Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• 2 weeks later...

Great photos Jim (as always). 

I've been modifying the lights of my Bachmann 70 to provide an optional automatic change between [headlight on with opposite & top marker lights] when on the move; to [headlight off and all 3 marker lights on] when stationary.  (As illustrated in your past & present 70 photos.)

I'm generating a webpage to illustrate the Bachmann 70 modifications. Would it be possible to copy a couple of your 70 photos from the forum and include them in the website to illustrate the lights in operation on the real locomotive?

Regards

Martin

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

first update in a while, been mad busy but with stuff i cant put on here, anyway back to the core work last night a ballast drop between small heath and stourbridge jn, 10 auto hoppers dropping stone as and where required in the length of the 14 mile worksite

Lot on my old patch there. Would like a ride up to Old Hill on one of those. My memories of it are behind Large Prairies, Halls and Granges, then on an assortment of mainly clapped-out DMUs, sometimes with assistance. 

• Like 1

Thanks Jim,

My mistake....... assumed wrongly that it operated like the 60!  Must make sure I've got a 1/76 photographer close by on the layout when I use the automatic headlight switching :-)

Do you operate the 70 without headlights when in the yard as described in the recent 60 lighting thread.  (I guess with combined lower markers & rear lights, a corresponding "super shunter" lighting mode is definitely not an option for the 70.)

Regards

Martin

• RMweb Gold

yes, in a yard its headlight off

you cannot have marker and tail lights on at the same time at the same end on a 70 as its the same lighting unit, just different rows of leds illuminated at any one time

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Premium

the 70 was awesome up old hill bank, 60 at the bottom, slowed for the 40 through old hill then opened it back up once on the 60 again and had to shut off power while climbing the bank through rowley regis, an absolute beast of an engine up there with just 600 ton behind me, again somewhat quicker than a 67 and stock or 168!

Very impressive. I believe Old Hill bank has a very short section of 1 in 45, and a mile and a little bit section of 1 in 51.

I've heard it mentioned on more than 1 occasion from various American web pages from engineers (drivers).-  "A GE will surprise you with how and what  it can pull".

That's what AC motors and lots of HP will do.

The class 70's big brother, the AC4400 will put 82 tons of 'pull' into the draw gear.

Edited by Gary H

• RMweb Premium

Interesting as always Jim.

With all the time you spend stuck in loops, it makes me wonder how much more attractive (and cheaper) rail freight would be of it wasn't sidelined so much.

ColinK

Those pesky passengers getting in the way...............................

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I'm forever in your debt........thanks Jim.

Same again this week on the Tanks Thursday...????

Not this week, early friday on the logs ive got a feeling i may well get a bescot to longport class 66 move on thursday