Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Would you be willing to find out the size of the machine and...look at Lincoln Central Station, they have a problem with I think the vacuum former might solve! although what the cost is is another question? he might be able to find a local machine, I don't know if he knows exactly what one does! but if you check the thread you'll see why it occurred to me.

FYI I was.born in the soft south :P.......I'm not a softie....I've got the eye of the tiger.....

Edited by Jaz

C&WR

Regards the vacuum former.

You are sitting on a goldmine. I was on a 3D course, in the third year you were allowed the vacuum former to make a low profile shop front. You used some wood  rectangular bits to make up the initial  shop front design. Think Hornby low relief shops, inc a basic door and windows. Some MDF would take a lot of fine work, (The finer the work the thin the clear sheet and the more flimsy, you can add detail afterwards)  then ours was done in clear so we could use the flat walls as display windows. Unfortunately I have lost the photographs. But I do have the drawings. (admittedly we did ours 1:20) but you could then make a run of shop. If you are interested I can put up the front design and you can adjust for size.

You could make a couple of runs of shops or a whole load of individuals on that size machine. The model is immensely easy to set up. 

You guys, shandy....beer.....you need a real drink...............

Singapore sling.........................

1 measure Gin

1 measure Cherry Brandy

1/2 measure Benedictine

1/2 measure Cointreau

Orange bitters, (grenadine syrup and angostura bitters is NOT a good substitute)

and a touch of club soda or lemonade or pineapple juice.

fruit salad deco rational optional if you need the viamin C.

It's not beer - it's cheap Southern Shandy ;)

*runs and ducks for cover*

Timothy Taylor Landlord is, I will grant you, nectar!  I'm also very fond of Sam Smiths, and loved that they had a pub in London.

However this three-month I have mainly been enjoying St Austell Proper Job.  Hoppy sunshine in a bottle.

You guys, shandy....beer.....you need a real drink...............

Singapore sling.........................

1 measure Gin

1 measure Cherry Brandy

1/2 measure Benedictine

1/2 measure Cointreau

Orange bitters, (grenadine syrup and angostura bitters is NOT a good substitute)

and a touch of club soda or lemonade or pineapple juice.

fruit salad deco rational optional if you need the viamin C.

Reminds me of the line in Cheers which went a bit like this.  One of the staff says to Norm, "bit early for a beer, isn't it?"  The answer came, "so float a cornflake in it, call it breakfast."

• Like 1

I should really just stick to reading the layout threads and lunester.....  some people you have to deal with in your working life,....... but it is such a drain to have them in your leisure time too. :banghead:

In the main I am a very easy going and happy person. So......

New year resolution....   take my own advice and change channel.   More this   :bye: less time wanting to do this  :hunter:

My song for the day

http://youtu.be/-rmg7Ms_R-M

Edited by Kal

St Austell a great family Brewery, with many good Ales.

Used to produce Newquay Steam - rather appropriately named for the behaviour it followed.

One pub got through so much beer from St Austell, that a special, Long-Bed truck was purchased to supply just that pub!! The truck would arrive and the 2 crew started to unload the new beer and return with the empties. By the time they had offloaded the new casks, they were bringing empties up from the first ones they offloaded earlier  .....   :declare:

They also imported Jamaican Rum in vast barrels, which were stored in order of purchase on tracks similar to railway lines. The Rum would be watered down to 40% proof and bottled, when it had aged 7 years. They produced a higher Proof one similar to Navy Rum, which was watered less. I don't know whether they still do it, but they also produced one at full 7 year Proof - named  -125.

I used to sell it with a health warning and recommended mixers, as it really had a bite to it.

One chap came in with a couple of ladies and proceeded to show off to them in a loud pompous voice. He made quite a nuisance of himself through the evening with various demands and eventually came down to the Bar for coffee and nightcap. He continued showing off, recommending various drinks for the ladies and eventually I managed to get them their drinks. Then came his turn and opportunity placed itself my way at last. :sungum:

"What is that?" he asked, loudly, pointing at the 125.

"Rum, from our local Brewery." I replied. "Quite strong 'though, not for the faint hearted." I added, smiling. .............     and not mentioning it is about 5/6 times stronger than the normal stuff    .....   :whistle:     

"I'll have a large one please." he announced to the crowd    ......................................................................................................    HOOKED!   ....  

"It is quite strong," I reminded him, "Perhaps a single first?"

"Oh no, a large one, neat." he voiced for all to appreciate his bravado [Even the Navy stuff was consumed 50/50]   .............................................       LINE and SINKER   .... 

"Well if you are sure, a large one it is."  .......   trying not to raise a loud cheer   .........   :angel:

He sat down on a stool by the Bar and commenced a conversation, as I poured the Rum. Having got the glass, eventually he paused to sniff, approvingly, at the top of the glass, but clearly didn't take notice of the vapour, which would make most people's eyes water. He didn't sip it as any normal person might, having had warnings, a good slug went in and was rolled briefly before being swallowed.

It got about half-way down to his stomach before it met the violent muscular contraction coming the opposite way  .....   

