Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

The old stuff ripped and gone, at the front, anything behind the tunnel remains for the moment

med_gallery_17883_3051_151367.jpgrmweb308reprise3

Dayglo green....card board tunnels.......and buildings stuck in two rows with tracks down the middle. The tracks in front (to Goathland) have gone, the ones at the back, have been supplemented by two more pulling off towards Goathland instead, and the layout is now one easier large piece to get cross angles of diorama set around them. 

med_gallery_17883_3051_611034.jpg

the pale green bog brush trees got a trim to improve the shape and got coloured green, ;ager they get a sprinkling and the improvement is massive, the white effect you see is bare plastic!

These rocks were formed laying plater cast over foam taken from old TV boxes or similar.The 'caves' are the shapes where speakers or such were protected by the padding.

rmwebrmweb612oldvnew5

I'm off to play with the new stuff...............

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

Thank you both!  I gave the kit a base coat of Humbrol silver, salt masked it, then gave it a spray with a rattle can of Tamiya NATO Green.  When dry I chipped it.

Kal is also correct about the radio - it is to represent a VRC 353.  If you don't mind my hijacking your thread with non-railway matters here's waht it looked like last night when I knocked modelling on the head:

IMG_2451.JPG

The white blobs on the front of the boxes are to represent the tuning dial (large one, bottom left) and the power/gain/test etc dials on the top right.  The big bits of white styrene are to represent the tremendously comfortable seat pads and were painted black last night for fitting when I get home...

Edit to add:

The lateral bars of styrene inside the hard top on my first pic are to represent the angle irons that various bits of Clansman gubbins hung off.  I'll be making some random box-shaped bits to act as TURF, SURF, IBRU etc.

FFR love em

Good job.

• Like 2

Hi jack away if your gonna put such interesting things here. That is sooooo cool. Could we have close up on the radios when you can

Are you gonna make it into a rebro?

FFR love em

Good job.

Thanks, both.  Here's where I left it this evening.  Must watch last night's Sherlock before I get any more spoilers:

IMG_2456.JPG

The fit is (L-R) 2 x VRC 353 & 1 x VRC 321.  On top of the left-hand 353 is a DMU/BID 250 and on top of the 321 a SURF and a TURF.  I have tried to do some of the dials with slices of 1mm rod, but the sharp-eyed will notice that TURF & SURF are short by one apiece!  The IBRU isn't a particularly interesting box & I'll probably stick one of them along with a speaker on the cross members on the hard top.

The map on the map board is a scan of one from Soltau-Luneberg Training Area.  I was quite pleased to find a bit of envelope the right colour for the Rad Op's log book.

The white chunks on the sides are to represent the hooks on the sides of the Rover that we used to tie ropes to to secure cam nets to the roof before it was deemed dangerous to do so.  I already know how I'm going to do the net & poles, but that's going to be a couple of days down the road yet!

The kit comes with two antenna brackets for the sides of the Rover.  I'm going to add the TUAAM boxes to the front wings from appropriate-sized Evergreen with sections of rod filed down on all four mounts to make the antenna bases.

I must be stark-raving mad...

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, both.  Here's where I left it this evening.  Must watch last night's Sherlock before I get any more spoilers:

IMG_2456.JPG

Nice job. Love the radio fit out and map desk.

If you'll take a criticism, I think your tie downs are too chunky, are they 20thou? you might be better with tiny slices of paper.

What on earth is the phallic item on the back? it looks nothing like any tow-ball or NATO hitch I've ever seen :)

Out of curiosity, is there a proper crossmember for the back, in the kit? What's there now doesn't look right - not that that's anything to do with you, I hasten to add.

I must be stark-raving mad...

Yes... yes, I think you are...

:D

Al.

• Like 1

Nice job. Love the radio fit out and map desk.

If you'll take a criticism, I think your tie downs are too chunky, are they 20thou? you might be better with tiny slices of paper.

What on earth is the phallic item on the back? it looks nothing like any tow-ball or NATO hitch I've ever seen :)

Out of curiosity, is there a proper crossmember for the back, in the kit? What's there now doesn't look right - not that that's anything to do with you, I hasten to add.

Yes... yes, I think you are...

:D

Al.

Thanks, Al.  I agree the tie downs are way overscale, but I may do a little filing down & I hope they won't be so obvious when painted and with ropes holding the cam bundle on the roof!  They caused enough hearache getting them in place, so I'm not inclined to move them now...

The enormous phallic object is indeed the tow hook.  I suspect the intention with these kits is to allow the trailer to be hitched and unhtched, possibly while it's played with.  I have seen one of these built & the trailer has all the legs in the down position even though it was hooked up!  I intend to scratchbuild something to make this look better.

