Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

The HST measures many things - track geometry, track fixings, overhead line position - at high speeds. The coach above is one of the Ultrasonic Test Units (UTU). It only checks the rail itself. I think they run at 30 or 45mph to check the rails.

PLPR, UTU, TIC, TRU, MENTOR, SGT, all various types of test trains, measuring different properties of the railway.

Don't worry Jock - Jim sends me the hi-res stuff for proper fulfilment......

Cheers,

Mick

30 mph when recording on the UTU, 25 on jointed track

as you can imagine its a steep learning curve for me this last few weeks, its not just a case of jumping on and going off around the countryside on a jolly, its one of the most taxing bits of training ive done in a long time, i've got a lot of respect for the guys on the IM trains, its a very skilled job, ok driving 3000 ton oil trains is a skill too but this is a completely different discipline involving a totally different driving style than most guys would be accustomed on the freight side, and even though ive done 50/50 passenger and freight over the years this is also very different to passenger work too, the underlying rules are the same but the rolling stock is totally different to what im used to nd there is a lot to learn on them!

im slowly learning the meanings of the abriviated train names too and getting to know the various formations

My lad lived in Oxford some time ago and found himself at Newcastle with a choice. Voyager across country direct to Oxford, or go via London. He decided to go via London, dropped over from Kings Cross to Paddington, then to Oxford. He was just crossing the footbridge when the Voyager arrived.

Phil,

I bet your dad was more comfortable as well using the route he did, going by what some of the lads in Cornwall say about the Voyager!

Jim,

Amazing work as ever, I imagine you found the challenge an interesting change from the norm - at the rate you're going, you'll end up one of the most experienced drivers on the rails today!

Kind regards,

Jock.

The HST measures many things - track geometry, track fixings, overhead line position - at high speeds. The coach above is one of the Ultrasonic Test Units (UTU). It only checks the rail itself. I think they run at 30 or 45mph to check the rails.

PLPR, UTU, TIC, TRU, MENTOR, SGT, all various types of test trains, measuring different properties of the railway.

Don't worry Jock - Jim sends me the hi-res stuff for proper fulfilment......

Cheers,

Mick

The NMT and Multiple Units also conduct equipment surveys for us Signalling Designers using their cameras on the cab ends.

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Phil,

I bet your dad was more comfortable as well using the route he did, going by what some of the lads in Cornwall say about the Voyager!

Jim,

Amazing work as ever, I imagine you found the challenge an interesting change from the norm - at the rate you're going, you'll end up one of the most experienced drivers on the rails today!

Kind regards,

Jock.

I did Durham to Reading on one last year - definitely quicker than going via London even from that far north and not too uncomfortable (but then I was in the comfier part of the train where the seats are not as narrow although still not as good as an HST of course).  And that is another thing about route options - you can also in some cases choose the one which offers the most 'attractive' (to yourself) stock thus I always used to do Swindon to Crewe via either Newport (when there were still hauled trains on the North & West) or via Bristol Parkway as it avoided the dmu between Swindon and Gloucester/Cheltenham  (even if I did on one occasion finish up floundering around in the dark one night at Berkeley Road helping the Driver trying to sort out the dragging brakes on the rear power car of an HST).

Jim,

What time did you clock on at? I was on a Transpennine last night which was diverted via Ardwick and Romiley and spotted a NR test train running Manchester bound and there was one following my train to Meadow Hall as far as Dore tunnels!

I know there must have been something going on as well the 2 NR trains sat in Stockport Thursday night which I am guessing you would have possibly been on one!

Hi Jim

How many guys are working on the track recording train monitoring the instruments while you're driving? 

Can well understand your buttock-tensing moment when the wheels locked - is that just the wheels on the 37 or throughout the entire train?

Have a good sleep.

Mal

Afternoon Jim,

I was quite surprised to read of the wheel locking problem, not realising that it was still an issue. My father used to suffer it a lot when running downhill from the Ayrshire coal mines with unfitted freshly filled wagons on. I simply hadn't realised that you suffered as much these days with all the rail cleaning technology. Do later locos have any sort of ABS or similar?