He froze, moving absolutely nothing, eyes staring straight ahead, every muscle in his body taut  .....    after an age, he managed to dare a breath, very slowly and with concentration   ......    not another sound, or movement for five or six minutes   .............       :rolleyes:

I did eventually have sympathy and went to get his coffee from the table where he had left the ladies, to help slide the rest of the liquid fire down. He was 3 sheets to the wind very soon and remained very quiet until Taxi time  ...   :(

:angel:  :jester:  :angel:

I am reminded of the time I went to a scrumpy house outside Old Windsor. Some where near Billy Smarts winter quarters. Everyone decided to have a scrumpy, The guys pints, they said this stuff had a serious reputation, the girls all had a sip...looked at each other and said yeah okkkkkay we'll have halves.  We left the bar and sat down in the garden, a barmaid brought the halves out. Very nice a bit smooth, we all decided it was not very alcoholic so ordered several more. Everyone seemed sober enough, until one of the girl's got up to go to the toilet and could barely stand, immediate ridicule from the still sober people in the party. I got up to help her and found my knees were like water, my legs like spaghetti. One of the lads crowed said he would sort her out, and found he could not walk in a straight line to get to her chair. After a brief conversation some kind old man sat on a nearby brick wall helped my friend to the toilet, waited and brought her back. We then had a surreal conversation. Everyone seemed sober, everyone felt sober, we were sure we all talked normally.....but our legs were having none of it. A barmaid collecting empties....said we were a long way from the first casualties. We pointed out the police checked this back road fairly often.....for people convinced they could drive home......just then a cop car slowly drove up the road and passed the pub. We promptly asked if there was a phone, and booked taxis. My mates boyfriend, later her husband, said he had to wait until late the next afternoon before he felt competent to collect car.

Needless to say, I have avoided scrumpy from a barrel since, unless it is bottled....it which case I like the fruit flavoured ones.

That Scrumpy is wicked stuff indeed   .....    farmers in our local Devon Pub made it clear no-one could make it out of the door unaided with 4 pints of it inside them  ..........    :no:

Not actually true  ...   it is just possible with 4 pints of it and 4 Whiskey chasers too   .........    it is possible to get home in the space behind the Driver and Passenger in a Sunbeam Tiger too   .........   :declare:

With effort it is possible to walk, in a straight line, past 2 Parents in the kitchen AND say "Goodnight" politely    ............      :training:

........................    but the stairs are definitely a 5 minute job on all fours     .........   :swoon: ...........  not that it is possible to count them but they must have been there because they were still attached in the morning   .......     :prankster:

• RMweb Gold

Now everybody, this is out of order.  Two days at work and two days on Grandparent duty and I am about 7 pages behind!  Stuff I would have commented on but it is too late now!  ;) 

Southern beer:  We do have Bishop's Finger, probably the best beer in the country. (Well apart from maybe Abbots).

My brother-in-law, many many years ago as a young lad had some scrumpy in a pub in Devon where they told him that even the locals drank no more than a pint.  He drank three halves, they would not sell it in pints, and he said he felt fine.  As he went to the door, his dad was on one side and his brother on the other.  As he opened the door and hit the fresh air they caught him as the scumpy took effect.

I am sure I had sensible things to say as well.  I assume that you have noticed that the web site with the figures did vehicles as well.

The re-build looks so much better than the original.  I certainly would not want to camp in that camp site as I would be worried that I would have water in my tent in the morning.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 2

Yes, Cider is lovely but slowly creeps up on you and because its taste more like pop, can get through it quicker than beer that is until you try to walk or try standing first, yet alone trying to remember where did I park the car...Doh...!!!! to sleep you understand....

Cider rocks....man...!

Jamie

• Like 1

J

story of the attempt to make it up the stairs. Reminds me of a school holiday....which could fill the times for a St Trinians movie. At the tender age of 16. I got the chance to go to France on another one of their school holidays (The Swiss one and the flag and the broken marble desktop incident is probably not best remembered) Anyways two of my favourite teachers were amongst the ones supposed to guard our innocence. We arrived at a French Bistro / Hotel which was on the main roadside of the seaside town, where the owner took one horrified look at us, and it became someones French was definitely not up to the job. He was expecting half the number of children and expecting them to be half the age (you'd think twice one half the other misunderstanding probably easy to see) We were billeted (well that's what it felt like) in beds slightly bigger than singles but definitely not doubles, and were expected to share!!!!!!! Any 14,15 or 16 year old (our respective ages) with hormones breaking out was to impressed with sharing a bed with another girl, whether an extra pillow was provided as a bolster or not. Needless to say there was a lot of arguing then the teachers (all female) up and we got told that was the way it was full stop.

