Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

Nice set of photos even in the rain. Although I have lived in the areas for 33 years I have never travelled over the Camden Road to Primrose Hill section. Suspect its going to end up having to be some tour or other as no current timetabled service I am aware of. 

• RMweb Premium

Nice set of photos even in the rain. Although I have lived in the areas for 33 years I have never travelled over the Camden Road to Primrose Hill section. Suspect its going to end up having to be some tour or other as no current timetabled service I am aware of. 

Watch out for engineering work as London Overground use it quite a bit when they have bits of their line closed. I have managed to do it twice in the last few years.

• RMweb Premium

Watch out for engineering work as London Overground use it quite a bit when they have bits of their line closed. I have managed to do it twice in the last few years.

Many years ago I did it in on the short lived Eurostar connecting HST going from Waterloo to Doncaster. We had a lovely set of routes including the Latchmere curves and some sidings near Willesden where we reversed before running down to Primrose Hill then left to Camden Road and along to the then North London Incline where we changed crews for the run up the ECML.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Gold

Many years ago I did in on the short lived Eurostar connecting HST going from Waterloo to Doncaster. We had a lovely set of routes including the Latchmere curves and some sidings near Willesden where we reversed before running down to Primrose Hill then left to Camden Road and along to the then North London Incline where we changed crews for the run up the ECML.

Jamie

Yes - a fascinating and quite rare bit of track bashing but oddly it never really seemed to get much attention with very few passengers.

Yes - a fascinating and quite rare bit of track bashing but oddly it never really seemed to get much attention with very few passengers.

Back in the days of Anglia trains, a cross London service was introduced using the NLL to reach the South Western.

Several limited stop trains a day ran between Basingstoke and Chelmsford or Colchester using their then brand new 100 mph Turbostar units.

One Saturday I upgraded to first class (for a fiver) and enjoyed a fascinating trip going all the way (Basingstoke to Colchester) in the relative luxury of their rather nice 2+1 seating.

One stop only on the NLL at West Hampstead where our train was greeted by a platform of very bemused locals not sure what to make of us.

It was certainly the way to do the NLL I had only been that way once before in a class 501 hardly the best way to see a railway.

The service initiative was quietly dropped, after a short while, for reasons more to do with operational than lack of use, which was a shame.

• RMweb Gold

just a few from today, 70810 bescot to derby for tyre turning, nice to wind it up to 75mph where i could!

ive driven this a few times but this is the forst time ive seen it with this nameplate

67A2D460-0269-4015-8BD4-623B4D78CED7.jpg

7F355CB4-A866-4572-9BFF-4D242E766B9D.jpg

royal 67 and my 70

5DB9FD8B-7451-4678-9380-B6BCA7D4EF54.jpg

and another 70 at the other end

9466E5D3-CCB8-49A9-A722-CC2CD0182AFD.jpg

and onto etches having been through the wash plant, wasnt planned but it came on as i aproached it so it got a wash, sat on scotches as i had to isolate various bits and bobs to allow them to tyre turn it tomorrow

27B15F59-3E8B-480A-BA56-8D728527B041.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

funnily enough it did cross my mind yesterday that its odd they have the word 'freight' on the side, 'colas rail' may have been a better option as some of the 47s have

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

funnily enough it did cross my mind yesterday that its odd they have the word 'freight' on the side, 'colas rail' may have been a better option as some of the 47s have

The first batch of Colas 66s 841-845 only had Colas Rail on the side. 846-850 carry the full Colas Rail Freight wording.

Cheers,

Mick

I don't know if this has been said before, but aren't class 67s a passenger class?

Well they were originally ordered for Royal Mail traffic does that make them a passenger class.

Nowadays they're a solution mostly in search of a problem though it was never clear to me why Chiltern felt the need to replace them on their Chiltern Mainline operation though I'm guessing someone will know.

• RMweb Premium

Well they were originally ordered for Royal Mail traffic does that make them a passenger class.

Nowadays they're a solution mostly in search of a problem though it was never clear to me why Chiltern felt the need to replace them on their Chiltern Mainline operation though I'm guessing someone will know.

The 67s have been acquired by Colas to work test trains that require a bit more speed than a 37 - such as 100mph runs with Mentor.

There are various reasons - valid or otherwise - as to why the 67s were replaced by 68s, Take your pick.

Reliability and cost are usually quoted.

Having said that, the 67s have negated the need for Colas to hire in 68s from DRS to work the high speed tests.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

today was definatly a HST kind of day, travelled down to Cheltenham to work the NMT back to Deby via great malvern, obviously i dont sign down there so i had another driver with me until i could take over at kidderminster

only a few pics 

XC HST in Cheltenham

DSCF3681%202.jpg

DSCF3683%202.jpg

DSCF3684.jpg

DSCF3685.jpg

then my train came in and we headed off to worcester

DSCF3686.jpg

DSCF3687.jpg

then to malvern wells and back via kidderminster and bescot to derby

AD481D6E-CFCA-4C86-91C1-62D47E6F8B49.jpg

DSCF3689.jpg

a nice day and great to be able to get a good bit of high speed running in between water orton and derby, pretty much 100mph all the way, i have to have more training to allow me to do 125mph which i hope i get soon!

ferme park again tomorrow for a trip to marks tey and liverpool st

edit: a vid of me passing through old hill

Edited by big jim
  • Like 18

Fuel usage was the main reason behind the replacement of the 67's on Chiltern services, at Notch 8 (Which they needed to use most of the journey) fuel consumption was very high.

• RMweb Gold

Last night was "the only way is Essex"

Ferme park to marks tey, back to Liverpool st and away to ferme park again, yet again 37057, the only loco I've worked out of there!

Just camera phone pics last night

626030E1-FDD9-48AD-A4FB-CACCDE858995.jpg

Liverpool st

D3606F3E-0F9C-4CA5-8B01-DF4D76786FD4.jpg

7276960F-8B20-410B-8877-F5FD8C1BC544.jpg

53597E69-1E78-4E1B-B6E3-45C28BEB3CBF.jpg

I was having a look and 37057 was a Stratford engine back in the early 80s and worked out ofbliverpool st a fair bit on the great eastern so it was like taking it home for the night, similarly the DBSO is also an ex anglia one too!

28F517EC-5CA4-4CC7-8045-EC534E3B447E.jpg

And back at ferme park, facing the opposite way thanks to doing both sides of the triangle at Stratford

3D0E95A6-02CD-43C6-8A9F-2A77CB93E942.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Only a couple from today

Pair of 97s heading off to Newport to work a railtour via the heart of wales

EE9FA636-C40A-4EAD-957E-A2F9A34C030B.jpg

And one for Mick on deadmans lane, one of the voyagers that work past the RTC for route retention

D5844012-4164-45BC-BAC5-9898E5B104DD.jpg

• Like 11