Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

Seen on another forum that Colas have recently added West Burton, Eggborough Power Station, Drax Power Station and Redcar Mineral Terminal to their locations list on TOPS. Have Colas won some new traffic flows recently?

who knows!

anyway some from last night, 70801 basford hall to shrewsbury then dropping rails near church stretton, just iphone pics again

AB28F051-47D0-4CED-8C31-F431DFAA0332.jpg

849FB664-6578-4303-980F-1CF8E77DA5EC.jpg

2073E71A-D149-499A-86B8-07C96624A370.jpg

• Like 16

I have been a long time lurker on rmweb, and this thread is probably one of my favourites with some excellent photos from Jim.

Thanks for taking the time to give us an excellent insight into the work of a Colas driver.

In fact, it is this thread that persuaded me to start collecting Colas liveried stock with a view to a Colas themed layout at some stage in the future.

It looks like it will be an expensive year with the Hornby 60, Bachmann 70 and the Bachmann 37 and 47 all due in Colas livery. I will be broke but happy lol.

Once again, thanks for all the pics and info Jim. It really is appreciated by a lot on here.

• RMweb Gold

Since your a colas driver, do you know any more on the state of 67023 and 027 which i believe belong to colas now?

I believe one is at Toton and the other at crewe getting refurbished, other than that I know nowt (that I will put up here anyway!)

• RMweb Premium

Nice pictures Big Jim.

37608 dose not look right with out a head code panel fitted.

37884 I saw at "Phillips st Marsh depot" open day looks far nice at the front. 

post-6815-0-26551400-1484946737.jpg

post-6815-0-37835300-1484946753.jpg

I shall get some flax over this, yes it is a matter of taste, but that me.

I apologise if I high jacked this topic Big Jim.

Terry    

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Isn't Aberthaw coal powered? I'm sure I've seen coal trains heading there past my office in Cardiff.

https://binged.it/2jHWtrE

Aberthaw B is basically coal fired but currently reportedly burns some biomass as well.  The coal fired stations need oil for lighting up the furnaces from cold and I think virtually all of them have had that feature and thus needed an oil supply.