Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, big jim said:

I did look out for you as I passed through cov! 

Was it you on 4M68 as the signaller wouldn't give me the road as it was running a little early...

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Did the sleeper get to its destinations? I thought Scotrand's railways closed down.

Jonathan

It got to Glasgow 

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C20722/2024-01-22/detailed#allox_id=0

4 minutes ago, CovDriver said:

I was held up outside Northampton this morning waiting for 66701 on the ballast to come through via platform 1 and onto the up/down slow. 

there seemed to be a lot of freight heading through Northampton this morning around the same time, my train pulled into rugby at 07:05 which was the same time as the LM was due to depart hence the people on the platform, I didn’t hang about with it though

the DB train of autoballasters that went though before mine was the remnants of the one that came off at mitre bridge, only noticed because as it passed I spotted the rear wagon had a buckeye rather than buffers and drawbar, it was 11 wagons apparently, 4 left begind, Bescot yard were trying to figure out how to shunt it around when I got there! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

We're going on the sleeper to Fort William at the start of November.  Hoping for a 73/9 on the last leg; GBRf often put a shed on if a 73 isn't available, and it won't be in midnight teal either!

the 73 has to be on the train to provide the ETH so you’ll defiantly get one on there, I think the fort William service is normally a 66/73 combo 

• Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, big jim said:

the 73 has to be on the train to provide the ETH so you’ll defiantly get one on there, I think the fort William service is normally a 66/73 combo 

What's the 66 for?  To avoid a runaround at Fort William?  I know they use a 66 or similar to bring the outbound train into Euston.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rogerzilla said:

What's the 66 for?  To avoid a runaround at Fort William?  I know they use a 66 or similar to bring the outbound train into Euston.

The 66 is there for traction as a single 73/9 isn't up to the task of traction and heat. As Jim says, the 73/9 is to provide an electric train supply.

Similarly, it will have been a 92 on the Euston leg.

66s cannot provide electric train supply.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

The 66 is there for traction as a single 73/9 isn't up to the task of traction and heat. As Jim says, the 73/9 is to provide an electric train supply.

Similarly, it will have been a 92 on the Euston leg.

66s cannot provide electric train supply.

Yes, the 16 coach leg is pulled by a 92 but I think they use a 66 to bring it into the platform.  I suppose there isn't a dedicated station pilot these days, with most trains being double-ended.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

Yes, the 16 coach leg is pulled by a 92 but I think they use a 66 to bring it into the platform.  I suppose there isn't a dedicated station pilot these days, with most trains being double-ended.

@Erixtar1992 is your man for that info, he does the sleeper shunts 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

They currently use a 92 at Glasgow to take the ECS from Polmadie to Central - with a dead 92 on the rear - that becomes the train loco to Euston.

As Jim says, Erixtar will hopefully confirm the Euston operation.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, big jim said:

And has been so for a number of years….well at least it certainly was in the summer of 2021 which is when I saw it parked up outside Fort William station. Worth a look at RealTime Trains which gives you both train&traction information .

• RMweb Gold

Ive not seen a 66 at Euston on the sleepers before, its always been a 92…

The mode ive observed is

1. the Highlander sleeper arrives ecs with a 92 either end.

2. it detached the one at the blocks and heads north.

3. Meanwhile the Lowlander ecs arrives and uncouples its loco.

4. The ecs loco off the highlander then runs out and couples to the front of the lowlander.

5. lowlander heads north.

6. LE back to Wembley.

The morning, is the above but in reverse order.

Ive not seen any variation of this with 3 class 92’s used, since the mk3’s were stood down, except for ecml diverts, when both trains were top and tailed, to/from wembley, and uses 4 class 92’s, or if one of them wasnt running at all.

if a 66 is being used, I’d be pretty keen to photograph it, do any have compatible couplings ?

Up in scotland the 66 has always been lead loco, with the 73 inside (unless it was 2x 73’s) , though I understand 37403 is on standby, but requires a 73 also for the coupling translator.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3