Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

THE NEW

Then there is the weir....which is a subject all of it's own! I just don't have time to do this justice at the moment, but here is a flavour.. and some notes

med_gallery_17883_2878_1006484.jpgrmweb109weir2

The first touches of the wait water, This stuff tends to be white then dry to opaque.

I often use PVA first to try and provide a surface that stops it leaking into the scenic base

You can paint between colours, but should be careful, I like glass paints for this.

Toy can also add scenic items into the the build up of layers allow some depth, green fluff, small bits of wood floating...all are good

I tend to work from both ends towards the middle trying to double the speed of 'growth'

At the bottom you can see where the varnish ends, varnish is a popular medium and gives that lovely honey colour, which comes out so well in photographs

med_gallery_17883_3001_188567.jpgrmweb45

7weir3

med_gallery_17883_3001_490104.jpgrmweb459weir5

med_gallery_17883_3001_177431.jpgrmweb462weir7

Once you can join in the middle this becomes much easier to get a decent shape...so far I have just used the back end of a paint brush, rather than squeeze it from the nozzle...this gives better results but my small hands struggle squeezing the stuff out. The aim isto build up the splash back and the water rolling over the edge.

med_gallery_17883_3001_387040.jpgrmweb463weir8

You have to keep an eye from on this from all the directions you want to photograph....because mistakes are very hard to remove...unless you use scissors or a blade!!!!! :butcher: 

med_gallery_17883_3001_705209.jpgrmweb464weir9

Cheeky photography can get good results without a finished product, especially if you utilise the light

med_gallery_17883_2878_26395.jpgrmweb244weir2

• Like 1

Talking of which I finally picked up some Humbrol Satin and Matt.

And when I picked up some of the figures it occurred to me they are not really right. 

The sheep.

When you think sheep you think white...or maybe black. But a new baby lamb or a freshly sheered sheep might be white ...however in general white sheep are actually pale beige with shadows under the bodies and between the legs, you don't want to over do the shadows (Shadows are shadows NEVER flat colour always washes, lots of washes perhaps but NOT flat colour IMO) if you have access to natural light... but I have just repainted 5 of them , left one pure white...and will post pictures as soon as I can get the paint dry...run upstairs...set the scene...photograph..run dow...upload to pc...upload to RM....and post....phewwwww......

The last white one in front, the others ar now Tamiya XF-78 or wooden deck tan..which is possible why they are a little wooden  :jester:

med_gallery_17883_3001_206745.jpgrmweb628shhep1

a little bit of distance

med_gallery_17883_3001_718683.jpgrmweb629sheep2

and a bird's-eye view

med_gallery_17883_3001_823319.jpgrmweb630sheep3

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

Similarly

The Chickens 

I keep forgetting to paint the chickens feet and the silver metal looks awful, they are now coloured and will soon have a Citadel Casandra Yellow shade on them.

Once I took the pictures I found I think they can still be improved...I'll come back to them some time...

taken at a distance, the models have a pleasing outline

med_gallery_17883_3001_563056.jpgrmweb631chickens1

closer up...rally the colour is still not as good as I think I can get...but the feet are now coloured...so the metal is not annoying me

med_gallery_17883_3001_465586.jpgrmweb632chickens2

I would like to say a chickens view....but I would have had more luck if I was modelling pigs!

Still considering the time of day the shadows could be a lot worse.

med_gallery_17883_3001_481570.jpgrmweb633chikens

These are ones I referred to today....te problem with not continuously checking reference you end up with Chinese whispers in your mind...as the detail fades.

chickens1.jpg

Please ignore the fact these devils have WHITE feet...my chickens have red feet!!! Maybe the white metal was ok...........

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

I have more work...but I have to go out.....I'll post more Heartbeat stuff later. Especially if the glue at the back dries so I can add the buildings. And I am satin finishing the donkeysI think they still look shiny, I'll probably try matt one....keeping them in order so I remember which is which might be fun. 

Am using citadel shades on figures to try and make them look more realistic. And the red lipstick smudge will go from the stable lad...it always makes his face look funny. Must run catch up later(s)......

Don't look back in anger.(title heading of the moment)......Kal says am I now happy we ripped up Goathland....ah well......it is an improvement.......what can I say........we do seem to be on a roll......WATCH OUT BELOW!!!!!! :jester:

Ooooh I was think of the Lunester Lounge, we should have a Punch and Judy reference (C&WR reference here, and I have one tucked up in a corner ----sssshhhh) 'That's the way to do it!!'  :rofl:

• Like 1

Oooohh, eerrr  ......................

