Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

I Know Jamie, where would we be if we had know rules, eh eh?

LMAO..... in the word of Al Murray.... FRANCE.... then we would all be f*****d

It would only be Germany, if they won the war... remember...!

Quality comment Kal.... I'm still smiling now...

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7

The last piece of the PIR to the right needs to somehow join into the rest of the scenery, and I considered my embankment steps on the cove...and which are really hard to get hold of (I had the sense to buy 2 wish it was 4) so I thought.......rugger.....I'm going to have to build some!!!!!!!

PIR is not the strongest of materials, and so I gave it some thought and came up with this, I have added a liitleblack paint to highlight it, and I use 50 / 50 water PVA to soak it once I had the initial design ...in the hope of strengthening it. This might seem strange, bit I have noticed when I try to push figures into the PIR after adding turf then grass that it's much harder.

med_gallery_17883_3001_249335.jpgrmweb591terraforming119

med_gallery_17883_3001_84986.jpgrmweb592terraforming120

med_gallery_17883_3001_382409.jpgrmweb593terraforming121

Hi Jaz

Firstly, my apogees for the amusing side step on British humour...was Kal's fault for making me laugh on his comment

Great work on those steps, I'm trying to work out, where its place is on your layout, as you said 'needs to somehow join into the rest of the scenery'

A Job well done... and sure the end result will be great as you have never failed yet to join any scenery on your fine layout.

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7
  • Like 1

7APT7...here you go

I started the road, and after terraforming thought.....well that was stupid.....look where the road goes....off the edge!!!!!! And if there was a slope for the road...why would you build the complicated steps....DOH!

So I curved the road. Hopefully fluffy green stuff will hide the mistake. The glaring gap in the middle is because when this dries I want to try out some buildings.....lets hope the road is far enough forward!!!!!!

med_gallery_17883_3001_504912.jpgrmweb594terrfaorming122

This is the area that needs updating I had considered doing the Birch Inn bridge here...BUT Sasquatch has done such a fine job with a very creditable double span bridge that I have no choice but to do it justice. So this is a normal bridge and along the river running under it I hope to make a creditable Mallyan Spout

med_gallery_17883_3001_67235.jpgrmweb599terraforming123

This is one of the happy results of paying attention to the detail in others work......lets hope I don't decide to try Cgrahams Hogwarts :swoon:  :swoon:  :swoon:

• Like 1

ha-ha Jaz....!

It all makes sense now, looking at the bigger picture, you have done a great job, you have nothing to worry about with your excellent skills, only you know the mistakes, we the viewers would never know... just like a magician never revels his tricks, so you just never say anything...  

I have very often pointed how good something looks, to then be told... well actually that bit was a mistake but came out looking better than expected it to be, so I just left it like it is....

Quality Jaz, I look forward to seeing the end result.

Keep up the excellent work.

Jamie

• Like 1

Ok it is still cold upstairs, no one turned on the heating  :angel: But I have two tree bases for this area, and some rubberised horse hair I coloured some time ago with the intention of making bushes....these bushes could go on the tree bases (coughs...branches)...and I would have trees. I also forgot to go investigate the Spirea japonica. (see Westerhamstations thread)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64587-westerham-station/page-15&do=findComment&comment=1298798 (In fact anyone needing to scratch build on a shoestring should investigate his whole thread!!!).

Trees....

I started with a branch, it has only 2 main 'branches', and thus might end up a little flat. but it has a nice trunk so I preservere

Horsehair previoously coloured wit ha wash and some PVA..no I don't remember why I used PVA :no:

med_gallery_17883_3001_472496.jpgrmweb597trees1

Rub the horsehair together to try and make it stick and push onto the branches, add one copydex, I use copydex initially rather than go straight to the hair spray because I think it is more 'hardy'

I have forgone the pushing the copper in the branches, all depending on how this turns out I might want to revise that decision...... :butcher:

med_gallery_17883_3001_52318.jpgrmweb598trees2

I add the fine foam turf, 3colours (rule of three always apply when I colour) and I just colour the outside. Often if you look into a tree the branches inside are not green, this is not always the case, but shrubs especially the elderberry tend to have a centre of branches that are disregarded by the tee as it grows bigger - I like this idea as I don't need to waste colour on the inside of horsehair.

med_gallery_17883_3001_373127.jpgrmweb599trees3

A view from the side, you can see at the moment it looks a bit flat, but as I am resting it on the table I only need to concentrate on one side.

med_gallery_17883_3001_199232.jpgrmweb600trees4

Kebab has arrived I will come back later  :sungum:

• Like 2

Plenty of chilli sauce I hope!! I'm following this tree making with interest as I could do with a few more on KoLW. Looking forward to seeing how this develops. Dont hurry though otherwise you'll get indigestion!!

