Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Fantastic.

Think about adding a roof light so that it can show off the detail. A small smd led with a few yellow washes should fit well, or if you want ready wired look at the nano lights, digitrains do them.

It's part 11 in white on a black circle.  That means it's a transparency - the normal kit parts have the number in black on a white circle!  I wish I could pretend I had remembered this from 30+ years ago when I started building Airfix stuff, but I had to look ;)

I had an absolute disaster with the Blu-Tack masking.  Some of the spray made it under the mask & I got a fingerprint on the top.  Even though there's going to be a cam net up there I couldn't bear to have it like that, and having found my touching in colour wasn't a matching shade I ended up stripping back the affected parts & respraying the green last night.  I'm shattered because this took until after midnight!

I am actually wondering if there is something wrong with the nozzle on the can of black.  Despite my ineptitude with rattle cans the green has repeatedly gone on with a lovely finish, but the black is horrid!

Have you tested it on a piece of old newspaper? That might give the game away, as to whether the tin is faulty...if so go get a replacement and refund.

Have you used this colour successfully before? Perhaps they don't work well together, are they the same make?

For masking...consider Humbrol Maskol, it gets into the grooves, and a toothpick can ease it back out. I prefer 24 hours max in situ although the container says 3 days. But I agree with Kal after painting remove asap if feasible.

Pop me a picture?

I won't be able to get a refund, Jaz, as it came from the Holborn ModelZone closing down sale!  They are both Tamiya TS sprays, TS-61 and TS-63.  I suspect there might also have been a touch of being too heavy on the index finger too...

I've had the Maskol hint from elsewhere & will consider for my Chieftain Tank build.  This is why I am practising on £7 worth of Airfix LR 110 rather than £50 worth of tank, etches and resin!

It seemed to start off OK;

IMG_2472.JPG

IMG_2473.JPG

Look away now if you can't bear pictures with scenes of horror:

IMG_2474.JPG

IMG_2475.JPG

I scrubbed it back to this last night:

IMG_2476.JPG

Of course being me I couldn't leave it, so I remasked to leave the damaged bits exposed and resprayed it.  I also took a fine brush to the tidemarks in the black and improved some of the black by adding some bits so it fitted a bit better with what I learnt on the Surveillance and Countersurveillance Instructors' Course!

• Like 2

OK 

So I am starting, slowly to add a short index of items that I think maybe of interest in the topic. Check it out on the first post.

If there is anything you think should be added, let me know, preferably with on what page you saw it, but I can search if not.

Regards

Kal

Maybe.... you should do it the way the real thing is done, I painted enough of them in my time.

The Green is sprayed, but the black we hand painted.

Regards

Kal

Thanks, Kal, I've also had this suggested on another site!  The recommendation was to use Vallejo paints as these don't leave brush marks.  Any money I would invest in an airbrush is going in the railway shed fund...

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 1

Although I suppose for a model railway you want the opposite of "Basic Fieldcraft: Why things are seen"

Shape, Shine, Shadow, Silhouette, Surface,Sound, Movement and Aircraft plus the later added IR.

I never understood why colour was not included, although maybe that is included in surface.

Edited by Kal

Thanks, Kal, I've also had this suggested on another site!  The recommendation was to use Vallejo paints as these don't leave brush marks.  Any money I would invest in an airbrush is going in the railway shed fund...

Hi

In truth ALL the ones I have ever seen had brush marks, the anti-IR paint was very thick.  and you wanted to remove shine and surface as much as you could.

problem is getting the brush marks in scale  :scratchhead:

I mentioned the Surveillance & Countersurveillance Instructors' Course above, this was a hoot.  For the final exercise we were issued a range of vehicles to hide in a grid square on Salisbury Plain and then a photo recce aircraft (Jaguar?) overflew to try & find them.  We were also taken up in a Gazelle to see the results.

I suppose it was a typical stitch up as I was an Officer that after the Landrovers, Bedfords, Warriors and Challengers were issued I was shown to my project, one of these:

titan1ar2.jpg

As you can imagine apart from its size this is a nightmare to conceal.  All those straight edges which don't appear in nature?!?

Edited by C&WR

• RMweb Gold

I mentioned the Surveillance & Countersurveillance Instructors' Course above, this was a hoot.  For the final exercise we were issued a range of vehicles to hide in a grid square on Salisbury Plain and then a photo recce aircraft (Jaguar?) overflew to try & find them.  We were also taken up in a Gazelle to see the results.

I suppose it was a typical stitch up as I was an Officer that after the Landrovers, Bedfords, Warriors and Challengers were issued I was shown to my project, one of these:

titan1ar2.jpg

As you can imagine apart from its size this is a nightmare to conceal.  All those straight edges which don't appear i nature?!?

Stand it on end and pretend it's a church steeple...

Most of the RAF ones were too  ...

In truth ALL the ones I have ever seen had brush marks,

With the one exception of the Berlin Queen's Birthday Parades, where they were dozens of Landrovers [Army & RAF], to provide the equivalent of the Household Cavalry, on Horseguards.

Every single one had exactly the same pattern [i do mean exactly too] and the IR paint had to be perfect. The slightest sign of imperfect paint would cause the BSM to jump up and down screaming, at the poor MT Sgt and the whole vehicle would have to be re-sprayed. The BSM wouldn't accept even the simplest of touch up - it had to be the whole thing.    ......    :declare:

Very excitable sort of chap - the BSM  ......    :ireful:    ......  jumped around so much, he needed a badge on both the back and front of his hat  .......     :yes:

• Like 1

:O

Is that Hankley Common?

:sungum:  it is easy, stick it in a river and pretend it is a bridge  :jester:

No idea, it's a stock image.  I did spend some time on Hankley Common, but only as a CCF Cadet!

Stand it on end and pretend it's a church steeple...

I like your thinking, both.  One thing we looked at on the course was the Serb deception plan in Kosovo.  Despite the NATO bombing raids the Serbian Army left Kosovo almost completely intact.  Aside from the usual things like making dummy artillery pieces out of telegraph poles IIRC they had all manner of ruses such as putting large numbers of microwave ovens in buildings and running them to produce false ELINT!

Most of the RAF ones were too  ...

With the one exception of the Berlin Queen's Birthday Parades, where they were dozens of Landrovers [Army & RAF], to provide the equivalent of the Household Cavalry, on Horseguards.

Every single one had exactly the same pattern [i do mean exactly too] and the IR paint had to be perfect. The slightest sign of imperfect paint would cause the BSM to jump up and down screaming, at the poor MT Sgt and the whole vehicle would have to be re-sprayed. The BSM wouldn't accept even the simplest of touch up - it had to be the whole thing.    ......    :declare:

Very excitable sort of chap - the BSM  ......    :ireful:    ......  jumped around so much, he needed a badge on both the back and front of his hat  .......     :yes:

Remember giving vehicles a wash down with diesel to make them nice and shiny? 

Hi

Yep.  but Londist was a different world.

I had 3 great years there, but it, is not the same as anywhere else , even the OPS were very different and apart from some ancient larkspur  all the telecom kit was commercial