Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

29 minutes ago, big jim said:

See, I said he’d know!

I’ll no doubt end up learning the sleepers at some point when I switch depots, got to learn south of rugby first though 

I assumed you signed to london already? Tbf rugby-euston isnt bad. 

92s are nice to drive also, though its always a nervous trip wondering which end will go bang first. They normally get you home, but its a different style of driving. Treat them gently and do everything one at a time so the computers can keep up.

as for 66s, no chance south of scotland other than failures.

They cant physically couple to Mk5’s hence you always have to have a 92/73 in between.
they only use them in jockland when short of 73s for traction.  The 73/9’s can work in multi with a 66 but you have to have a 73 on the train to power it.

cant send a 73 down south if short of 92s either as they wont power or pull a full rake.

the only loco in the UK (atm) thats powerful enough for a full mk5 sleeper set is a 92. Nice bit of job security lol. 

the only time youd ever see a 66 hauling the full train would be if it fails somewhere and we are short of 92’s, but the failed engine can still run to power the train.  The 66 could then go on the front of the limping 92 and drag the train.

this has happened but with the tunnel 92s (they dont have dellner/mk5 mods)

Edited by Erixtar1992
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, toby_tl10 said:

20240127_130210.jpg.2ce4aaa027560a5a9c27afdc9ba6735f.jpg

Spotted your train whilst on Mam Tor today, what a coincidence

yeah I did see you and wave!!

it does look funny from the bottom of the valley to see lines of walkers heading along the ridge, look like ants, there seemed to be a lot up there

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big jim said:

yeah I did see you and wave!!

it does look funny from the bottom of the valley to see lines of walkers heading along the ridge, look like ants, there seemed to be a lot up there

Yeah we saw you wave at us. I was in a group of around 100, there were lots other people too.

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, toby_tl10 said:

Yeah we saw you wave at us. I was in a group of around 100, there were lots other people too.

100 people, were you rambling or invading? 

• Like 2
  • Funny 5