RMweb

Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

When I left the Fire Brigade to start as a train driver the exit interview was optional, they are a bit pointless anyway.

In my firm it’s known (unofficially) as a HIPPO day. Hand In Pass + **** Off.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers everyone

Well that’s really it, van gone, equipment handed back and not so much as a thank you or hand shake for the last 5 years of my working life, just a cardboard box with the stuff they needed back dumped unceremoniously in the control room, no manager to give me a leaving interview, nothing!

A proper kick in the teeth for me for all I’ve done for them the last 5 years, never felt so dejected in my life when I walked out the door for the last time

Thanks for ###### all Colas!

Hi Jim,

Respect and loyalty seem to be diminishing factors the world over, worst luck. I took a lady out a few nights ago, first date, and at the end of it she turned out and said “thank you, I cannot recall the last time somebody opened every door for me, or didn’t swear once during the date.” I was a bit taken aback, and not bragging in anyway, but surely that is just respect and civility isn’t it?

However, in your case Jim, I wouldn’t feel dejected. I’d say well they are being selfish so, so will I. Look at what I achieved through working for them. Yes it’s a job, but one you do because you enjoy, not to aid their profit margin! The various classes, you signed, the routes you travelled, the things you got to do, and above all, it was the company attitude that got you to where you are now - with GBRf. Nobody or company is perfect but the few GB drivers and staff I know always tell me it’s a good company to work for - I am on the outside looking in of course, but I suspect your in for some happier days. John Smith once said to me, the guys on the ground are what makes the business, yes you expect them to pull you out of the #### when it does wrong, but you treat them right in the first place so they want the company to succeed, and they want to help out when it is going pair-shaped.

How many other TOCs run staff charters for the families?

Don’t be dejected because you feel unappreciated, be grateful for what you got to do, and happy that your starting a new chapter and your where you want to be. I suspect not that many people can say that about their job!

Good luck mate.

Rich

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Anyway new page, let’s be positive from now on!

The best thing about today was just before I got to Rugby k-Klass ‘rhythm is a mystery’ came on the radio followed by ‘you got the love’ by the source feat candy staton!

Having spoke to my new manager at GBRf it looks like I may well be out driving trains by the end of next week once I’ve done my rules, pts and had a practical assessment as I don’t need to refresh any locos and there are plenty of routes I can go straight out on

• Like 18

The best thing about today was just before I got to Rugby k-Klass ‘rhythm is a mystery’ came on the radio followed by ‘you got the love’ by the source feat candy staton!

Having spoke to my new manager at GBRf it looks like I may well be out driving trains by the end of next week once I’ve done my rules, pts and had a practical assessment as I don’t need to refresh any locos and there are plenty of routes I can go straight out on

Tunezzzzz! I suspect those two songs may not be familiar to many rmwebbers!

k-Klass ... first class :D

New chapter in your career and life Jim.  You simply don't need to look back.

I joined BR in July 1978 and ended up with Trainload Freight West then Transrail before EWS took it all over. I was told in May 2001 that Bescot would be desupervised and my job would be over 50 miles away in Toton. I wasn't prepared to do that so resigned and went to Virgin in Birmingham. My last shift was a Thursday night turn and I drove away at 0600 Friday morning with plenty of goodbyes from the crew but not a jot from the management.  That taught me what loyal service actually means to a poor company.

My one and only long service award was for ten years with my current TOC 2001-2011 and my 40 years in the railway industry was marked on 24th July by being off sick with double vision, not being able to drive or work. Really hoping it will be resolved and I can go back to work real soon because I am too young to retire !!!

Not sure if GBRf will be your saviour Jim, but most parts of the industry involve you just being a number and a name. Wish you all the very best         

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 2

I have an on line form to fill out but I’m not going to, putting nothing in writing as knowing HR they will use it against me somehow

TBH one of the managers the other week, having only met him once before said that when I left I was going to be very detrimental to the comapny by going on line and slagging off the company as all the other drivers have done so, as you can imagine I went absolutely mad with him and pointed out I had almost 200 pages of nothing but positive posts about Colas on here and I suggested he have a look and reconsider what he said to me before ‘assuming’ I would do the same, todays experience however has seriously soured my opinion of Colas middle management, I’m now waiting to see how much of a hash they make if my final paybill!

Love

Disgruntled of crewe

Agreed but a thank you would have been nice at least!

I even delayed my departure for a day to help them out yesterday with the NMT as they had no driver for it

Jim,

First off, I wish you all the best with GB. You did great things at Colas and I’m sorry there wasn’t any fanfare to you leaving albeit there were no senior managers on today (that I could see). Doesn’t make it right or even close albeit it is holiday season.

I hope the middle manager you refer to in this post wasn’t aimed at me (I manage train planning, performance, etc, think Scott) however if it was we definitely didn’t have the conversation referenced as I distinctly remember saying I was a fan of your posts. It’s been great to see how you’ve engaged people with how important modern Railfreight is.

Either way, I’m glad you’ve decided to take a positive high ground with this blog and focus on the future. it’s a very small industry and you don’t know who might be reading this! I’ve yet to meet anyone in the rail industry whose profited from burning bridges.

Either way, all TOCs/FOCs/other companies outside the industry have similar failures disregardless of how it may seem on the outside. There’s lots of good too!

Here’s sincerely wishing you all the best for team blue. Rail freight is driven by yours and countless others efforts which altogether benefit GB PLC regardless of livery. I look forward to hearing about your adventures at GB.

If you happen to be passing Rugby in the future and have spare time please pop up for a brew!

