RMweb

Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

66 taking over the logs, therefore a loco needed for the Sinful tanks - the 47 steps up. I bet Jim's happy behind the wheel of a 47 again !

I think this is Jim and his steed

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O94777/2013/06/19/advanced

Hi Dave

They normally come past me in Uttoxeter....Jim text me yesterday to tell me it is a 47 on the turn, so I assumed through Uttoxeter.????

Is this route sometimes used for the tanks, ie via Burton, Lichfield and Stafford.??

Bob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

They normally come past me in Uttoxeter....Jim text me yesterday to tell me it is a 47 on the turn, so I assumed through Uttoxeter.????

Is this route sometimes used for the tanks, ie via Burton, Lichfield and Stafford.??

Bob.

Hi Bob,

Here's the return

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H02955/2013/06/19/advanced

Passes you early in the morning if you fancy it ?

• RMweb Gold

well i really enjoyed last night, first 47 in a long time and ran like a dream, broke the 60mph barrier too (where linespeed allows i could do 75 light engine!) after the hassle of failing the night before with the 56 last night made up for it, simple job, no problems and a nice loco to boot

got some pics that i'll upload later after i have a sleep, the loco is really clean so should make for some nice pictures on its return from derby this afternoon

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

waiting in stafford arrival sidings.

DSCF4004.jpg

onwards to carlisle and onto the train

DSCF4019.jpg

2ca29ef3-93ee-488a-97f1-f72252ebbc27.jpg

and back into crewe

DSCF4058.jpg

and on to derby

DSCF4061.jpg

Lets hope that the loco remains in service for many years to come

Terry

Edited by Trainshed Terry

• RMweb Gold

56302 did indeed pilot the train from bushbury loop, that was plan C, originally a pair of 56 was due to come up to crewe yesterday and i was booked to take them in multi to chirk via chester, that then changed to the 56s coming up to crewe this morning with another driver and for me to drop the logs onto the rear, my concern with that was the length of the train would pretty much stitch up the whole down side of crewe for 10-15 mins while we coupled up and did a brake test.

i suggested to control to attach in bushbury loop as it is a long loop with position lights to allow me to drop onto the rear of the 56 under a signalled move and if there were any problems we would not effect any traffic which is what we did, 56105 unfortunatly didn't make it due to not quite being up to scratch

after i stopped in crewe to drop off the other driver and 10 mins at winsford jn it was pretty much right away to tebay where i sat for 30 mins to let passenger services past then it was onward to kingmoor non stop again, really struggled today with the headwind, very noticable!

passed the 47/56 combo near brock, i didn't know it was running so that was a nice surprise, one photographer patiently waiting at brock certainly got the 'money shot' of them passing

here are a few of my pics....

tebay

DSCF4063.jpg

DSCF4065.jpg

DSCF4067.jpg

DSCF4068.jpg

DSCF4078.jpg

kingmoor, end of the journey

DSCF4079.jpg

another long day but again enjoyable

Edited by big jim
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

couple of days worth of pictures this time

yesterday was road learning from newport to craven arms, travveled down on an arriva service and got the baglan bay logs back north which i worked from craven arms to chirk via crewe

a few pics from newport

FGW hst

DSCF4081.jpg

FGW 158

DSCF4082.jpg

another hippo for dave

DSCF4083.jpg

FGW 150 and the ATW 175

DSCF4085.jpg

then my train came in

DSCF4087.jpg

DSCF4088.jpg

and todays job was to carry on learning newport but the lack of cab pass meant it wasn't possible, i did however have a cross country one so i was told to go and have a look at banbury to didcot parkway, the only problem being cross country dont call at didcot so i decided to catch one anyway and continue on to reading instead

caught a chiltern service from moor st so refreshed that bit of a route while i was at it then waited atbanbury for my train onward to reading, a few pics from banbury

this caught me by surprise so a rushed photo

DSCF4091.jpg

DSCF4092.jpg

newcastle bound voyager

DSCF4093.jpg

voyager and 172

DSCF4094.jpg

172 heads off to london

DSCF4095.jpg

washwood heath bound 31, again caught me by surprise

DSCF4104.jpg

DSCF4097.jpg

and on to the building site that is reading, first time i've been there since about 1985 so somewhat different!

