Bachmann Stanier mogul

Sam*45110*SVR

I had an 8F on the 4mm Oswestry that used to fly through non-stop with Crosfield Chemicals tanks from Warrington.  So now I am looking for a suitable LMR loco in 7mm and that Stanier 2-6-0 looks just so fantastic.....It's too good for 4mm...!  (I had better wink fast).

• Like 2

42968 was a Springs Branch (Wigan) loco in her last days, saw her many times.

Oh for a time machine to ride on this trip behind her !! (courtesy of Six Bells Junction) http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/

13th August 1966

Wigan Area Railfans Society 
Wigan Area Brake Van Tour

Loco Used 42968

Route :

Loco Route 42968 Springs Branch - Wigan NW - Boars Head Jn - Adlington Jn - Horwich - Horwich Fork Jn - Dobbs Brow Jn - Hindley No. 3 - Westwood Park - Pemberton Winstanley Colliery Sidings - Pemberton - Wigan Wallgate - Hindley No. 2 - De Trafford Jn - Whelley - Standish Jn - Coppull Hall Sidings - Standish Jn - Whelley Jn - Amberswood West Jn - Platt Bridge Jn - Bamfurlong Sorting Sidings - Ince Moss Jn - Fir Tree House Jn - Platt Bridge Jn - Bickershaw Jn - Hindley South - Wigan Central Goods - Hindley South - Bickershaw Jn - Platt Bridge Jn - Springs Branch - Wigan North Western

You can trace most of her route here

post-6884-0-63761000-1449337111.jpg

Brit15

• Like 6

Now, and saying right at the start, that these models far exceed my wildest expectations, I offer a few comments for the truly pedantic.

42968: The AWS is for the engine in BR service, not as preserved. In preservation and with TPWS, the timing reservoir on the driver's side and the large tank on the fireman's side weren't needed and not fitted. The steam lance cock on the fireman's side of the smokebox was never fitted in preservation, but the front end steam heat bag was carried only in preservation. Full marks however for getting the position of the works plates right, high up and back. She was the only class member to have them there. I notice that they are in the correct and more usual position on 2965. I notice too that the model sports a 5A (Crewe North) shed plate; she was there from 03/05/58 to 10/06/61, but throughout her last preserved ticket in BR livery she carried an 8F (Springs Branch) plate, the shed from which she was withdrawn.

From memory of the Bachmann Horwich Crab, the tender coal rails need to be added by the purchaser, and should be. Note that in preservation, although 2968 had the rails, she did not have the guides for the fire irons, which Railtrack insisted be removed before she went on the main line.

The covers to the clack valves for these engines was of two types, rounded or flat sided. When the loco was first restored from Barry condition, new ones were made which were a totally different shape, and this has followed through on the models. A look at photos will show what I mean. Similarly, the pipes for the cylinder drain cocks are over-long on the preserved loco, and this has followed into the model.

Now with those minor details out of the way, I'd like to offer Bachmann 11 points out of 10 for this engine. I would not have expected the level of detail to include the drive linkage to the mechanical lubricators, but it does!

Edited by LMS2968
  • Like 1

42968 was a Springs Branch (Wigan) loco in her last days, saw her many times.

Oh for a time machine to ride on this trip behind her !! (courtesy of Six Bells Junction) http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/

Brit15

Strangely, she was third choice for this tour, which was always scheduled for a Stanier Crab. At the time it was planned there were only three left: 2954/63/68. 2963 was the chosen loco, but was withdrawn after the planning but prior to the tour. Then 2954 was the substitute but failed a few days before, leaving only one contender. At least, she got a thorough cleaning out of it!

• RMweb Premium

42968 used to be paired with a Stanier tender for better water/coal capacity, whilst doing it's mainline runs in the late 1990s.

I have unfortunate memories of it, as it ran over one of my cats in my view, as it passed my back door in mid-January 1997.........

If I ever backdate my modelling to then, 42968 will be paired with a Stanier tender and a little white cat will be sitting on the buffer beam.

Cheers,

Mick

I filmed it some years ago pulling out of a temporary speed restriction at Abergele & Pensarn station (with Stanier tender) and I have never seen so much smoke in all my creep up. It was volcanic.  Also got a good sequence of it tearing through Colwyn Bay at night with its high pitched whistle screaming as it approached the platforms. Last time I photographed one was in 1964 on frozen meat containers from Holyhead, a regular late afternoon working.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

Now, and saying right at the start, that these models far exceed my wildest expectations, I offer a few comments for the truly pedantic.

I notice too that the model sports a 5A (Crewe North) shed plate; she was there from 03/05/58 to 10/06/61, but throughout her last preserved ticket in BR livery she carried an 8F (Springs Branch) plate, the shed from which she was withdrawn.

Just add to 'LMS2968''s comments.

If the modeller wants to a model of this engine with a 5A shed plate I'd check first with photos to see if it had AWS fitted at this time. I'm by no means sure it did, but photos will prove it one way or the other. Not many of the LMS and BR mixed traffic engines had AWS fitted until the 1963-67 period and even then only if main works had a set in stock, usually taken from a withdrawn engine. 42968 certainly had AWS fitted by 1966, I have a Roger Carpenter photo of that date which shows it.

Regards

Edited by PenrithBeacon

Just add to 'LMS2968''s comments.

