The end of Didcot Power Station - a look at the trains that served it

Am I right in believing that GWS Didcot used to have a 'GWR' wagon appended to coal trains from Taff Merthyr colliery? This closed in the early 90s, so did any other colliery supply coal in this way?

The GWS have a pair of ex-BR Ferry Highs, painted in faux-GWR colours. After the demise of Taff Merthyr, I think they only travel between the road access to the DBS yard at Didcotand the coaling stage, there being no road access to the latter.

• RMweb Gold

Am I right in believing that GWS Didcot used to have a 'GWR' wagon appended to coal trains from Taff Merthyr colliery? This closed in the early 90s, so did any other colliery supply coal in this way?

As far as I know the wagon only went/goes as far as either the trading estate siding (in the past) or over to the siding by the EWS servicing shed.  It is a modern wagon, complete with air brakes, painted in a fake GWR livery.

One from almost 15 years ago....  60025 is soon to uncouple and then run round its train, before heading back to Avonmouth to collect another load.  60068 was the other loco on the turns that day.  22nd July 1998.

post-6712-0-81142800-1363903957_thumb.jpg

I have to admit I started losing interest in going to Didcot when the 66s took over the coal runs properly!

Here's one thats' still running - taking the ex-coal (ash) out to Calvert.

56303 (looking fetching in DCR green with SYP) returning the 6Z91 empties from Calvert past Radley going back to Didcot earlier today with a couple of satisfied looking individuals up front.

Looks like they need to do a bit of dust suppression on that - the well-heeled residents of Oxfordshire won't be too pleased with all that  dustover their nice clean cars!

I have just seen a 66 with a long string of EWS hoppers heading up the Portbury branch from Bristol. Is there coal traffic from Portbury to other destinations or was this clearing empty stock (if so, why to Portbury?)? 

Best wishes

Eric

Here are some 20's bound for/from Didcot in about 1972 at a guess. We did have quite a few in a day through. I must scan a page from my early spotting books with all of in.

Thanks for posting - I always thought the early trains with 20s were from S Wales

• RMweb Gold

I have just seen a 66 with a long string of EWS hoppers heading up the Portbury branch from Bristol. Is there coal traffic from Portbury to other destinations or was this clearing empty stock (if so, why to Portbury?)? 

Best wishes

Eric

66169 on 4V83, Ferrybridge - Portbury and 6E86, Portbury - Ferrybridge later.

• RMweb Gold

I would like to do this train in N scale one day. WIll have to keep an eye out tomorrow for 17 of these hoppers tomorrow at Ally Pally

They are HXAs, not the Farish HHA, if I've counted right my video shows 16 HHAs (HXAs have lower loading)

Whilst not strictly anything to do with the PS (though there is 60068 in the background on an MGR awaiting run-round), here's one of my favourite shots at Didcot, with 37894 and 887 powering 6M17 ADJ to Wembley back in 1998.

post-6712-0-38642300-1363961548_thumb.jpg

Freightliner also got in on the act. One from 2011 and a Daws Mill - Didcot PS trip passes Hinksey Yard.

6956682285_156b8bce73_b.jpg

Freightliner 66518 near Oxford by DougieB1971, on Flickr

That'll be my colleague and fellow 'smally blue diesel lover' Jon Harper - the only Rugby man to work a train into and back out of Didcot PS! He'll be dead chuffed when I show him this ;)

• RMweb Premium

An HXA can carry just the same ammount of coal as an HHA

Going O/T

IIRC, the HXA is slightly shorter - 21 HXA is a similar length to 20 HHA. But this has created problems round my way as the extra wagon can be just enough to cause stalling on Langho Bank.... (unless it's a 70 on the front!)

Cheers,

Mick

So if they are shutting down Didcot power station tomorrow, where is the replacement power station to supply Didcot's output? :scratchhead:

Here - and we are up sh*ite creek.....................

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/britains-gas-price-soars-record-pipeline-closure-084240421--finance.html#OQ1sNMb

anyway, back to the trains...................

Don't think there are any trains in this shot, but it's a good reminder of how the power station sits in the landscape below the Ridgeway, from where I took this photo in 1989. I lived down that way then and both the power station and the town always looked to me as if a bit of the industrial Midlands had escaped to rural Oxfordshire. Is it an eyesore? Bits of it are, maybe, but so is the A34 roaring through day and night. The shape of the cooling towers is graceful enough, and I'll miss them when they're gone, much like the late-lamented Tinsley Towers.

post-6971-0-40787400-1363987428.jpg

Archived