Par Station & St Blazey Depot, 1980's Cornish Mainline in N scale

cornish trains jez

Well I have pretty much run out of plastic strip for the slabs now so while I wait for some more to turn up in the post I thought I would attack board 1 and remove the Peco track which I had unfortunately ballasted on this board.

The track came up fairly easily once I had detached the feeder wires and all that is left is to remove the ballast from the cork underlay and then lay my new cardboard underlay over the top ready for the easitrac to be laid.

I was going to post a picture but with the track removed and the ballast still there, it makes Par look a disused line so I thought I would hold off until the new track is down.

Once this is done, I'm going to test the track so I'll be able to post my first video of Par station in action on board 1 and 2.

More to follow!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning,

Just a quick update. All the track and ballast on board 1 is now taken up, it's a long job to get ballast off of the cork underlay without ruining it completely but it's now all up. I've started to lay the the new cardboard underlay on the mainlines with just the Newquay branch platform area and siding to do.

Just checking through my stocks for easitrac and it looks like I'll need to place an order for some more flat bottom sleepers before any track can go down. In the meantime I'll make a start on the turnouts.

Photos and that video I mentioned in my previous post to follow soon!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Good evening,

Well here are some progress shots as mentioned earlier. It looks a bit of a mess/building site but once the easitrac is laid down and ballasting has been done it should look a bit better.

The card underlay is still drying, as you can see it is being held firmly down with some drawing pins pushed in at an angle. I'm hoping that the card underlay will reduce the surface noise when the trains are running.

The underlay has been laid on the mainline section and the first piece of easitrac has been glued down and I now really need to order some more track!

post-10222-0-93735900-1404161687_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-35492900-1404161708_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Class 117 body etches turned up in the post. They look great and I now have a couple of Dapol 121's to use as chassis bases. I'm seriously considering using the cab ends from these railcars as they do look rather good and would complement the new body etches nicely.

It will be converted to represent a 3 car 118 as there are only some minor differences between the 117 and 118. Contrary to what I said in a previous post regarding liveries, I'm really tempted to spray it into the BT telecom livery as I have a photo of it at Par station, and it's something different to run.

Thankfully, this kit has come at the right time as I was loosing my mojo a little on this project so it will be back to the slabbing of the platforms over the next few days!!

Photos to follow......

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

Would be a shame if you gave up on the project now.

Coincidentally I only just booked at lunch time, the hotel at Par for a trip in the future.

Hi Ian,

I hope to carry on the project now with my new found enthusiasm for the project. Par is a great station and still plenty of interesting activity. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Indeed. I stayed at Par sands caravan park a few years back before it washed away. Lovely neck of the world. Glad youre back on the modelling horse. I understand all too well how easy it is to lose interest when you dont get to crack on with a project.

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Mickey. I'm looking forward to finishing the project and getting some trains running.

I know (hope?) this is all a bit tongue in cheek, but one of the joys of railway modelling is that if one particular job (e.g. platform slabs) is getting a bit tedious, you can do something completely different for a while until the inclination to finish the earlier job comes back. This is the only way I can tackle ballasting for example.

When travelling on the train over the border to visit my daughter in Truro I always feel like ducking down in my seat, I'm never confident about the golfers on the other side of the station! One day maybe, on day ......... FORE ! Hope the HST carriage windows are safe?

Hi Jeremy,

Glad to see that someone else has the WW 117/8 in there gloat box... now will it make it out before Dapol announces/releases their version??

I was planning on doing a bunch of 3D prints for the roof's headcode boxes, engine details etc.. but then I got distracted by relatively easygoing goods wagons. Perhaps if you were interested, I would actually get on with some virtual modelling instead of real...  

Best Regards,

Chris.

Edited by MinerChris

Hi Jeremy,

Glad to see that someone else has the WW 117/8 in there gloat box... now will it make it out before Dapol announces/releases their version??

I was planning on doing a bunch of 3D prints for the roof's headcode boxes, engine details etc.. but then I got distracted by relatively easygoing goods wagons. Perhaps if you were interested, I would actually get on with some virtual modelling instead of real...  

Best Regards,

Chris.

With the rate Dapol release their new items it could be a long time before they come out. To be honest, we are well furnished with the first generation DMU's in N, however I'm surprised that the 117/118 hasn't made it yet in RTR.

I've built a couple of goods wagons recently, namely two 7 plank coal wagons. The chassis do get easier to put together the more you do.

Not sure what you mean by the "virtual modeling rather than real modelling" though.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

Not sure what you mean by the "virtual modeling rather than real modelling" though.

As in using the PC to build things rather than scalpel's, solvent/solder and brass/plasticard (which was the BHE attempt, the less said the better.)

Best Regards.

Chris.

A 119 is in my to do box, this one a BH enterprises one, the class 121 body is shorter than the 119 etches, do you have the same issue with the 117 etched sides? I believe they are 64'6" stock as well or is it just the kit that is too long?

Best wishes

Simon

A 119 is in my to do box, this one a BH enterprises one, the class 121 body is shorter than the 119 etches, do you have the same issue with the 117 etched sides? I believe they are 64'6" stock as well or is it just the kit that is too long?

Best wishes

Simon

Hi Simon,

The etched sides I have are the correct length and will fit the 121 chassis nicely. I'll be reusing the Dapol cabs and just cutting off the etched ones which will look better and save on extra work.

Best regards,

Jeremy