Greg

Just remember Jim with people above you........ The higher they climb the further they fall. You could be talking to one in a few years time. Oh and what might you say " Big Mac and Fries please" the please might be optional.

One general manager I worked with who was Australian had a very clear policy. No matter who walked into our offices they would all be treated the same from the office cleaner to the Chairman. We would talk to everyone. His theory was even the office cleaner might come up with that light bulb moment which the rest of us could not see.

I know its hard to say but you must forget yesterday but look forward to driving next week. Knowing your luck you might get the ex Colas 60 600047 seen on rail cam passing the York camera.

All the best with GBrF

Keith

• Like 2

As a fellow worker in the rail industry I would like to wish you all the best with your move Jim. Bad days happen to us all I'm sure, hopefully they are outweighed by far more good (or at least, routine) ones.

When Holywell Junction SB closed in March as part of the North Wales Coast Resignalling, I moved to Croes Newydd which has a fairly recent NX panel along with single line sections and the level crossing right outside the box, and initially I found it hard to settle during training, plus had a week in York on the TCB conversion. (In driving terms possibly akin to driving class 25s for years then moving onto a class 88 :jester: ).

But with each passing day and issue I felt more at ease, so I hope this is the case with yourself.

Best wishes,

Martyn.

Good luck with your new job Jim. As somebody who managed (lorry) drivers once I always used to shake hands with the drivers who left for a new job and wish them well, irrespective of if I got on with them or not, it was common decent manners that seems to be missing in so many junior managers these days. The world is quite small and you never know when your paths may cross again.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

It isn't just rail where management appear not to appreciate their staff, when I took VR in 2004 from a major bank not one senior manager bothered to talk to me or see me before I left. The situation was different when I retired last year from a Life Insurer. Being made redundant by the bank was the best thing that company ever did for me ...

• RMweb Premium

It isn't just rail where management appear not to appreciate their staff, when I took VR in 2004 from a major bank not one senior manager bothered to talk to me or see me before I left. The situation was different when I retired last year from a Life Insurer. Being made redundant by the bank was the best thing that company ever did for me ...

My Missus worked for a council in the 1990s and they were offering VR to slim their workforce.

Having decided she had had enough she applied for VR but it was refused on the grounds that she was a too valuable member of staff.

(She was the office encyclopedia and had a very good memory so was often in demand when somebody wanted to know something from the past)

Obviously she was so valuable they they would give her an upgrade or pay rise? No way.

She left anyway and the cheek of it, they started 'phoning her for advice! That didn't last long when it became obvious she was none too happy about it.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Good luck in the new job, Jim. The common courtesies have all gone in the world of work nowadays. When I was responsible for recruiting staff all applicants got a reply even if it was to say we read your letter but sorry, you haven't got an interview. Now you are lucky to get an acknowledgement. When I was on the depot I spoke to everyone who handed in their resignation or got promotion to another depot. You never know, he could come back as your boss in five years. I did actually head-hunt and train a person who became my boss just before I retired. I had also ended up as the boss over a couple of people who had trained me as a youngster

During the early days of privatisation I had a serious set-to with a Railtrack Project Manager. He was bordering on abusive towards me during a meeting so I put my pen away, closed my book and walked out of the room rather than lose my temper with him. I only went back when he apologised to me in front of the rest of the meeting. A few weeks later he had been replaced and was moved to a job where he was certifying the amount of work done on site against claims for payment by contractors. 

Fast forward a few years and I was putting together a bid team for a contract in partnership with a Civils firm. We needed certain other subcontractors for elements of the work and when we were assessing likely outfits who should turn up in the team representing one of them but a certain former Project Manager. For some reason he seemed a little uncomfortable during the question and answer session.

• Like 6

I have just managed to catch up on the last three pages Jim. I have to say that I am shocked by the way you were treated as you left the company following five years of great service. I have, like so many others, thoroughly enjoyed your postings on here. It has given me a real insight into the workings of the modern railways. I would like to wish you all the best in your new job and look forward to seeing pictures and reading posts about the next stage of your career.

Good luck.

Hi Jim,

First time poster on this thread, but I have followed it probably as back as your Chiltern days.

I have probably seen or heard you coming through Solihull with either Chiltern or Colas trains on many occasions.

Sorry to hear that things have turned out a bit sour with Colas.

They seem to have a bit of a management communication problem but then as others have pointed out this seems to be a common failing these days and by no means just confined to the railway industry.

Anyway thanks for the interesting photos and best wishes for your new job with GBRF.

One thing I have been meaning to ask you for some time is how do you manage to maintain up to date knowledge of and consequently sign for so much route mileage and different traction?.

To me it seems your route knowledge exceeds that of even the legendary Saltley crews of days gone by !.

Best wishes

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

so there we have it, first day out of the way, nowt to see though, the place we were in was next to the mainline so lots passing by in the middle distance, hst, iep, 91s etc

PTS done, rules tomorrow, got IT equipment all set up, someone from rosters/t+c dept came to see us and explained how proper rostering worked etc, all looking pretty positive so far

all was going well until i left and caught the edge of the wheel of my car in a pothole and ripped a hole in the sidewall of the passenger tyre of my car, bit gutted as the car didn't miss a beat on the 250 mile drive down from carlisle last night, now its sat on an odd wheel until i can get a tyre for it, fortunatly its a full size spare not a space saver so i can wait to get a part worn from walsall for £50 as opposed to £179 from kwikfit!

off into london this evening to catch a show..........

wonder if you can guess which one?

• Like 6