A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Back to the branch and a sunny morning sees Bert Grump meet 82006 with the token.

attachicon.gifDSCN8126.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN8127.jpg

Plenty of trees from the usual sources.

attachicon.gifDSCN8128.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN8130.jpg

Would /should the BR toad have been lamped like my GW versions.

The lamping does pose difficulties because you have a train representing two different periods of lamping Rules.  So ignore the anachronism coupled to the engine and put side lamps on as well as a tail lamp.

Mr Hornby's 'King' was duly inspected yesterday - without full unpacking as that will wait for the test track and rollers - and I reckon it looks better 'in the plastic' than it has done in pictures (various).  The vacuum pipe looks a bit skinny and there is one minor shortcoming on the cover area above the inside cylinders (but is well nigh unnoticeable) but otherwise is about right for a final condition 'King' although I haven't checked to see if the cab detail is correct.  At Mr Kernow's price of £109.99 it strikes me as top notch value and judging by the list which came in the box Kernow have a  goodly selection of stuff from Hornby's warehouse clearance.

• Like 4

Mr Hornby's 'King' was duly inspected yesterday - without full unpacking as that will wait for the test track and rollers - and I reckon it looks better 'in the plastic' than it has done in pictures (various).  

My thoughts exactly Mike. I've still got 2 of the Hattons King on order and that's how it'll remain, but I couldn't turn down the chance to get Swindon's premier express loco for a penny under £100 (via an ebay seller). I too had serious reservations about the insipid colours seen via web-based images yet in person the livery is not bad at all and serviceable with some weathering and - in my case - some re-liverying.

Very impressed Mr Hornby, very impressed.

My only worry is that the advent of the much reduced Hornby King undermines the market for the Hattons model - I've no doubt the further 12 month postponement to the release of said model will have disappointed some, and, as we all know, human nature is weak to immediate temptations and so I feel that this may lead to a few cancellations of orders for the product from Merseyside - do hope I'm wrong, though!

Cheers,

CoY 

Edited by County of Yorkshire

Joining the "me too" themes, I have Hatton's King on order (which I hope arrives in stages) but equally I couldn't resist the kernow King offer. Fully accept the criticism of the Hornby gwr free but at least it matches my Lode Star and Caerphilly Castle... I have double red disks to affix for its highly visible error

On the demand front, in an odd way, a bit more delay may help Hattons /DJM. Plus if there model is excellent, it will sell and given they're not subject to the same reporting standards as Hornby, they may feel happier not waiting. I guess by comparison the Garrett did eventually sell out through it seems to have taken a good year or so

David

I have just met David Geen, at Shildon, and we started talking about the Kingsbridge B set brandings. Not having his 'boxes of research' with him he could not confirm the exact wording and spacing. One of note though. On one of the sets, for a time, although a designated matching pair, one coach had 7ft bogies, whilst the other had 9ft.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

Joining the "me too" themes, I have Hatton's King on order (which I hope arrives in stages) but equally I couldn't resist the kernow King offer. Fully accept the criticism of the Hornby gwr free but at least it matches my Lode Star and Caerphilly Castle... I have double red disks to affix for its highly visible error

On the demand front, in an odd way, a bit more delay may help Hattons /DJM. Plus if there model is excellent, it will sell and given they're not subject to the same reporting standards as Hornby, they may feel happier not waiting. I guess by comparison the Garrett did eventually sell out through it seems to have taken a good year or so

David

I think you might be right David - the greater time interval between the two is I suspect going to be Hattons advantage (and maybe that is what they also thought?).  But at the same time according to my spies there are an awful lot of 'warehouse clearance' Hornby 'Kings' out there so maybe an even longer delay in release might turn out to be to Hattons' advantage?

The important thing of course to both is getting enough cash in against the first round of sales to cover the investment.

• Like 1

The above King comments were interesting to say the least. Kings seem to be like buses and we all know how they come as apparently Kings do also! In the serious business of quality and detail, etc, surely there can't be too much difference in the different brands these days, in which case the manufacturer offering the best value wins out.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

I'm weakening towards the purchase of a Hornby King but I would like to see one in a layout situation first and photos on RMweb are rare.Having said that I still think the Hatton'ss version will be worth waiting for.

• RMweb Gold

Back to '47 and we see 6417 on a very nice looking van train although the Mainline wagons do look dated and could do with a Bachmann revamp and match the quality of these Eastern/Southern/LMS vans.

post-126-0-51663700-1462102846_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-78567000-1462102867_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-39899000-1462102885_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-25728300-1462102908_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

I can remember the last King I saw in service. It was reversing out from North Road to Laira, and approaching Mutley Tunnel (pre car park monstrosity). I had missed the down service it had been on. It was 6026 and it was filthy and it was mid 1962; such a difference to just a year or two before when all 'big engines' from 83D and those visiting were almost always beautifully turned out.

I believe one of the Hattons Kings will represent this loco; I might just weaken........................................... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSC5Op53HRA

Oh yes, I might very well weaken........................................

Philth.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Wot?? You kept your light under a bushel, where is it going???sorry, rob, wrong thread, but there are big issues at steak here, questions must be arsked.

Edited by Northroader

Maybe because I'm an old romantic but as we have someone on here that follows the possible PL champions this weekend.I'm offering him a chance to choose anything photo wise Sunday if they do it at Old Trafford.

Over to you David (Cary Hill)

attachicon.gifCIMG6018_1.png

Postponed......

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob

You and Mike had a conversation a couple of days ago about Toad BV lamping in 1947 and 1957. In todays (1947 era) photo your toad has a white rear lamp and a black (two way?) side lamp........is that what I should be doing on Granby......right now I just have rear lamps

Kind regards

John

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob

You and Mike had a conversation a couple of days ago about Toad BV lamping in 1947 and 1957. In todays (1947 era) photo your toad has a white rear lamp and a black (two way?) side lamp........is that what I should be doing on Granby......right now I just have rear lamps

Kind regards

John

Yes John, Springside do both sets of lamps you'll need.The black type code is DA6.

post-126-0-09852600-1462125981.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 1

:rolleyes: 

SOSJage was certainly never a host to a King AFAIK. But who said anything about running John on SOSJage? Has no one noticed that I am also building 83D circa 1960?

Ar$e

Now yer talkin', 83D! Laira was an interesting shed, one usually found lots of good stuff there especially on summer Saturday specials. The oil burners were interesting also at the time but they didn't last long. You could always tell them from afar - they were much cleaner. I always hoped to see all the dock tanks in one place but it seemed that there was always one missing! I was lucky enough to see the last of the Bulldogs, Saints and Stars before the inevitable. Never did like the BR stuff, they always looked like intruders but then it was nearly all over as were my spotting days. That's when I hung up my gabardine raincoat as it had too many other connotations by then!

Brian.

• Like 3