Bachmann Stanier mogul

Sam*45110*SVR

I fear an error may have crept in there, AFAIK it's a traditional 5-pole.

Please excuse my ignorance. I always assumed that Bachmann used three-pole motors. I have noticed that poor runners from Bachmann have become rarer. Have we any idea of when five-pole motors began to be used?

Looking at the head on photo of the model in HM it appears that the steam pipes are solid to the smokebox - no gap behind them. This is incorrect for the preserved 42968 - is it correct for any of the class?

A glance at photos of real engines shows the 'air' gap behind the steam pipes is so small as to be not worth talking about in 4mm scale.

A glance at photos of real engines shows the 'air' gap behind the steam pipes is so small as to be not worth talking about in 4mm scale.

Despite being in shadow, this 1963 view may throw a little light on the subject.

post-508-0-30521600-1486743570.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I did glance at photos and I think it is obvious and will be more so when the loco is weathered but each to their own.

Yes Railway Modeller also questioning the Steam Pipes pointing out there should be a space. Also note to get it to run on anything less than third radius you can't fit the front steps . I also hadn't realised the tender was an existing Bachmann model. I suppose it was on the Crab

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was so looking forward to this release.

I'm a bit put off now by some of the criticisms identified so far, especially the steam pipes and large screw on the coupling rod, but I might live with these, it's the lack of rivet detail on the tender that puts me off most from purchasing one.

The picture I had seen a while back did show rivet lines on the tender of the LMS liveried example

http://www.hattons.co.uk/60880/Bachmann_Branchline_31_690_Class_5P4F_Stanier_Mogul_2_6_0_2965_in_LMS_lined_black/StockDetail.aspx

Without these it looks a bit flat?

What do others think?

At £135 I'm looking for perfection in Mogul form!

Cheers,

Keith

I was so looking forward to this release.

I'm a bit put off now by some of the criticisms identified so far, especially the steam pipes and large screw on the coupling rod, but I might live with these, it's the lack of rivet detail on the tender that puts me off most from purchasing one.

The picture I had seen a while back did show rivet lines on the tender of the LMS liveried example

http://www.hattons.co.uk/60880/Bachmann_Branchline_31_690_Class_5P4F_Stanier_Mogul_2_6_0_2965_in_LMS_lined_black/StockDetail.aspx

Without these it looks a bit flat?

What do others think?

At £135 I'm looking for perfection in Mogul form!

Cheers,

Keith

For the Crab Bachmann produced two tenders, one with visible rivets and the other not - prototype either welded or flush riveted. So no reason they couldn't supply a tender with visible rivets for this, on the assumptyion that the tender is otherwise the same.

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes Railway Modeller also questioning the Steam Pipes pointing out there should be a space. Also note to get it to run on anything less than third radius you can't fit the front steps . I also hadn't realised the tender was an existing Bachmann model. I suppose it was on the Crab

And on the Patriot and Jubilee.Seriously are the criticisms I read above going to deter a purchase of this model ? Answers not necessary.

Edited by Ian Hargrave

Guest Midland Mole

I have been waiting for this FAR too long to be put off by, in my opinion, minor issues. I think it looks great and I have been impressed by all the pictures I have seen of it so far.

Alex

Edit: Also, looking at the pictures Andy Y posted here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72039-Bachmann-stanier-mogul/page-6&do=findComment&comment=2516289 those look like plenty of rivets to me. :)

Edited by Midland Mole
  • Like 2

On the magazine reviews and Hatton's images, it looks like the LMS version has a flush rivetted tender as does the BR early crest one.  The late crest BR version is rivetted. The :LMS (and BR LMR) swapped tenders at almost every shopping, so to be sure of which is appropriate you need a dated photo.  Or to allow for choice, an absence of photos.  The latter is not too difficult for pre-war views.

I've seen the pictures, and it's an F-ing amazing piece of work in my opinion, and I say to anyone who is hung up on preposterously pedantic detail errors: clearly you don't want one of these. Otherwise,with your exacting standards ,you will go away and come back with pictures of the superior kitbuilt or scratchbuilt model you have managed to construct, so we can see how the results of your skills are such a vast advance on what Bachmann have presented us with. When this happens, will all laud your efforts and sing your praises. Until this happens, however, please do not comment further!

Edited by Dick Turpin

• RMweb Gold

I have been waiting for this FAR too long to be put off by, in my opinion, minor issues. I think it looks great and I have been impressed by all the pictures I have seen of it so far.

Alex

Edit: Also, looking at the pictures Andy Y posted here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72039-Bachmann-stanier-mogul/page-6&do=findComment&comment=2516289 those look like plenty of rivets to me. :)

Thanks, yes, that's exactly what I was expecting the tender to be like on the LMS version, as shown also in the BRM review, but not the Railway Modeller review,which made me curious.

From comments above it seems these locos also ran with flush-rivetted tenders, something I'd not spotted in photos of the locos in LMS days such as those in Essery and Jenkinson's book on the standard designs.

All the best,

Keith

• Like 1

Guest Midland Mole

Thanks, yes, that's exactly what I was expecting the tender to be like on the LMS version, as shown also in the BRM review, but not the Railway Modeller review,which made me curious.

From comments above it seems these locos also ran with flush-rivetted tenders, something I'd not spotted in photos of the locos in LMS days such as those in Essery and Jenkinson's book on the standard designs.

All the best,

Keith

It is strange that there seem to be conflicting images of the tenders. The only way to know for sure is when we see them in the flesh I suppose.

I'm still looking forward to it no matter which tender it comes with. :)

Alex

Edit: If I remember, I will take a photo of the tender when we get them in.

Edited by Midland Mole
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Alex, that would be great.

It's a fine looking model from the photos I've seen so far.

Looking at BRM the review does state that the 'level of rivet detail on the prototype... is well captured... particularly on the tender '.

Now,I'm no rivet counter (no disrespect to those who are) but I do like the look of a rivetted tender...!

All the best,

Keith

Edited by Keith Lilley

• RMweb Gold

The original Bachmann crabs didn't have DCC or plugged tenders, I suspect if this tender is being reused, that it comes from the more recent Patriot/Jubilee/4p 4-4-0 line.

However it may share the early Crab tender for ancestry, but it too may have history, from the Mainline fowler tender used on Mainline Jubilees 45700 Amethyst, 45698 Mars etc.. When I put 45700 Amethyst's tender next to a Bachmann DCC ready 4p's tender to me there's no difference in it apart from mounting positions for DCC, screws & drawbar hooks & buffers (tooling enhancements over the years ?) , I recently put a DCC fowler tender ex-4P behind an old nonDCC crab with no mods at all needed, and apart from a draw bar hook, I could put Ameythsts too and it'd look near identical...dimensions, shape even aspects like the brake handle on the footplate.

There are two different toolings of fowler tender... riveted and smooth (flush rivet or welded), both have been produced on Jubilees, Patriots, Crabs and the 4-4-0 by Bachmann and Mainline over the years.

Hornby has at least 3 fowler toolings, the ex-Airfix/Dapol tender used on the 2p / 4f (smooth) and its own railroad tender from the Patriot / 4p (riveted and smooth). They may have the Lima tooling too, but doubt we'd ever see it.

[Edit]: Two of All Bachmanns Stanier crabs are with rivet tenders that I saw at Warley, did the real thing only ever run with rivet tenders ?

{Addendum]: I seem to have forgotten to look at my own pictures...

post-20773-0-54007900-1480157800.jpg

it clearly is a smooth tender doh !

Edited by adb968008