Not sure I get what you mean about the crossmember, not being a technical type.  The back of the Rover will glue on covering the rather thick floor and seat parts, hiding them, and there is a proper chassis to be fixed underneath, bit that's a way down the line.

Perhaps I should move this to my thread rather than clogging up Jaz & Kals!

Nice one,

Mad? No an ATR and a T 100 would be mad. ;)

I had to Google those!  Presume the T-100 is the teleprinter?

I'm guessing from some of your previous posts you spent time with TCW?  We had a Det of them in Banja Luka (aka Banja Napa) when I was there but I had very few dealings.

• Like 1

C&WR

It's all good stuff we don't mind at all, but as it's your work I hope you are recording there also.It is very useful for us because we have to go through the RAF layout and update it, especially after dt showed the lovely link.It was made originally as a joke, and was therefore more about showing off the flying diorama than making a real layout, but I will be putting PIR on Port Lynn, which is why all work has stopped there. This will help us to address the aerodrome element and have a play. And all these lovely small details, will then need to be .....cough.....'copied'  :sungum: Loving the work you are both doing :good: This just make it easier to read  :read: . We know where you are.....though . :sungum:

Yep Siemens T100 teleprinter, later replaced by the not quite so problematic Trend teleprinter. The ATR is an Adaptor Telegraph Radio.

They are what the Handbags (DTG) used, in the field often at airheads with the Support Helicopter Force.  The SHF was a shock I think to some Handbags as they were not used to the field spending most of their lives in their tunnels  :telephone: Although  mostly it was the Posh handbags (RTG) that used to bash the springs on exercise.

Edited by Kal

Old versus New

THE OLD

rmweb615oldvnew8

med_gallery_17883_3001_463106.jpgrmweb616oldvnew9

med_gallery_17883_3001_519713.jpgrmweb617oldvnew10

This was where a small attempt at a caravan / camping park was laid out.....hopefully we can get this done properly eventually

med_gallery_17883_3001_545882.jpgrmweb618oldvnew11

And my personnel favourite subject the Waterfall near the watermill.

med_gallery_17883_3001_262651.jpgrmweb619oldvnew12

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

:O .................Another Wargaming site....................... :nono:

My defence, DT, is that it is a detailed model, in scale for my railway, would fit nicely in the field by my stream (although no one in their right mind would site a Det there), and Jaz and Kal don't seem to mind, indeed asked me to provide details!  I find it somewhat refreshing that some digression is allowed on here rather than as seen on other sites when slapped wrists ensue even on one's own threads if one dares to discuss something not related to the main site's aim!  

I am not referring to the obvious, here.  It happens on other sites I use.

Yep Siemens T100 teleprinter, later replaced by the not quite so problematic Trend teleprinter. The ATR is an Adaptor Telegraph Radio.

They are what the Handbags (DTG) used, in the field often at airheads with the Support Helicopter Force.  The SHF was a shock I think to some Handbags as they were not used to the field spending most of their lives in their tunnels  :telephone: Although  mostly it was the Posh handbags (RTG) that used to bash the springs on exercise.

OK, we are now seriously OT, but the T100 would have been before my time.  I had Trend & Cossor among the kit I had to sign for, having worked on Ptarmigan and the dreaded NCRS, but as I say my forte was largely VHF/HF used to engineer in the links & keep things running when the main comms didn't work.  That was about as gnarly as I got in the R Signals (V), working out of a LR & 9x9!

There would be a challenge, scratchbuilding an NCRS array.  It would need space, though, a lot of space and bearign in mind its power output a lot of scale safety fence and flashing beacons ;)

Edited by C&WR

Hi everyone

There is no off Topic on this thread. As our modelling era is tomorrow and is based around a Film production and Heritage lines, anything could be on topic.

If it is interesting and people including us like it, it will get replies, if they don't ... it will sort itself out and fade out....or be resurrected later when it becomes a topic of discussion.

We have one rule here....   If you do not like the content.....  change channel..   :locomotive:

• Like 3

THE NEW

This is of course under construction

med_gallery_17883_3001_493669.jpgrmweb456water4

But I am plead with the results and present.....plus at the end I have plans for the Mallyan Spout.

The new Goathland river

med_gallery_17883_2878_758281.jpgrmweb108weir1B

med_gallery_17883_2878_694540.jpgrmweb112weir5

med_gallery_17883_2878_725268.jpgrmweb111weir4

This part of the river is just layered varnish, add when wet or dry has different results. I prefer wet or tacky if layering scenic products between, and dry when just building up layers, as it gets thicker you can build up the ripples naturally. You can see the reflection works nicely here. Try to avoid resting stuff on this type of surface it does take some damage if you are not careful

med_gallery_17883_2878_393126.jpgrmweb133weir1

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

My defence, DT, is that it is a detailed model, in scale for my railway, would fit nicely in the field by my stream (although no one in their right mind would site a Det there), and Jaz and Kal don't seem to mind, indeed asked me to provide details!  I find it somewhat refreshing that some digression is allowed on here rather than as seen on other sites when slapped wrists ensue even on one's own threads if one dares to discuss something not related to the main site's aim!  

