam pipes.

I know I just asked on the Dapol Mogul thread, but what batches does this new run of Moguls represent? And on the other hand, what batches was the first run of the Dapol Mogul?

Side note; Rails, Kernow, and Hattons list the first batch “GWR” Mogul with “with BR smokebox plate.” The new one announced today isn’t labeled as such, so there’s a possibility they didn’t do it this time. 

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Ribird said:

The new one announced today isn’t labeled as such, so there’s a possibility they didn’t do it this time. 

My take on the video is that the GWR version does.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

My take on the video is that the GWR version does.

Did I read too much into the BRM video.... There was no mention of the Prairie....

• Friendly/supportive 1