Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Ah well Land Rover back in it's box

Now I have started on a raf rescue boat 1944. After a struggle getting the hull to join, it is now getting underway quite well.

Just pausing to paint a few bits, that can not be reached when assembled

Edited by Kal
  • Like 1

Water features..................

The new village pond, the area at the back still needs terraforming, the farm will extend along that raised area

med_gallery_17883_3001_555167.jpgrmweb571terraforming99

A close up, the colour looks nice and murky, and the green fluff has been absorbed by the varnish despite being so gloomy

med_gallery_17883_3001_285970.jpgrmweb572terraforming100

I used a soupçon to make the odd puddle

med_gallery_17883_3001_217164.jpgrmweb573terraforming101

Some more turf added and a little dressing

med_gallery_17883_3001_87868.jpgrmweb577terraforing105

• Like 4

I was walking past while he was doing it, he already had the main boat shape and the stand cut, cleaned, and glued, and he says to me.....hmmmmm the guns will need painting before the windows go in..............

GUNS!!!?????

Don't panic....Don't Panic!!!! Mr Mannnering :jester: .further terraforming, albeit little final touches just here will take place. I am just  temporarily dressing the new area, not because it is ready to be dressed. But more importantly, in order to ensure that I am putting the contours and colour in the correct areas. It's best not to guess, and then put the final details down and find you can't fit them in!!!!!!!!!

I know it looks crowded with cars, but it shows me ......

1. The road is not wide enough for too wide vehicles

2. That I need to consider the petrol pump outside Scripps

3. That the cars in front of Aidensfield Arms needs to be increased as well. I will need to google maps, and have a look at this point and adjust. Luckily AidensField Arms has some room behind it so it can shuffle backwards.

med_gallery_17883_3001_206957.jpgrmweb574teraforming102

A view from the other direction. The road here seems fine, and I need to look at building a little pavement, and adding a surface water drain, I need to research the lampposts so that Aidensfield arms and Scripps garage are as close as possible. The tree on the right is one I made earlier...I did re-glue the base and match the foam turf to the area, to the left a few bushes were dropped where a second tree will be placed and they were glued and also sprinkled. The tree will go in one the glue is dry i.e. tomorrow.

med_gallery_17883_3001_182405.jpgrmweb575terraforming103

Checking out how the gravestones look for the Church. They probably won't be sunk in, once grass is added I think they will be about right. you'll notice some low shrubs have been placed near the join, so at this angle it is not really obvious. The white fence is a quick fix, which will be updated. White picket fences are much more American.These ones are 'spares' from the Hornby Thomas range platforms. The big house opposite can sit in its place, although it has not be sunk in, and though it does not float per say it would benefit from bedding in. You can see the building behind it, although the cobbles are not viewable at this angle and range.

med_gallery_17883_3001_131616.jpgrmweb576terraforming104

Somebody didn't clean up after cutting the grass.........

med_gallery_17883_3001_505586.jpgrmweb581terraforming106

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 10

the drive up to the farm. This is not how Greengrasses is set out in reality, but then this is not the correct buildings either.Though the pidgin loft I have added looks nice from here.

med_gallery_17883_3001_42689.jpgrmweb581terraforming109

Scripps parking, the space next to the Aidensfield Arms should in time have the extension that should have been with the model.

med_gallery_17883_3001_211651.jpgrmweb582terraforming110

Church entrance opposite the Big Houses outbuilding

med_gallery_17883_3001_458568.jpgrmweb583terraforming11

• Like 8

Do you pair ever SLEEP, its none stop Grass, (tell Jeff (Physicsman about the Grass), roads, drains, gravestones, Pub, Pub, Pub, MORE BLOOMIN GRASS, hehheheeeee its fun trying to keep up, back later, I need a rest now.

Bodgit :sungum:

This is galloping along at a great pace, you seem to have got loads done over the festive period. :)   Making me feel rather guilty that I can't seem to get any steam (no pun intended) under my new project ... the bits of which are sitting in the corner of the workroom balefully glaring at me :0)

Edited by Northern Maiden

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday, I decided I would start on some of the Airfix kits we purchased.  :locomotive:

I had not done one since I was about eight and so thought I would start with something simple. :read:

So I got all my tools together and opened up the Land Rover and trailer Hard top as a starter. :good:

Everything started well until I got to the 4th piece, Hmm Hardtop land rover, but the door on the sprue looks as if it off a MK1 air portable?? :scratchhead:

Check through every component, but no I have not made a mistake. :rtfm:

Check google for pictures to see , if there was ever some bizarre setup of a hard top with a half door, no joy. :nono:

Sent a letter to Hornby requesting said door and for now that is the end of that. :mail:

What a disappointment. :threaten:

Hey Kal,

Are you sure you don't have the door tops as a separate piece on the sprue?

On the prototype, All Land Rovers from the Series One to the early 90s / 110s had two piece doors - they only changed when wind-up windows were introduced in 1984, and military Land Rovers continued to keep the two piece doors until the late 90s. In warmer climates it was common to take off the door tops, even on Hardtop models.

Hi

Yep pretty sure. Landies, mk's, puma, and lynx were my daily commuter transport for far more years than I care to remember.

Hard top landies always, or at least in all the ones I have seen in my time, had a 1 piece two hinge rear door, especially FFR's, to stop the grunts running off with the shiney things.

post-11566-0-06546900-1389463015.jpg

If your det was unlucky enough to have a soft top, some one had to watch the kit when you went for scranpost-11566-0-66078200-1389463157.jpg

Edited by Kal

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Yep pretty sure. Landies, mk's, puma, and lynx were my daily commuter transport for far more years than I care to remember.

Hard top landies always, or at least in all the ones I have seen in my time, had a 1 piece two hinge rear door, especially FFR's, to stop the grunts running off with the shiney things.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

If your det was unlucky enough to have a soft top, some one had to watch the kit when you went for scranattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Ah, gotcha, you're talking about the back door, I was meaning the front ones.

Two of my hardtop Landies had a tailgate and lift up top door, though - maybe more of a civvy thing?

post-17302-0-86591400-1389465936_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-95901400-1389465937.jpg

Jaz,

Does it matter that the road outside Aiden's cannot take two wide vehicles?  I do not know what the actual road looks like but I do know lots of roads where this would be true.

Probably not, but I want to get the relationship as close as I can, I have the space, and I want to be able to take a picture...that looks similar to the real thing. It only has to be snapped from a single perspective. I am not bothering with the whole carpark or the nursery, so it it means they are behind me, so the road between Aidensfield Arms and Scripps will be full firing line.

• Like 1

We have trains!!! Well a loco.

med_gallery_17883_3001_56022.jpgrmweb584terraforming112

And just to show it's not a mirage...another one...

med_gallery_17883_3001_342316.jpgrmweb584terraforming13

.well the same loco  :jester:

And it's gone.......

med_gallery_17883_3001_612804.jpgrmweb585terraforming14

And a rear view.......of the house

med_gallery_17883_3001_46361.jpgrmweb586terraforming15

• Like 6