I am not referring to the obvious, here.  It happens on other sites I use.

OK, we are now seriously OT, but the T100 would have been before my time.  I had Trend & Cossor among the kit I had to sign for, having worked on Ptarmigan and the dreaded NCRS, but as I say my forte was largely VHF/HF used to engineer in the links & keep things running when the main comms didn't work.  That was about as gnarly as I got in the R Signals (V), working out of a LR & 9x9!

There would be a challenge, scratchbuilding an NCRS array.  It would need space, though, a lot of space and bearign in mind its power output a lot of scale safety fence and flashing beacons ;)

ATR was for plugging the t100 and trend into a 321 in the main to allow telecoms across HF.

Ptarmigan....   Now that would be an interesting model, I could set up a few sets across AV,  I also like the idea of a Rebro on a hill or two.   So many ideas in my head, of those there will never be a shortage, now if I can only borrow a TARDIS, I could fit them all in and bend time to allow me to achieve them all before I croak.

Edited by Kal

I love that new stream and your brick wall is just first class....which is a result of the time and effort you put in to cutting it into shape etc.  I really does look awesome.  What I particularly love is the height you've been able to achieve on the wall (something I wont be able to do).  

The colour of the stream is perfect too (I should know as I've paddled in it!! ;)  The rocks around the stream are also very red and in places stain the water in the same way - just as an fyi.  

What did you use for the water in the end (apologies if i've already asked this)? 

Quick.............form a Square................... :nono:

As a former Cavalryman I don't like squares - they frighten the horses, which was the point I suppose ;)

ATR was for plugging the t100 and trend into a 321 in the main to allow telecoms across HF.

Ptarmigan....   Now that would be an interesting model, I could set up a few sets across AV,  I also like the idea of a Rebro on a hill or two.   So many ideas in my head, of those there will never be a shortage, now if I can only borrow a TARDIS, I could fit them all in and bend time to allow me to achieve them all before I croak.

Wheeled Ptarmigan was a lot of fun, but bearing in mind it was a lot of box bodies wouldn't be that interesting in modelling terms.  I suppose a Radio Relay wagon would have a deal of scratchbuilding interest - Airfix have a Bedford 4T which might serve.

I'd go for building an Access Node, probably an Extended Loop Group (ELG) as (a) that's the first Ptarmigan thing I commanded, (b ) it would be fairly interesting consisting of IIRC) a Radio Relay, a 4T Box Body Staff User Vehicle, a 16/24 generator, a GS LR & Trailer, and possibly a GS 4T, and © that little lot would be quite manageable to build and place, as all this would be co-located, although I used to put my Relay as remotely as possible for tactical (read DF) reasons.  Alternatively a SCRA© might work as it would sit by itself and be one box body.

A Trunk Node on the road would take up a lot of space and be quite boring being mainly box bodies.  If you tried to place one deployed it wouldn't even fit on your splendid layout!

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 1

Sllky_jack 

Ian, Thank you. As mentioned before seeing you start your build, and the clever way you started to layer the base around the station is what gave us food for thought, that and Julians foam has become the basis of our overall rework.

I use a wood stainer with some reddish tint in it...mahogany I think this time......I put down black on the base first, add, some petrol blue and I mix them whilst whet pushing the brush in the direction the water flows. I always try to paint in the direction nature would influence the scenic area in real life. I add some of the wood stain, then I get the green from the fluff I add, I mix the colours, then add washes. Every cooer is possible in the water, but usually the favoured greeny brown photographs most easily and the honey tone of the  varnish gives the best effect with little in put from the modeller. As Kal correctly says it looks like a really contaminated stretch of water...when you look down on it vertically it leaves a lot to be desired until the layers have really built up, but horizontally with the light in your favour it gets some nice looks. The original layers of varnish I do right across side to side, the last ones I do in patches to build up a ripple effect. I will be adding 'stones' as I did previously, this time I will show how I made them. People often have nice models...but look at them without a photographers mind...7APT7 gets some great photos by carefully planning his focus. Although I avoid photoshopping or similar I will and do take advantage of the natural light, and try to angle from the models eye view not mine...this makes for much more believable pictures. However I low you guys get this because of the way you set up you photos against your reference matter. For me the light is a great aid. We have North South and West light thanks to the wend window and veluxs, the blinds allow us to close of some light or limit it, and I prefer morning or dusk photos because the shadows then make photographs much more believable.

What I should do....is take some nasty pictures to show how much you can get away with. Once you are ready to do your water just ask and I'll take some to show how you can get away with murder :triniti:

• Like 1