Bachmann Stanier mogul

Sam*45110*SVR

• RMweb Gold

Today I got my grubby mitts on the Mogul, and as promised I took some pictures when I got it home. Really sorry about the poor picture quality, these were taken in the kitchen as the light was fading! :)

SM005.jpg

Seeing it close up and examining it in detail I must say, I am really impressed by the model. I think Bachmann have done an excellent job.

Alex

There's enough snap-heads on there to make even the most avid rivet counter bog-eyed

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Today I got my grubby mitts on the Mogul, and as promised I took some pictures when I got it home. Really sorry about the poor picture quality, these were taken in the kitchen as the light was fading! :)

Seeing it close up and examining it in detail I must say, I am really impressed by the model. I think Bachmann have done an excellent job.

Alex

Great pics.

Fantastic, very many thanks Alex, what a beauty, that's me sold.

All the best,

Keith

Guest Midland Mole

Nowt wrong with the pictures, excepting perhaps a colour temperature issue.

I had to lighten them once I put the on the PC, the light in the kitchen is terrible for photos. :D

Alex

Guest Midland Mole

Forgot to mention something else. I don't know if this has been done before but instead of the normal folded paper instructions, it comes with a glossy 7 page booklet. I have never seen this done before.

SM013.jpg

SM014.jpg

SM015.jpg

Anyway, I thought this was a nice touch and I hope Bachmann continues this in the future. :)

Alex

• Like 3

I posted this on Page 10 of the Bachmann page - Stanier Mogul:

Tenders: Stanier introduced snap-head rivets on joining the LMS in 1932, and applied these to the 'Fowler' tenders remaining in production for the Horwich Crabs, 4Fs, 5XP 'Jubilees' and his own 2-6-0s. These tenders had previously used counter-sunk rivets giving a smooth appearance, unlike the visible snap-head type. All snap-head riveted enders had coal rails, and many earlier counter-sunk tenders also received them, but not all. other differences are the beading around the top of  panel: on most this was horizontal on top or the panel, but there were some where it was vertical and on the panel side, following its edge. This is often difficult to see, even at 12"/ft scale.

All the Stanier Crabs had new, snap-head riveted tenders as built, and sixteen seem to have kept their original tender for life. The others exchanged tenders, sometimes several times, and could have any of the above combination of visible / non-visible rivets, coal rails or no coal rails, top or side beading.  2965 had its original tender 4534 for life; 2968 similarly had 4537 for life. 2969 had 4538 - 12/01/34, then from 26//5/56 4201, which was counter-sunk riveted with coal rails, then 4528, which had been built for 13259, from 22/4/61.

Forgot to mention something else. I don't know if this has been done before but instead of the normal folded paper instructions, it comes with a glossy 7 page booklet. I have never seen this done before.

SM013.jpg

SM014.jpg

SM015.jpg

Anyway, I thought this was a nice touch and I hope Bachmann continues this in the future. :)

Alex

Those look to represent a step change in the quality of Bachmann's instructions

Just looking at the instructions in the photo provided by Alex, it would appear a lot of the detail previously applied at the factory is now left for the purchaser to fit?

Chees from Oz,

Peter C.

PS LMS2968, my research shows that 42957 had a flush tender in the late 1950s, can you shed any more light on that please?

Guest Midland Mole

Just looking at the instructions in the photo provided by Alex, it would appear a lot of the detail previously applied at the factory is now left for the purchaser to fit?

Chees from Oz,

Peter C.

You are right, the detail pack is rather full! Also, there is a period specific detail that is not included in this one. The Screw-link coupling backing plate only comes with the late crest version according to the booklet.

Alex

Chees from Oz,

Peter C.

PS LMS2968, my research shows that 42957 had a flush tender in the late 1950s, can you shed any more light on that please?

According to the Engine History Card, this loco had tender 4526 for life, but photos clearly show that she had a counter-sunk riveted tender from some time after 1955 to the end.

You are right, the detail pack is rather full! Also, there is a period specific detail that is not included in this one. The Screw-link coupling backing plate only comes with the late crest version according to the booklet.

Alex

That looks as though you are talking about the plate that was only fitted when the loco had AWS. Not sure on this class where all the bits were fitted but there should be a cylinder and battery box for the same period.

Bernard

According to the Engine History Card, this loco had tender 4526 for life, but photos clearly show that she had a counter-sunk riveted tender from some time after 1955 to the end.

Indeed the Irwell Press book states that records started to fade after 1960, I have a couple of pics of 42957 at Chester, taken in 1962, which shows a flush rivet tender, I would suspect a tender change after it's last heavy overhaul in the summer of '61, unless you have a similar pic before that ?

• RMweb Gold

Delivery note just received here, only for the LMS variant, means they'll be in late tomorrow! BR versions still show as 'on order awaiting stock' on my backorder list so not here just yet it would seem, the LMS had been showing as 'reserved physical stock' for a week or so now until now.

Just a quick question in regards to livery, has any one seen or know where i can find a picture of a Stanier Mogul in plain black after the war but before nationalisation?

Cheers

That's difficult. At that time cleaning was almost non-existent, but more than that many films of the time were colour blind, i.e. could not distinguish between blacks and reds. So red lining on a black loco simply disappears.

Thanks for the photos, unfortunately cannot find an excuse for one in the KX inner sub area in the last six years of steam, but If I could there's two 'tinkerings' to attend to.

It looks to have the reinforcing plates for the front frame lifting holes present, just needs the holes drilling out.

I'd also want to experiment with very slightly lowering the cylinders, they look a mite high to me. If it's Bach's usual construction, this would be a doddle and fully reversible. (It probably is correct, but fiddle, fiddle, fiddle, until convinced.)

Indeed the Irwell Press book states that records started to fade after 1960, I have a couple of pics of 42957 at Chester, taken in 1962, which shows a flush rivet tender, I would suspect a tender change after it's last heavy overhaul in the summer of '61, unless you have a similar pic before that ?

That's probably correct. The last photo with a snap-head riveted tender is dated August 1959; the first with counter-sunk rivets is dated February 1962.

These early Stanier locos quite a bit of Fowler carry-over (Tender and whistle) and I wondered if they had the awful MR injectors. One of these engines came on shed at Lees (26F) one weekend, so I had a good crawl all over it. We saw few of them in the North West but they were well familiar on the North Wales line.

Guest Midland Mole

Yes kitchen lighting (or any indoor lighting) is difficult. Does your camera have the facility to change colour temperature? Try the Tungsten Light setting if it does.

I don't know to be honest, it is a fairly bog standard little digital camera. But I will have a play around with some of the settings at some point. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Alex