Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, SM42 said:

Bescot to Donnington ( assume this is the one near Telford)   might be a  long way round trip,  if you can even get there,  given yesterday's landslip 

it’s booked via crewe both ways anyway so I’ll get there, just been to Wellington shopping and the station car park is noticeably empty compared to normal so it goes to show how many people use the train into the likes of brum 

I’ve seen pics of the landslide and it’s pretty much where new Hadley station used to be, the whole area was a derelict wasteland until about 3 years ago, looked like old quarry workings, then surprise surprise it was developed into a housing estate with new roads and paved areas and low and behold a landslide happens! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

16 hours ago, big jim said:

it’s booked via crewe both ways anyway so I’ll get there, just been to Wellington shopping and the station car park is noticeably empty compared to normal so it goes to show how many people use the train into the likes of brum 

I’ve seen pics of the landslide and it’s pretty much where new Hadley station used to be, the whole area was a derelict wasteland until about 3 years ago, looked like old quarry workings, then surprise surprise it was developed into a housing estate with new roads and paved areas and low and behold a landslide happens! 

It beggars belief that the people who come up with these plans for housing estates  and the planning authorities that then allow the building to take place still never seem to learn that this sort of thing occurs.  Maybe Network Rail should send the bill to the local planning authority for causing the land slip ………

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, 45156 said:

Readers of ERs and Night Mail will already know that I spent 10 weeks in hospital with a chest infection (actually pheumonia), was discharged after a week before it was fully cleared, and then readmitted for 9 weeks with pus on my left lung, the antibiotics they used were so strong that they left me vulnerable in other parts, resulting in two bouts of c diff, but also encephalitis, sepis, and a stroke - now recovering at home.  I am mainly posting this to let those who are only active here know how I'm getting on and why I've not been posting.

Stewart

Get well soon,

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Is that the multi story car park in the background in the first picture behind 66735? When I was a kid one of the treats was to go to Aylesbury shopping centre (it did have a good Our Price!!!!) and I always remember looking out from it over the station in the hope of seeing a little class25 stabled in the station over the weekend which was always quite special and away from the normal stuff I would see at Oxford and Didcot. Thanks for the tones this morning, I'll try and catch you later 😎

• Like 2

On 13/03/2024 at 19:54, big jim said:

Same(ish) again job, started in Aylesbury today though, access was via the carriage sidings 

IMG_5214.jpeg

Into the station again 

IMG_5215.jpeg

IMG_5217.jpeg

IMG_5216.jpeg

changing ends in risborough 

IMG_5218.jpeg

IMG_5219.jpeg

and into hinksey 

IMG_5220.jpeg

Donnington tomorrow 

Thanks for pics of Aylesbury liked the shot of the sidings  when the train reached Risboro did you run round to face Brum?

On 14/03/2024 at 19:45, big jim said:

That’s the multi-storey that’s attached to the shopping precinct with a bridge over the A41

lookjng forward to seeing the vid from our return trip, told my trainee you’d probably be there! 

today was bescot to Donnington and back with just 4 empty wagons going in 

IMG_5224.jpeg

uncoupling 

IMG_5225.jpeg

running round 

IMG_5226.jpeg

didn’t take long to load so we were early and as the line beyond Wellington is blocked due to a landslide we had the line to ourselves so we went into the station for our break, road learned the route to the pick and mix stall in the market! 
IMG_5227.jpeg

ran round in crewe where we got the shock of our lives as our CEO John Smith appeared at our side window as we were waiting for the signal to continue the run round, had a brief chat before continuing the run round and coupling up, there are a couple of vids and pics on twitter 

LSL were testing 60532 “Blue Peter” within their yard and I’ve got to say it’s an absolute stunner, finished in express loco blue, blowing off nicely, managed to get to the end of the ramp and grab a piccie 

IMG_5230.jpeg

we headed off via Stoke for some reason to Stafford where I was supposed it get off and travel home to crewe due to the turn length but my relief didn’t bring my hire car back from bescot for me so I had to stay on board to go and collect it! 

DB 66 passing bescot as I got off

IMG_5231.jpeg

short job tomorrow Nuneaton to crewe

Good God is that shopping precinct still there? Very 1960's concrete I seem to remember but the Our Price was always well stocked!!!!!

So apologies for the delay in posting the video, I was rambling around on the trains in Devon on Friday and have had the weekend with my daughter. Were you held up from Shrewsbury by the local stopper? Apologies for cutting the front cab off sometimes (in the winter especially) I never know whether to follow the wagons for modelling details or the loco, I went with the wagons but then felt it was a short train and tried to catch up with the loco 🤣 Thanks for the tones

• Like 14

On 17/03/2024 at 10:55, Iron Horse said:

Good God is that shopping precinct still there? Very 1960's concrete I seem to remember but the Our Price was always well stocked!!!!!

I believe the car park was rebuilt around 1992 in conjunction with the shopping precinct being rebuilt/remodelled. It was also about the same time Chiltern remodelled Aylesbury Station and built the depot. I went there as a boy with my Dad and did a guided walk of the depot and station and Chiltern also held a model railway exhibition and trade stalls on the platforms. It does have a covered walkway over to the shops and then out into the town square. Been 21 years since I last visited there 😬

Hope that was useful. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, big jim said:

into the station where a brand new 805010 was sat waiting to go to Holyhead,

First one I’ve seen with the branding on.  Is it just the end cars with all the others still white?

Paul.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

First one I’ve seen with the branding on.  Is it just the end cars with all the others still white?

Paul.

there are quite a few around now, all the coaches are vinyl’d up 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

You wouldn't have taken that many photos 30 years ago.

Many thanks for all the pics you post. Very informative of the current railway. 

But they don't make me want to model it.

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Do you have to arrange for the hire car to be returned when you get a changed turn at short notice?  Or do Control do Road vehicles too?

Paul.