Also those steps carved out of the KIngspan look superb. Does the PVA harden it sufficiently to stop it getting damaged as I may have a place for that technique as well.

Good work all round.

Regards

Marcus

Goodness me  .......  yes of course  ...........................

Does the PVA harden it sufficiently to stop it getting damaged as I may have a place for that technique as well.

Brilliant  .................................  could be the saviour of old age   ..................................................................................................    :yahoo:

Goodness me  .......  yes of course  ...........................

Brilliant  .................................  could be the saviour of old age   ..................................................................................................    :yahoo:

Cheaper than that pill that begins with "V" and available at all good DIY stores  :sarcastic:

Edited by Marcus 37

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

Is there anything else you could use apart from hairspray?  Hairspray is a banned substance in our house as the smell makes me fel sick.  (My wife still has long hair so hairspray is not needed anyway.)

• Like 1

ChirsN

You can buy cheap hairspray wITHOUT perfume. But you could load some PVA/water in a old kitchen sprayer...I suspect it will be a one off...before you have to bin it.....but if it was destined for the bin anyway......

Edited by Jaz

Plenty of chilli sauce I hope!! I'm following this tree making with interest as I could do with a few more on KoLW. Looking forward to seeing how this develops. Dont hurry though otherwise you'll get indigestion!!

Also those steps carved out of the KIngspan look superb. Does the PVA harden it sufficiently to stop it getting damaged as I may have a place for that technique as well.

Good work all round.

Regards

Marcus

Ask me after I try making the rails....if everything goes very quiet I suspect not :scared:

I hope I answered ever ones questions.

Back to trees

From this angle it looks a little flat!!!

med_gallery_17883_3001_162421.jpgrmweb601trees5

I wanted to trial these, the pale green looks a bit fluorescent!!!! Good for spring perhaps in small quantities, maybe. Still as I suspect they are the least likely to work I'll try them first

med_gallery_17883_3001_110870.jpgrmweb602tree6

Light green leaves

med_gallery_17883_3001_296342.jpgrmweb603trees7

This was after the hairspray

This was before the hairspray.....dayglo!!

med_gallery_17883_3001_274810.jpgrmweb604trees8

Same area after hairspray....may want to check this out in 24 hours

If they go back to dayglo on the darker green foliage I might need to do some repair work, I have not used the darker leaves on this tree

med_gallery_17883_3001_146867.jpgrweb605trees9

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

mixed reception in the house, everyone else said good....I'm not convinced. It might be ok placed amongst some other trees

med_gallery_17883_3001_149659.jpgrmweb606trees10

One thing I can agree on tho, when taking pictures at 4mm perspective, the branch...I mean trunk.....looks realistic....well it would. wood.....wouldn't woodn't it :jester:

med_gallery_17883_3001_294300.jpgrmweb607trees11

EDIT= oops had the same picture twice.

N.B. It was a bit flat originally...I stuffed some more up the middle..a bit like stuffing a chicken with paxo! :blum:  :butcher:

The other branch has a lot more....um branchlets....I'll give that a whirl soon and see if it looks less like green candyfloss. :training:

I obviously hope to improve....I may test the other branch with the artificial stuff - like horsehair is natural....on a tree!!!!!

Edited by Jaz

• RMweb Premium

Q: Is that rubberized horse hair? If so where did you get it please??

My dogs destroyed their Cong bed, very expensive and supposedly indestructible. While collecting up the stuffing from the back deck I realized what great scenic material it makes! What with that and the bamboo berry sprigs all I need to do now is throw some sugarpine needles in the blender and spray it all with watered down crafters acrylics.

• RMweb Premium

AV is looking great, this thread is very informative and rather entertaining.

These scenic techniques are ground breaking.(Edit;; no pun intended)

Kal. How's that RAF rescue launch coming along. I have a thing for OO scale boats, there's a Revell corvette knocking about here somewhere and an LCT6 built from the Armagedon kit. 

Edited by Sasquatch

Kal got this far yesterday, today he was sorting out insulation (with PIR) in the old loft) No not scenery.......heating the home!!!!!

Plus he sorted out the point motors on the back of Heartbeat  :sungum:

med_gallery_17883_3001_329408.jpg

Edited by Jaz

Thanks D.T.

It's no wonder nothing came up when I googled it as I used the American spelling!!!

What a doughnut....... :banghead:

This is what comes of moving to a foreign country, and having to learn a new language (See Al Murray post 1954!!!)  :rofl: