Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Hi Kal/Jazz

Great picture, always love watching your never ending  progress, as you both put lots of effort into it, which is great to see and the detailing gets ever better each time I view the progress.

Jamie

Thank you all,

We had some really nice comments today, and a bunch of likes and crafty cleavers, even from people who normally don't leave any footprints...

Since we posted our thread here in May, we have met with nothing but positive feedback and friendliness. The sheer Encyclopaedic amount of brilliant reference matter here, has enabled us to find and use loads of brilliant ideas, and this has allowed us to up our own game.

Any improvement we have made is as much about the input of our readers, as it has been down to us. When people have commented we have often checked to see if they have links, and we have found some simply inspirational work on here. Even the smallest of threads  / layouts can have really good ideas. And we have barely scratched the surface!!!!!! 

• Like 2

A potential spot for the police house

med_gallery_17883_3001_204204.jpgrmweb587terraforming16

Somebodies been a naughty boy....hanging their head

med_gallery_17883_3001_509365.jpgrmweb588terraforming17

And finally an overall view of how we are getting on.

med_gallery_17883_3001_609307.jpgrmweb589terraforming118

Once we have this whole area sorted, there might be room for a loop so it might be possible to add some faller road. Not that we have bought any yet, just contemplated it.

• Like 4

Aha, one of my units had Landrovers, mainly soft-tops but a fair number of hard tops as well, the latter largely issued to the techs as they could be used for secure storage and also as a relatively clean and dry workspace.

The hard top FFR was a bit of a death trap as the back door was a big side-hinged job.  With a trailer on the door wouldn't swing open, and of course the angle irons which went crosswise between the cab and the rear holding the radio fit meant one couldn't climb from the back to the front.  Hence no riding in the back when pulling a trailer!

Oh, and strangely enough I have also today started on the hard-top LR 110 as practice before building the Tamiya Chieftain with various bits to bring it up to the spec I commanded:

5%2520INNIS%2520DG%2520SLTA.jpg

The bit Kal is missing is on the transparency sprue:

IMG_2448.JPG

This is going to be a right pig to mask & paint, although it might make the lights easier!  I may just paint out the windows like we sometimes did.

I was going to try to be clever & scratch-build a couple of antenna mounts, but these are included.  I was also going to try & make the wooden duck boards in the trailer, but the canvas seems to be moulded to the sides as well so it will need a bit of surgery to achieve...

• Like 3

Would that be     ...........................................................         :O  

Somebody's been a naughty boy....hanging their head

because he   .......................................................   dropped his end of that Coffin  .......................... :O  :O

G&WR, ....................   

Chieftain with various bits to bring it up to the spec I commanded:

I assume that will include the small but perfectly formed Cocktail Bar, that no respectable Dragoon Officer would be without at the end of yet another tiresome day, having to add a "Touch of Class to what might otherwise be an unseemly rabble" amid the other reprobates the MoD continue to employ  .....      :angel:

I assume that will include the small but perfectly formed Cocktail Bar, that no respectable Dragoon Officer would be without at the end of yet another tiresome day, having to add a "Touch of Class to what might otherwise be an unseemly rabble" amid the other reprobates the MoD continue to employ  .....      :angel:

If you only knew the half of it ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As we have been talking Her Majesty's Armed Forces, (God Bless 'em), I will repeat here what I have posted in other places as they may be of interest.

Quality figures, what this web site says, what squaddies do best, and some on leave, and finally a litle bit of class, an hofficer reading a book.

These companies make class figures, although not particularly useful unless you have a limited time period.  The hofficer and the squaddies will be sitting in my late Victorian coaches as I like them.  Also in MMS I may take the Policemen and cut off their gas mask packs and they will do for 19th Century bobbies.

Elheim have changed their web site and at present do not have any pictures as they have a series of officers, one of which is looking at his watch, either as someone suggested, waiting for his suitcase to blow up or checking the time of the train.

Hi Kal / Jaz

Just stumbled accross this layout thread. This looks to be an amazing project. The scenic work is spectacular and the attention to detail is superb. I will definitely keep up to date with progress and look forward to seeing it develop further. 

• RMweb Gold

ChrisN

The amount of facial detail in such small models is brilliant.

Jaz,

You can see why I had to get the squaddies and the officer.

Have you seen these Edwardian Figures?  I may have posted on here before but I cannot remember.  They are not your era but are again brilliant.  Mind you, you have so many themes and dioramas you could use them as a reenactment at one of your stations.  They are £10.00 for ten so not as expensive as Monty's.  (I have lots of Monty's as well as the women get backdated and the men are nearly the same as long as they are not wearing a trilby.)

ChrisN

I have seen the Edwardian ones before, someone on here has done a wonderful paint job on them. They are sort of Downton Abbey, as we have two broughams I could attempt a little re-enactment at a station as you say.  :sungum:

I have been braving a cold loft...too lazy to turn the heating on......went up barefooted and my feet are absolutely freezing...Kal nagged me twice....am now downstairs defrosting!!!!!! There is a another mess needs tidying.....

I have a couple of pictures of what I have been doing. .They should be along soon......

• RMweb Gold

ChrisN

I have seen the Edwardian ones before, someone on here has done a wonderful paint job on them. They are sort of Downton Abbey, as we have two broughams I could attempt a little re-enactment at a station as you say.  :sungum:

Jaz,

Yes it was Jim, (Aberdare) on the 4mm Edwardian Figures thread.  I am still plucking up the courage to do them and trying to decide on the best primer, white or grey?  White for the ladies and grey for the posh men, and maybe the lower class ladies.  I have some black Warhammer primer in the shed somewhere which I will use for the working class men, but not before I have painted some others like that.

Andrew Stadden is going to do the same figures in H0!  The pictures on his Facebook page look better than the 00 ones.

Edited by ChrisN

Jaz,

White for the ladies and grey for the posh men, and maybe the lower class ladies.  

Noooooooooooooo!    :banghead:

IT IS...  A Pint for the fellas and a white wine or fruit based drink for the ladies!!!  RULES is RULES!   :rtfm:

Edited by Kal

The last piece of the PIR to the right needs to somehow join into the rest of the scenery, and I considered my embankment steps on the cove...and which are really hard to get hold of (I had the sense to buy 2 wish it was 4) so I thought.......rugger.....I'm going to have to build some!!!!!!!

PIR is not the strongest of materials, and so I gave it some thought and came up with this, I have added a liitleblack paint to highlight it, and I use 50 / 50 water PVA to soak it once I had the initial design ...in the hope of strengthening it. This might seem strange, bit I have noticed when I try to push figures into the PIR after adding turf then grass that it's much harder.

med_gallery_17883_3001_249335.jpgrmweb591terraforming119

med_gallery_17883_3001_84986.jpgrmweb592terraforming120

med_gallery_17883_3001_382409.jpgrmweb593terraforming121

• Like 1

Hi Kal

Al Murray would agree totally mate...  a glass of wine or a fruit based drink for the ladies....!!!!

just don't mention the GGGgggggeeeerrrrrmans (Germans) ha-ha :triniti:

Jamie :no:

PS is one of you P*****d :protest:

Noooooooooooooo!    :banghead:

IT IS...  A Pint for the fellas and a white wine or fruit based drink for the ladies!!!  RULES is RULES!   :rtfm:

Hi Kal

Al Murray would agree totally mate...  a glass of wine or a fruit based drink for the ladies....!!!!

Hi Kal

I Know Jamie, where would we be if we had no rules, eh eh?

Edited by Kal