Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Premium

37057 forming a 1Z99 rescue loco Canton to Hereford to rescue a failed Colas operated DRS powered Class 37 test train which was blocking the job in Hereford.

Left Canton circa 1650.

Great Western

Green on orange/yellow/black on yellow. Oh dear.

Off to search for suitable donor 37 model............

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

trident trains had a split box small warning panel green 37 in their 2nd hand cabinet earlier which may have done as a donor, its certainly close enough for what i'd want to do with it (ohle flashes, cantrail stripe etc) as i did compare pics but unfortunatly it was factory weathered so no good for it in its present state

37057 is looking good. I would have preferred it in large logo but it's nice to see an older livery for a change.

Is it known when it will be out and about training? Nothing spotted on RTT as of yet.

Nice thread Jim, always interesting to read about your antics.

Cheers

Great photos as usual Jim. Is it me, or are both VTEC HST power cars lacking exhaust deflectors? Is this a new modification? Their cab roofs and windscreens are looking a bit sooty in a retro-1970s kind of way, but nowhere near as grubby as their deflector-equipped EMT cousin, although I'm sure that the VP185 engine is responsible for that.

David

• RMweb Premium

Great photos as usual Jim. Is it me, or are both VTEC HST power cars lacking exhaust deflectors? Is this a new modification? Their cab roofs and windscreens are looking a bit sooty in a retro-1970s kind of way, but nowhere near as grubby as their deflector-equipped EMT cousin, although I'm sure that the VP185 engine is responsible for that.

David

My XC driver mate noticed that the exhaust deflectors were being removed from XC HST's sometime last year - I think it's the MTU fitted power cars.

Cheers,

Mick

My XC driver mate noticed that the exhaust deflectors were being removed from XC HST's sometime last year - I think it's the MTU fitted power cars.

Cheers,

Mick

Interestingly it's a modification or de-modification (whichever way you look at it) that's been taking place on all the MTU fitted HST Power cars for a while now. A good number of FGWs either have the entire exhaust deflector removed, part of the exhaust deflector or the whole thing in place. I think the EC ones had the exhaust port removed from the roof as well (I can't remember whether the PCs with FGW have had theirs removed as well or not) to avoid any contact with sagging OHLE, but it's definitely a modification to all the MTUs.

Hi Jim,

The lighting and clarity, especially in the first shot, is stunning. If these are the "tasters" were they taken on your iphone?

Huge thank you for sharing all your photos. For someone who has no involvement with the railways, they are a fantastic resource.

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic photos as always Jim! Thank you very much for uploading them on a regular basis.

Just out of interest what does the Colas shed at Washwood Heath look like? Do you have any pictures of it either inside or outside that you could upload? Are all of the Colas 47s and 56s stored in there?

Thank you very much in advance.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for the reply Jim.

I think I have only ever seen one or two photos on Facebook of inside Washwood Heath and I think that was on the Boden Rail page or something.

I can understand why though, security reasons been the main one. I'm pretty sure the owner wouldn't want everyone seeing all of the locos and equipment stored inside the depot.

How many lines has the depot got running inside it?

Thank you in advance.

I know it's exaggerated by the telephoto lens, but the track under the VTEC 225 DVT and first coach looks really ropey, with some serious attention needed to the top and line. 50mph over that would surely have the suspension hitting the bump stops. Very different from the billiard table smoothness we aspire to on our layouts. It would take some serious effort to replicate that in miniature.

Thanks for the latest update Jim - crackin' stuff.

David

• RMweb Premium

I know it's exaggerated by the telephoto lens, but the track under the VTEC 225 DVT and first coach looks really ropey, with some serious attention needed to the top and line. 50mph over that would surely have the suspension hitting the bump stops. Very different from the billiard table smoothness we aspire to on our layouts. It would take some serious effort to replicate that in miniature.

Thanks for the latest update Jim - crackin' stuff.

David

No effort required at all with my tracklaying .

Jamie