A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

What's the wagon in the bottom photo ?

Is it an LNER Fruit Van?

Probably carrying the finest South Hams organic produce for delivery to Buckfastleigh and forwarding on to the fledgling Riverford Farm and their recently instigated local organic vegetable box scheme. Chard and copious amounts of kale compulsory! :O

Edited by 46444
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1338/entry-17743-caution-toads-crossing/

Long time follower and contributor to this thread Mark (46444) has sent me a present for use in my 1957 timeframe.I'm sure he'll describe what he did but it's another kind gesture from someone on this thread.The list is getting long that's for sure.I just need your help with selecting a few appropriate wagons too.

attachicon.gifDSCN8114.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN8115.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN8116.jpg

Thanks Robin.

It's a small gesture as I call into ANTB most days to get a GWR fix along with enjoying the banter as well as the useful information the thread produces too! ;)

The Toad is a spares box special mating an old Bachmann Toad body to an old Airfix Toad chassis.  With a bit of detailing hopefully it gives a resemblance of an Diagram AA15 Toad.  In reality this should be a smaller AA3 Diagram and isn't technically correct.

Paint wise it was pre-shaded with Tamiya black before receiving a coat of Tamiya Japanese Army grey for the bodysides and the roof was German grey from the same manufacturer. The decals are from the excellent Cambridge Custom Transfers range and were surplus to requirements.

A bit of detail painting before sealing with Valejo satin varnish.

There's a bit more information on my blog about the conversion as listed below .

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1338/entry-17482-two-toads/

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

Perhaps I should get one of those Goods Vans and for those who wondered what I was on about a few posts back may I introduce Lizzie of Salmon Pastures fame.

post-7090-0-69843200-1461614318_thumb.jpg

Apparently during WW1 with a lot of the horses having gone to France Circus animals capable of hauling carts etc were put tuse and Lizzie was used by Wards of Sheffield, where Salmon pastures is set.

Edited by westerner
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Is it an LNER Fruit Van?

Probably carrying the finest South Hams organic produce for delivery to Buckfastleigh and forwarding on to the fledgling Riverford Farm and their recently instigated local organic vegetable box scheme. Chard and copious amounts of kale compulsory! :O

Another vote for a LNER fruit van: http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/acatalog/LONDON___NORTH_EASTERN_RAILWAY.html

post-6675-0-77813700-1461614540.jpg

One is on the list for Pencarrow - they seem to have wandered far and wide out of fruit season.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Finchings....Crabs? What have they been doing now then? No wonder they have been keeping out of site.

Stickers for vans. Nice ones from Parkside's (I think....or Modelmaster's) range, including the famous 'SLAG'

Ar$e

Edited by Mallard60022

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1338/entry-17743-caution-toads-crossing/

Long time follower and contributor to this thread Mark (46444) has sent me a present for use in my 1957 timeframe.I'm sure he'll describe what he did but it's another kind gesture from someone on this thread.The list is getting long that's for sure.I just need your help with selecting a few appropriate wagons too.

attachicon.gifDSCN8114.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN8115.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN8116.jpg

I know those egg-chasers are sturdy fellows, but surely Kingsbridge Rugby Union could find something else to travel in?

Seriously though Rob, that's a very nice addition to ANTB.

Finchings....Crabs? What have they been doing now then? No wonder they have been keeping out of site.

Stickers for vans. Nice ones from Parkside's (I think....or Modelmaster's) range, including the famous 'SLAG'

Ar$e

Is that the revised Gresley family crest?

Where's my tin hat?, flack approaching

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What's the wagon in the bottom photo ?

Bachmann 38-386....

post-14122-0-46528600-1461695798.jpg

Edited by nhy581

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann 38-386....

OK I'm going to be an ar$e. One needs to check if the roof vents are correct for your era or if the van you wish to represent had vents or not.

Apologies for being a vent nurd but that's how it is when you get to my age and don't understand wiring.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lnercoveredmerchandise

For example, have a look at thumbnails No 28 and 77 on the PB site linked. They might not be the same Diagram of course.....

Van Derveldt

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Top photo has a slope sided 16t mineral and a 21t mineral.

Bottom has a BR open shock wagon, GWR 12t van and a SR 12t van.

Interesting Chris.Is the SR 12 ton van the same as the one I recently bought but in a BR livery.

post-126-0-88662000-1461705408_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Same shape and size but the one you have is plywood sided whereas the one in the photo looks to be (even) planked.

I think the SR van was a derivative of the uneven planked van which was widely built in the war, and subsequently owned by most of the big four.

RTR Graham Farish did an OO version, even in GW livery, which I always thought much nicer than any of the Hornby counterparts at the time (1970s)

All the best keep up the good work.

TONY

• RMweb Gold

http://www.ehattons.com/194429/Hornby_R3165_LN01_Star_Class_4_6_0_Lode_Star_4018_in_GWR_Green_only_available_through_Steam_Muse/StockDetail.aspx

Brought to my attention this evening at a price over twice as much as I was offered for mine.Has it run on ANTB though....

Hattons win when they buy and win when they sell don't they.

• RMweb Gold

To be fair mate, anyone dealing in second hand stuff is going to want a 100% mark up to cover for problems. I don't think that's out of order. Can't you sell it yourself on EBay? You will realise 95% of what it sells for instead of half.

Edit to say, you will be up against this bit of quality if you advertise on EBay  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADAPTED-Hornby-OO-LOCOMOTIVE-to-GWR-BLUE-CLASS-4000-LODE-STAR-No-4003-/371604658136?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Edited by colin penfold