DSCF4098.jpg

junipers heading off onto the southern

DSCF4099.jpg

this didn't catch me by surprise but the camera failed to focus!

DSCF4100.jpg

thats one long train!

DSCF4101.jpg

looking back towards didcot

DSCF4102.jpg

not a bad route from banbury to didcot as is the route to reading which is obviously going to see a heck of a lot more changes over the coming months and years, but one thing mr stationmaster what is the split signal at tilehurst all about, by the time the driver explained it to me my head was battered!

tomorrow is the teigngrace train from craven arms again, getting on at hereford

• Like 10

Hi Jim,

A very interesting thread, thanks for posting the pictures of your daily travels, you get a lot further than I'd ever imagine! I did think of you today as I snapped 56094 at Pilning working hard climbing away from the Sever Tunnel heading for Teigngrace.

Top stuff, keep it coming!

jo

• RMweb Gold

not a bad route from banbury to didcot as is the route to reading which is obviously going to see a heck of a lot more changes over the coming months and years, but one thing mr stationmaster what is the split signal at tilehurst all about, by the time the driver explained it to me my head was battered!

It's just a plain common or garden splitting distant Jim (that being a splitting distant of the modern variety) to suit the left hand high speed running junction at Tilehurst East.  The odd thing is that they do not appear to be in the Rule Book (someone will now tell us where they are - with luck) but you will find reference to them near the bottom of this page -

http://www.railsigns.co.uk/info/jcnsig1/jcnsig1.html

And for spot of amusement have a look at the apparent aspect sequence in this pic - it should show up if you click on the pic to enlarge it.  If you can see it there are four successive signals visible in the picture but look carefully at the aspects they are showing ;)

post-6859-0-31374600-1372197624_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

it just looked odd having never seen one, the driver said that they take the least restrictive aspect at it, however if one of the aspects (i think the fastest route one) is not lit then you are stopping at the junction

• RMweb Gold

is the yellow in the picture to wake the driver up!

there used to be a similar scenario between penkridge and stafford, the signal on the down always showed a double yellow if the signals either side were green

• RMweb Gold

is the yellow in the picture to wake the driver up!

there used to be a similar scenario between penkridge and stafford, the signal on the down always showed a double yellow if the signals either side were green

No - it's the yellow on a 'splitting distant' - if you look very carefully you can see the green just to the left of it and slightly higher and if you look to the right of it you can just make out the green on the next signal in advance of it (which is the junction signal at Ruscombe).  So what is there is a succession of greens up the Relief but the signal head to cross to the Main is mounted on the main post and the Relief Line one is elevated to the left of it.  I ought really to get over there with the long lens and tripod sometime.

There is supposed to be a move to remove excess signage on and beside roads (roadside clutter). The pictures above suggest that the same thoughts might be applied to the railways. Obviously the driver is not determining the route to follow on a loco whilst the car driver is but that does seem like one hell of a lot to take in without getting confused.

• RMweb Gold

There is supposed to be a move to remove excess signage on and beside roads (roadside clutter). The pictures above suggest that the same thoughts might be applied to the railways. Obviously the driver is not determining the route to follow on a loco whilst the car driver is but that does seem like one hell of a lot to take in without getting confused.

Not really - the only potential problem is the way the colours might merge and change but presumably the amount of separation ensures that doesn't happen.  Otherwise it is just a simple advance indication of the way the route is set and clear at the junction where you don't want trains to unduly reduce speed (as at Ruscombe which is a 70mph running junction).  You should have seen the tangle we got into trying to signal the changes to Continental Junctions down in Kent where we were looking at flashing yellows, splitting distants and PRIs (Preliminary Route Indicators) as various alternatives and mixtures - but it all becomes a lot simpler when the Driver knows which way he should be going and knows what aspects he should get for a clear run at line speed.

All part of the long developing jungle of British junction signalling where we've spent years trying to reconcile route signalling methods with speed signalling needs..