Bachmann Stanier mogul

Sam*45110*SVR

An interesting observation. We have seen production of Western locomotives progress/regress from Japan to Korea to China. Where to next? Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Thailand? All and others are possibilities but would they make sense? I think not, given the steep learning curve involved. Meanwhile I had thought about this model when it was announced but I have since changed my emphasis to 0 gauge. More expensive, yes, but also, as a kit builder, more predictable and British made to boot.

An interesting observation. We have seen production of Western locomotives progress/regress from Japan to Korea to China. Where to next? Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Thailand? All and others are possibilities but would they make sense? I think not, given the steep learning curve involved. Meanwhile I had thought about this model when it was announced but I have since changed my emphasis to 0 gauge. More expensive, yes, but also, as a kit builder, more predictable and British made to boot.

Certainly not Thailand.

It's far too expensive.

I know a chap who has a business there and he has every thing made for him in China.

A logical move would be to produce the mouldings in a cheap labour country and do the assembly and finishing in a place where the skills needed are available.

The volumes do not make this viable, unlike in some other fields.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

Prices will continue to go up unless and until the RTR manufacturers start to use and exploit different sources of supply either in Asia or elsewhere. Bachmann aren't going to do this, they are owned in China and appear to be vertically integrated with the factories. The other RTR manufacturers might though. Just might ...

Regards

Japanese producers used to be like that. Koreans too. But now they produce their cars in Burnaston, Sunderland, Hungary and elsewhere.

If it makes financial sense to produce elsewhere, then I suspect the Chinese shareholders will ultimately make the same choice.

• RMweb Gold

A logical move would be to produce the mouldings in a cheap labour country and do the assembly and finishing in a place where the skills needed are available.

Bernard

Quite. In manufacturing volume terms, all model railway goods, even the quantities produced for the much larger US market, are pretty small beer.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• 1 month later...

Certainly not Thailand.

It's far too expensive.

I know a chap who has a business there and he has every thing made for him in China.

Bernard

Products made in Thailand these days tend to be high skill / cost items, like computer hard drives, Toyota cars etc. Thais these days are better educated and skilled and want / demand / get better wages.

Went to Chiang-Mai up the north end of the country last year. The art and craft centre of Thailand. 20 odd years ago there was always affordable local made good quality art / craft items for sale. These days local made stuff is much more expensive - IF you can find it. Yes most of the "local art & craft" stuff in Thailand is now "Made in China". And I'm not talking of cheap tourist tat either, that's ALLWAYS been made in China.

SO - Who on the planet will make a highly detailed quality Stanier Mogul in 2016 for around £100 in the UK shops..

Answer - No-one.

Currently I look round for bargains - they are there - e.g. Hattons have Heljan DPU's for £52, was £119

Brit15

Just felt a sudden pain in the wallet pocket.

Is it not too early for a pain, that comes when we are down to 3 months to go normally.

I think "twinge" might be more appropriate at the 12 month stage......followed by an ache at 6 months.

Bob :jester:

• Like 1

Wearing my super-critical hat, what I can see is good, except that the vacuum ejector is the early, single cone type used in cunjunction with the vacuum pump lelow the LH lower slide bar. Both these fittings were replaced / removed in the late 1930s by a dual cone ejector of different shape, so the model could be correct for LMS 132XX numbers and 29XX numbers depending on period, but not for BR days. They also seem to have reproduced the cabside cinder glass, which not all class members had.

But yes, I like what I see.

• Like 1

I checked Bachmann's website today and its says the Stainer Mogul is due for a August/September release.

Yes..................Shouldn't have sold the kit!

Bachmann Branchline 31-692 Class 5P4F Stanier Mogul 2-6-0 42968 in BR lined black with late crest (as preserved). RRP withdrawn by Bachmann so price estimated - we will notify you if price rises & offer option to cancel £131.70

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us between August 2016 & September 2016

Yes Ron, still got my kit built examples, I had started building a new chassis for each when Bachmann announced the rtr version, and they've stayed the same since, wont get rid in case Bachmann either change their minds, or it turns out to be so bad ( I doubt it very much though :-) ). By the way, did you ever complete that Gem 'Duck-8' ??

Oh yes, like the new avatar, I should re-instate my old 'Old Thumper' one - but Ringwood have changed the label design now - oh well.

Edited by bike2steam

By the way, did you ever complete that Gem 'Duck-8' ??

It went the way of many things! However a  Bachmann one with a bellyfull of lead will help me capture this memory.

post-15321-0-20376500-1449496976_thumb.jpg

Edited by RonnieS
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Painted versions of the EPs are up on the Steam Locomotives section from the website.

An absolutely stunning model from the EP shots, which I will probably purchase an early BR and preserved variant on their release. However I'm not sure that they are going to fly off the shelves, as there seems to be a glut of workmanlike classes subject to the usual, inevitable discounting..... 

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• 3 months later...

Yes, I had an email notification from Hattons saying the same,

"Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us between December 2016 & January 2017"