Another superb batch of images by the way!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Jim,

I was quite surprised to read of the wheel locking problem, not realising that it was still an issue. My father used to suffer it a lot when running downhill from the Ayrshire coal mines with unfitted freshly filled wagons on. I simply hadn't realised that you suffered as much these days with all the rail cleaning technology. Do later locos have any sort of ABS or similar?

Another superb batch of images by the way!

Kind regards,

Jock.

You'd be surprised Jock at just how much leaf residue is left behind on the rail head even straight after the RHTT has passed through with the jet blasting the rail.

After the leaves have been 'run over' by a few dozen wheels, it looks and feels like the black Teflon coating you see in a frying pan, it also sticks to the rail like it too.

Add in some damp weather and you can imagine the coefficient of friction figure between wheel and rail- zero!

Its certainly a big problem and contrary to popular belief, certainly not unique to GB.

You'd be surprised Jock at just how much leaf residue is left behind on the rail head even straight after the RHTT has passed through with the jet blasting the rail.

After the leaves have been 'run over' by a few dozen wheels, it looks and feels like the black Teflon coating you see in a frying pan, it also sticks to the rail like it too.

Add in some damp weather and you can imagine the coefficient of friction figure between wheel and rail- zero!

Its certainly a big problem and contrary to popular belief, certainly not unique to GB.

So how do other countires cope with it, do they run equivalent RHTT trains, or do they have other methods ?

• RMweb Gold

I suppose there are differnet ways and means depending on the country

Anyhoo, just one from last night, DBSO at lichfield trent valley at 03:45, iphone pic, should have taken it from there to rugby and back then on to derby but the recording was cut short so i just took it straight back to derby via the high level link line towards alrewas, turned it at burton and into derby

8B85B991-A532-4CA8-BD3D-3BE15E5366D9.jpg

Off home to bed now, back in later with another recording run visiting such exotic locations as walsall, nuneaton, coventry and rugeley

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

visiting such exotic locations as walsall, nuneaton, coventry and rugeley

You sure know how to live the high life - my works trips have been to boring places such as Botswana, Malaysia (twice), Israel (7 times) and Greece (twice) - although I did also get sent to Crewe and Mansfield !! The problem was that you never got any time to yourself and in particular in Israel in late 1990s and early 2000s, we were very much confined to the hotel or office - but then again who would have given a second thought to visiting Paris until last weekend's events.

• RMweb Premium

I suppose there are differnet ways and means depending on the country

Anyhoo, just one from last night, DBSO at lichfield trent valley at 03:45, iphone pic, should have taken it from there to rugby and back then on to derby but the recording was cut short so i just took it straight back to derby via the high level link line towards alrewas, turned it at burton and into derby

8B85B991-A532-4CA8-BD3D-3BE15E5366D9.jpg

Off home to bed now, back in later with another recording run visiting such exotic locations as walsall, nuneaton, coventry and rugeley

You could have made a fortune selling tickets for that route to track bashers.  Perhaps an opportunity for NR.

Jamie

• Like 2

Hi Jim

How many guys are working on the track recording train monitoring the instruments while you're driving? 

Depends on the train and recording required, usually 2-4. I once took one out on calibration to Old Dalby with a double figure crew, eleven vehicles, two 67s, three drivers and a fitter.

Gary H,

Thanks for the reply above about the leaves. The Clacton to Liverpool Street line passes by the bottom of our garden, and I did wonder why we had two RHTT events per day at the moment. Excitement with two 57s topping and tailing it after seeing only 360 EMUs most of the year! It occurs to me that electric traction brings another dimension in to play. On an electrified line, the current earths through the rails and that presumably helps the coating action? Too heavy a coating might also cause reliability issues.

Jim, yet another lovely night shot, I hope you are able to enjoy the variety you seem to be getting at the moment?

Kind regards,

Jock?

PS Gary, not much action on the Kernow Today thread sadly?