If the modeller wants to a model of this engine with a 5A shed plate I'd check first with photos to see if it had AWS fitted at this time. I'm by no means sure it did, but photos will prove it one way or the other. Not many of the LMS and BR mixed traffic engines had AWS fitted until the 1963-67 period and even then only if main works had a set in stock, usually taken from a withdrawn engine. 42968 certainly had AWS fitted by 1966, I have a Roger Carpenter photo of that date which shows it.

Regards

I have a pic of 42968, with AWS, taken in March 1961, I believe it was added during it's previous works visit for a light overhaul at the end of 1959, returned to traffic in Jan 1960. It's nice to see Bachmann got the location of it's worksplate in the right position. :sungum:

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

42968 used to be paired with a Stanier tender for better water/coal capacity, whilst doing it's mainline runs in the late 1990s.

I have unfortunate memories of it, as it ran over one of my cats in my view, as it passed my back door in mid-January 1997.........

If I ever backdate my modelling to then, 42968 will be paired with a Stanier tender and a little white cat will be sitting on the buffer beam.

Cheers,

Mick

My memory was it got 5110's tender whilst 29 was having a new tender top built that is wider than the original (I cant remember by how much (age) but I'm sure 2968 will) Personally I preferred it to work on with the Stanier tender, but that's a personal preference for Stanier rather than Fowler tenders.

Be still my beating heart...

There's a couple of moderately significant and widespread in service Stanier classes which would inevitably be seen alongside this class, the current RTR models of which simply cannot live with that I would suggest.

Almost makes me regret going 7mm. 

Make a distant view on your layout, and within it to aid the forced perspective is a particularly fine example of 4mm RTR?

Firstly, apologies to Newbryford for the loss of his cat. I like cats and have had one go missing and another run over by a car, so I know the feeling.

2968 did indeed run all her fourteen main line runs coupled to the Stanier 4000 gallon unit from 5110. Her own tender, widened by two inches per side to give a capacity of 3900 gallons, was reattached shortly after the last run and was with her when she did the Steam on the Met turns later in 1998.

The Engine History Card makes no mention of fitting AWS, which is not uncommon, but she had a Light Intermediate repair at Horwich 10/12/59 to 19/01/60. I agree with bike2steam that that is probably when it was done.

Edited by LMS2968

A short video taking a look at the Bachmann Roadshow Stand, during the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition.
As well as demonstrations and tutorials, on display was a large number of up and coming and prototypes, including the up and coming LNWR Webb Coal Tank and LMS Stanier Mogul. 
Filmed Saturday 26th November 2016, we take a closer look at these new models, plus more. 
Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hirUpp1DA-0

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I've just looked at the review in today's Modeller, and the photo of the opened up tender seems to show a stay alive fitted. Is this what it is, and as there appears to be only 2 wires bridging the loco and tender does that mean there's no pickups on the chassis?

Edited by daltonparva

The review in the Modeller says the front steps can only be fitted if the loco is only going to be used for display purposes but my Crab 2-6-0 which I think uses basically the same chassis, copes okay with second radius curves, it's going to look a bit odd without the front steps which are such a distinctive feature of this class.

I've just looked at the review in today's Modeller, and the photo of the opened up tender seems to show a stay alive fitted. Is this what it is, and as there appears to be only 2 wires bridging the loco and tender does that mean there's no pickups on the chassis?

All wheel  pickup  excluding  the  pony truck (apparently)

However  even  if  there  were no tender  pickups   it  would  require  4  wires between loco & tender anyway,   ( 2 pickups from loco wheels  to  decoder  & 2  back to motor)

So maybe  the 2  we  see in photo are  perhaps  each  a double  wire??

Additional  info

I have  just  checked  out a  couple  of  other  Bachmann  locos  and  it  would  appear  that  I am  correct  in  that  the  wires  are  double  and  do  appear  to be  just  2  individual  cables

Edited by Stevelewis

The wait is over! While overall it looks nice, the chunky front footsteps are a shame as times have moved on and more delicate, better looking ones would fit with level of detail of most contemporary models. Also the huge slotted screw head onto the connecting rod is a disappointment when things have otherwise moved on.

Anyway, a question. In the reviews BRM states the locos are fitted with coreless motors and HM reckons it has a five pole motor.  Bachmann's web site doesn't offer any clues. Some people say that coreless motors don't like H&M units others say that they have no problem or that control is limited. Does anyone know what type motor is fiited?

All wheel  pickup  excluding  the  pony truck (apparently)

However  even  if  there  were no tender  pickups   it  would  require  4  wires between loco & tender anyway,   ( 2 pickups from loco wheels  to  decoder  & 2  back to motor)

So maybe  the 2  we  see in photo are  perhaps  each  a double  wire??

Additional  info

I have  just  checked  out a  couple  of  other  Bachmann  locos  and  it  would  appear  that  I am  correct  in  that  the  wires  are  double  and  do  appear  to be  just  2  individual  cables

Thanks for that. Any idea about the thing that looks like a stayalive?

Looking at the head on photo of the model in HM it appears that the steam pipes are solid to the smokebox - no gap behind them. This is incorrect for the preserved 42968 - is it correct for any of the class?

Looks like 42968 is in final BR condition before it was withdrawn, not as rebuilt / preserved on the SVR.