.......what can I say........we do seem to be on a roll......WATCH OUT BELOW!!!!!!

I thought you said you were going out  .............    :jester:

Re the Sheep - about 15 yrs ago I was in the habit of taking kids to the Brecons for Outdoor activities.  I arrived and we were taking the kids to an activity, when I noticed the Sheep WERE actually white.

It was quite odd, almost disturbing, once noticed.

I mentioned it to the resident Instructor and he did a "WOW", as it had rained continuously for 6-8 mths and the change had been quite slow, as they gradually washed to clean white wool - he hadn't noticed as it was so gradual.

Getting back to the Centre, it was mentioned to the other Instructors, who then came back in the next day with more wows, because they looked so out of place.

PS - didn't take long to dirty up again once the rain eventually dried out a bit....

• Like 1

Hi

She is out won't be back till this evening, it is just me here :)

When that happens for me I generally intend (a) a nap or (b ) to get out a crime/action DVD which would be deemed unsuitable for The Small Controller & unpalatable for herself or (c ) open a couple of tinnies or (d) catch up on the huge pile of newspapers or a combination of all of these.

What generally happens is I (a) do laundry (b ) empty rubbish, recycling and food bins into large containers outside (c ) hang up laundry (d) scrub assorted Rugby boots & shine shoes (e) fold laundry (f) get supper on (i) iron clothes (j) put washing away (k) serve supper (l) clear away and (m) then commiserate about how having a coffee with other mummies while the birthday party/playdate happened must have been jolly hard work & TLHC should take the weight off her feet ;)

Honestly, having moved to 15 minutes rather than an hour from work I thought I would get more, not less, modelling time!

Edited by C&WR

When that happens for me I generally intend (a) a nap or (b ) to get out a crime/action DVD which would be deemed unsuitable for The Small Controller & unpalatable for herself or (c ) open a couple of tinnies or (d) catch up on the huge pile of newspapers or a combination of all of these.

What generally happens is I (a) do laundry (b ) empty rubbish, recycling and food bins into large containers outside (c ) hang up laundry (d) scrub assorted Rugby boots & shine shoes (e) fold laundry (f) get supper on (i) iron clothes (j) put washing away (k) serve supper (l) clear away and (m) then commiserate about how having a coffee with other mummies while the birthday party/playdate happened must have been jolly hard work & TLHC should take the weight off her feet ;)

Honestly, having moved to 15 minutes rather than an hour from work I thought I would get more, not less, modelling time!

Are you sure you're not me?

Yay! or rather boo… I had a week's worth of clothes folding to do before even thinking of anything railway related last night - you don't have piles of laundry to fold do you?

I am sure I could find some if thats what floats your boat :clapping_mini:

I never noticed... :no: ........perhaps we were out most of that weekend............ :scratchhead:

Yep we kept you out of the danger areas, but if you had opened one of those doors..... :banghead: :tomato: :bomb_mini:  :O  :agree: :scared:  :fie:  :angel:

Walls come tumbling down!!!

I had heard rumours that Cornwall is like that as well   .............................

Really like the water scene's and sheep.
Lovely stuff.

:O   ............................................     :jester:

Edited by jcredfer

Really like the water scene's and sheep.

Lovely stuff.

Jack

Hi Jack and Welcome to AV

Just started to look at your thread and noticed, what I think was an Albino GreenTree Python? Nice Herpetology is also an interest of ours, we had a few vivs when we were younger.

On top of that great element in your thread, the layout looks really good too. So many great layouts on here, it is good when people can stop by, as it gives an avenue to explore new and unfound parts of RM.

If the Chickens have some day olds, I know where to send them  :sungum:

Edit   thinking about it an Emerald Tree BOA is more likely in the Uk these days? 

Edited by Kal

I had heard rumours that Cornwall is like that as well?   .............................

:O   ............................................     :jester:

J......  (or should that be Zee)   your gonna have to be locked back in the sea chest again !!!    :devil:

Edited by Kal

Kal thanks for stopping by St.Agnes too! As you say its nice to pop into other's topics and see whats occuring.

-its an albino royal python she's grown a bit since that picture. To be honest its my other half's hobby but some of the colour variants are stunning.

Haha yep! The day olds would be tiny wouldn't they.

Cheers

Jack

• Like 1

Of course you are right, Kal   ................................    

Hi Jack and another warm welcome from me too  ...............................      :senile:

Agree with Kal about your layout as well, very nice and quick progress  .........

I really like St Agnes and the cliffs there, which are good for flying model aircraft, as I'm sure you will be aware    .....    the Sea below adds just a touch of spice to flying a glider there     .............................   :stinker:

• Like 1