Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

2 hours ago, big jim said:

Yesterday was cancelled as was todays mainline run

These tests do seem to be cancelled a lot. Do you know if they are booked on a "we might not need to do a run but we'll book everything just in case" or are they runs that should have gone ahead but don't because something has gone wrong somewhere?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

They have to plan the paths in advance as well as the test crew, test train operator and driver amongst other things

it could cancelled if there’s an issue or it might just be that the testing thats been planned is complete, sometimes if that happens then it will go out and do another part of the required testing schedule if it’s possible 

As it happens tomorrow’s run is cancelled too so I’m now just spare (hoping not to get a call!) 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

10 hours ago, big jim said:

They have to plan the paths in advance as well as the test crew, test train operator and driver amongst other things

it could cancelled if there’s an issue or it might just be that the testing thats been planned is complete, sometimes if that happens then it will go out and do another part of the required testing schedule if it’s possible 

As it happens tomorrow’s run is cancelled too so I’m now just spare (hoping not to get a call!) 

Ha ha you wish !!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

And only a phone call away for Tuesday and Thursday.

Paul.

fully expecting it! 

nothing on the vacancy list I could catch but I’m in position to cover sickness or out of course issues 

by the sound of it I’ve dodged a bullet this weekend with issues at Ely and Leamington @Siggie in the east might be able to confirm the Anglia issues 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, big jim said:

fully expecting it! 

nothing on the vacancy list I could catch but I’m in position to cover sickness or out of course issues 

by the sound of it I’ve dodged a bullet this weekend with issues at Ely and Leamington @Siggie in the east might be able to confirm the Anglia issues 

Ely was a sh*t sh*w from about 19:00 last night until mid morning - trains stacking up on the approach as far back as Leicester, things started moving for a while and then went t**s up again and just as things started to improve 66017 developed an AWS fault over Ely North Junction and screwed the job further for a good while -the bobbies at Cambridge had a job getting things moving again as there were so many trains but eventually it all settled down from around mid morning although residual cancellations were around for a while.

Lots of red on the passing times - https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:XYE/2024-02-10/0000-1100?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

16 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

Ely was a sh*t sh*w from about 19:00 last night until mid morning - trains stacking up on the approach as far back as Leicester, things started moving for a while and then went t**s up again and just as things started to improve 66017 developed an AWS fault over Ely North Junction and screwed the job further for a good while -the bobbies at Cambridge had a job getting things moving again as there were so many trains but eventually it all settled down from around mid morning although residual cancellations were around for a while.

Lots of red on the passing times - https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:XYE/2024-02-10/0000-1100?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

Yes Guilty your honour !!! it was me

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Yes Ely was not looking good Friday when I was last in. All we heard at Colchester was that there had been a massive signalling failure at Ely, one driver saw fire and sparks coming from lineside equipment and then we were getting calls from control asking us not to let any liners up from Felixstowe unless they were going via North London. Coupled with all our own issues on the NYL and GEML, it made for a sh*te Friday afternoon. Haven't been in since so not sure how it's going now, but back Monday night and expecting a difficult night.

Cheers

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

13 hours ago, beast66606 said:

What was the headcode of 66017? Only ask as we had a liner "fail" twice between Stowmarket and Haughley Jn and was wondering if it was that.

Cheers

5 hours ago, Siggie in the east said:

What was the headcode of 66017? Only ask as we had a liner "fail" twice between Stowmarket and Haughley Jn and was wondering if it was that.

Cheers

No we were the very late running 4L76, basically DB took the decision to let it leave EMG after network rail promised road would be open at 21.30, I relieved at Peterborough at 03.50. after it was held back, we made it as far as Manea, waitng for the 4 in front to get remanned, 2 in front of me got Run round at Ely,  as we were 100m from the Station, 66017 decided AWS was function negative and came to an abrupt halt. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, berwicksfinest said:

66017 decided AWS was function negative and came to an abrupt halt. 

I had that happen to me on a Networker, right across Lewisham junction. Eventually reset the AWS ok but I'd dropped into a third rail gap with an 8 car unit. The only option was to have the 8 car behind me attach to my tail and push me through. I had control of all 16 cars but we were going to Charing Cross that can only hold 12 cars so had to split the train in the platform at London Bridge. Of course this kind of thing only ever happens in the rush hour, shut the whole job up for a while :)

Andi

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, ELTEL said:

Jim 

Could you make it a bit later as I have had a long day at Doncaster today .  🤪

Terry 

sorry, I want a short day!

it was booked via the usual route of burton-water orton-Sutton park and Stafford etc but I managed to get it rerouted the short way, saves a good 75 miles and 2 hours

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, big jim said:

Longport 

56081 and 56303

IMG_4804.jpeg

This is my loco for Fridays test run, 69011, I tried to arrange for 56081 to be the ‘insurance loco’ but it’s got to be a 66 so they can be electrically multied up incase of any issues.

IMG_4806.jpeg

Next job is a hinksey to bescot light loco on Wednesday unless I get something tomorrow at the last minute 

Oh no, so is that the end for 56081 ?

69011’s body side is as wrinkly as a plastic bag !
Going to need some extra filler for that one !

• Like 1