Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

had yet another rescue mission today, the perston tanks failed in rose grove with lack of power so i had to go to toton to collect 60056 to go and rescue it, ran as 1Z99 so had priority over most traffic, even had me on the fast from lichfield to winsford

leaving toton

A3EAD8F8-1008-4B79-AB33-A073808BAB2C.jpg

and non stop into preston where i left the loco in the parcels bay as i dont sign the route to rose grove

6F09A26F-92CC-4269-AC0C-C8D2EC0A5AAB.jpg

44E7C398-E1EC-492A-BE82-C27AB872AEA2.jpg

as the train is a tank train it cant be left unattended so i had to go with the shunter from preston to sit on the loco while the driver goes back to preston to collect 60056

B8D5C7AE-78AB-443D-A409-0CFE3BFD96AB.jpg

unfortunatly by the time he gets back to the train he will be at the limit of his day so the train will have to sit in the loop until the next driver books on at midnight therefore ive got to sit on it til then, by the time he gets here i'll be at the limit of my day so i'll off to a hotel in burnley for the night before heading back to toton after rest tomorrow to collect my van!

who says freight is glamorous

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

unfortunatly by the time he gets back to the train he will be at the limit of his day so the train will have to sit in the loop until the next driver books on at midnight therefore ive got to sit on it til then, by the time he gets here i'll be at the limit of my day so i'll off to a hotel in burnley for the night before heading back to toton after rest tomorrow to collect my van!

who says freight is glamorous

Burnley....... you have my sympathies.

Cheers,

Mick

Nice photos of Springs Branch and the "new" Liverpool 'leckies Jim. Your photos are unique as they are from lineside locations un accessible to us "public" !!

I've just received a letter from Network Rail today addressed to "Lineside neighbour" regarding Vegetation Management Works Chorley Lane to Wigan NW inviting me to a local information event at a nearby church hall. Apparently the line from Wigan NW to Boars Head (Chorley Lane) is to have many trees cut back, to a distance of 6 metres each side of the lines. The letter gives the reasons why (leaf falls and tree / branches falling on lines etc). I reckon quite a few residents will complain as it is a densely housed area. I certainly won't be complaining as I understand the reasons why, and also perhaps I may get to photograph my local railway a bit better.

Vegetation is rampant also at Springs Branch, Taylors Lane bridge near the old shed entrance just south of where you took your pics. I hope they are to cut this back also. A favourite spot for photos for me since the mid 60's.

Give us a toot next time you pass under the green footbridge just to the south of Boars Head (The old Rylands sidings signal box location) !.

Brit15

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

my dad told me about that pic,

the good thing about that job yesterday was it didnt show on realtime trains (or trust!) so it caught a lot of spotters and fotters out, flying through stafford on the fast at 60mph was funny, watchng everyone run across the platform to try and grab a shot

anyway a few random pics from today, had to get from burnley to toton for my van which isnt as easy as it sounds, the choice is leeds-sheffield-derby or manchester-sheffield-derby or even manchester-crewe-derby, anyway went for the route via leeds along the calder valley as ive never been that way before

burnley manchester road, blackpool bound 158

E9C78800-7AEF-4140-8A23-FC79CEFF43DE.jpg

8C0D4132-7CE4-469B-A98F-2110D812848C.jpg

and over to leeds where luckily this was running 15 late so i managed to get it directly to derby, my booked connection was to sheffield then another change there to derby

1D53551A-FD31-4030-9E37-7D557003E873.jpg

that was about it, taxi to toton and home

tomorrow is a job in derby then ive got 5 days in cardiff learning some new traction, that traction definatly being something obscure i never thought i'd be learning in a million years!

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

tomorrow is a job in derby then ive got 5 days in cardiff learning some new traction, that traction definatly being something obscure i never thought i'd be learning in a million years!

What colour is it?

Cheers,

Mick

Judging by Canton, I saw both Tornado and Braunton on there/near there recently, so a steamer, perhaps? :dontknow:

Excellent pics as per usual Jim, as has been said it's great to have an insight into workings and angles from the line side.

Thanks,

Jack.