A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Nurse, nurse - I've got a swelling in my groin, can you help?

That reminds me of the joke about the good-looking day nurse and the not-so-good-looking night nurse, which I'm afraid is totally unsuitable for posting on RMweb.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I'm sure you would be the perfect antidote. As you approached the patient the swelling would disappear just like magic!

I used to be a BR First Aider (mainly to get the extra free ticket and day off). We all reckoned that if you called out "It's all right - I'm a First Aider" 99% of casualties would miraculously recover.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 3
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

I used to be a BR First Aider (mainly to get the extra free ticket and day off).

Likewise. 
I got a second day (I think ‘cos I’d done it for sufficient years).  

That tripped Railtrack up when the made me redundant: I was called in to be offered voluntary redundancy or be sacked (open and honest HR here!) leaving on date X. So I pointed out that I had two first aid days too  - they had to add a week to my employment (it was ‘voluntary’ remember) so I had three days to sort things out before going on gardening leave.

Paul.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

Likewise. 
I got a second day (I think ‘cos I’d done it for sufficient years).  

That tripped Railtrack up when the made me redundant: I was called in to be offered voluntary redundancy or be sacked (open and honest HR here!) leaving on date X. So I pointed out that I had two first aid days too  - they had to add a week to my employment (it was ‘voluntary’ remember) so I had three days to sort things out before going on gardening leave.

Paul.

When I hear stories like that I am reminded just what a charmed life I led in my 38 years of railway service. Displaced in multiple reorganisations, but never out of work for a day. Railtrack stank from start to finish. 

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Railtrack stank from start to finish

It certainly did. It didn't help when it was being run by a chap that looked like the Baby-Eating Bishop of Bath & Wells from the first series of Blackadder!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

It certainly did. It didn't help when it was being run by a chap that looked like the Baby-Eating Bishop of Bath & Wells from the first series of Blackadder!

In my couple of years with BRIS I worked among a number of the most senior engineers in BR, who were having to negotiate terms and conditions for the BRIS Companies, as well as the RT1 contract, with former colleagues now behaving in a distinctly unfamiliar way. Railtrack believed it could sit back and let the cash roll in, and neither suppliers nor customers mattered much. Hatfield alone disproved that and brought it to its knees. Such a shame that lives needed to be lost to prove the point. 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Every time I go to RailWells, I have look for the bishop, so far I have been unsuccessful. Roll on the next show.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

As mentioned I took a punt on three more Oxford opens as shewn here. A coal load was sourced in resin from a guy on eBay as recommended by John Farmer on the Parkend Marsh Sidings thread. Weathered as before and the BR tarp [Smiths] is roped down using some 0.25 thick thread.

DSCN7649.JPG

DSCN7650.JPG

DSCN7651.JPG

The scores are in from the Judges.. :jester:

judges9.jpg.d2834d45f8e8ba28f41451f7e2feb498.jpg

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

By the way, I've just realised our Ordnance Survey had no problems finding the Bishop's House in 1904 (as shown on the old 25-inch map). Handily placed for the old Wiveliscombe GWR station. Perhaps they asked some old locals where it was when they got off the train at the station?

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=51.04065&lon=-3.30794&layers=168&b=1

Change at Taunton for connections to Brent.

image.png.5048e23879da91ef27c26653bc6e5368.png

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 25/03/2021 at 17:07, gwrrob said:

As mentioned I took a punt on three more Oxford opens as shewn here. A coal load was sourced in resin from a guy on eBay as recommended by John Farmer on the Parkend Marsh Sidings thread. Weathered as before and the BR tarp [Smiths] is roped down using some 0.25 thick thread.

DSCN7649.JPG

DSCN7650.JPG

DSCN7651.JPG

The wagon load and tarpaulin do look the part. Thanks for the information on the source of the 'coal' as I have been on the lookout for something like this for some time. On the back of your photos I have placed an order for some. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, the coal loads are available in three different finishes and grades. Plain resin, primed and painted. Fine, medium and course graded coal.

Here's the medium grade version.

s-l1600.jpg.876df3032945f698d936c300c3352d4c.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
add a photo
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4