That night there was caterwauling and wolf whistling, before a very flustered hotelier came locking on the doors and asked us to shut the curtains. We hollered back back they were, and he said not the thin nets ones but the heavy drapes, we pointed out this is July in France you have to be kidding. He pointed out if we looked out the window to the road slow we were realised what all the shooting was a bout we were offering up a shadowed strip tease. All the hungry males in the vicinity were gathered downstairs gutted very excited. Needless to say the curtain did not shut BUT all the lights were promptly turned off as we shouted throughout to ht e other rooms. A chorus of protests went up outside. The hotelier went down and we looked out to see what a strange noise was, this guy had a bullwhip and was cracking it with some expertise. Girls all went to bed, amidst muffled giggles and very puffed up egos.

As I said there was a number of incidents too many to mention so a few highlights.

1. Going to the local dance (started 7.00pm) we had a 9.00pm curfew (what idiot allowed that god knows but it was fun) My best friend spoke much better French than me, there were 4 of us and we  paid went in, then my best friend went loco said all the banners meant it was some communist do, and WE were leaving, so one angry and three slight tee'd of girls ate red to leave, the person who had taken our money asked what the problem was and My friend in her best French said she was not dancing in French communist building and we were leaving. These left some very confused Frenchies and one highly amused not very competent French speaker (moi) to explain to my mates she had just said she was not dancing with French communist furniture (meuble / immeuble). This might not be you kind of highlight but it was my finest hour so far as speaking French goes....

2. As previously mentioned this was July, in July in France there is Bastille day. At the seaside where we were this involved a beach party and fireworks, so we got to stay out later. The rail of teachers to children was not in there favour, and as the oldest (16 versus 14/15) we were given some leeway (yeah great idea) So we are at the beach near the seawall, looking at the Frenchies (not an insult) and we were also being observed. The same 4 of us were soon having sweeties thrown at us. Which we were picking up off the floor removing the papers and chomping, whilst flirting like mad. Until it occurred to me (why didn't I keep my mouth shut) that the boys were not so much throwing them at us, so much as at the girl of the French speaking incident, and that there appeared to be now hard feeling, the opposite in fact, this friend had a well developed pair of..(well you know what I mean) and they were attempting to 'score' the sweets into her frontage. I mentioned to one of my friends and she immediately repeated to you guessed it....she storms off affronted (hehe) and we of course follow. Any way we are not too far from the hotel, so we wander back, and go through the front planning on getting a orangina, when we find two of the teachers (who were supposed to be at the fireworks watching us) cozied up in the bar drinking wine with the hotelier, everyone else is at the Bastille celebrations. Two guilty teachers, hmmmm, offer to pay for the drinks,  oh wise got a guilty conscious, and the hotelier pours us white wine. One etcher goes to say something and gets nudged. I have to suppose in retrospect they thought if we got in 'trouble' we would be less loath to mention their dereliction of duty. Anyway several free wines later, the rest turn up, the teachers who had gone to the fireworks too relieved t account for the whole pack of girls to make a fuss, so the other firs got sent off to bed the rest of the teachers joined us and booze continued to flow. At some stage someone got brave and asked to try a Ricard with water. This passed without incident and we got Ricards. Eventually the night wore and and we needed to get to bed. Two of us had already gone up and two of us were left. So Debbie and I made our way to the stairs (a spiral staircase) and attempted to climb it, well we had 4 belts between us and four arms, several times we got half way, before becoming entangled and rolling back down (how nothing got broken I'll never know) The teachers were fully aware of what was happening as sniggering and even guffaws were in regular evidence. Finally the hotelier took pity on us, turned on the lift (which we had been informed earlier was switched off for the night) and we managed to make it to the net floor and roll into our beds. (A little aside here Debbie, would clean her feet in the bidet...something none of us had seen previously and although 3 of use one it was not a pidet for the sand in you feet...no-one ever mentioned her mistake).

Anyways, off to bed,drunk as skunks, there were some funny goings on, but you had to be there to get most of the jokes.

This is now getting too long so I will just jump to the best one left. The next night, we tried to ingratiate our selves and sit down for a drink, no go we had had our night and were bundled off upstairs, so instead we (not me you understand) instigated a small party in a couple of the rooms, not enough to all fit in one. We ended up in a room with one of the teachers daughters and her mate (who was not from our school) We also found out that the teachers got free holidays because our parents paid top price. And whilst sat in her room, scoffing snacks, and some wine someone had managed to snag, we were exchanging previous school stories (that flag forever haunts me) when there was a noise outside our window. W had been sat with one sidelight to avoid the teachers telling us for teasing the boys out on the street, but when the 'mate' pulled the net curtain a boys face was pressed against the glass, she screamed, we screamed...I think he screamed too......there was a crash noise then the hotelier came racing up the stairs followed by teachers. Everywhere was quiet, Girls were madly trying to find out how to return to their own rooms without getting caught up in the now full blown argument. The 'mate' eventually got a word in edgeways and said a boy had been at their bedroom window. Te hotelier said this was impossible, there was no veranda, only a glass cover to provide rain cover on the rare occasion when it rained and people were sat outside drinking at his tables on the pavement, then she mentioned the noise, he looked, opened the window, stuck his head out...at that point I have no idea what he was saying but I would suppose it was some very colourful French swearwords. He disappeared. The teachers sent those not from that room off to bed. They swopped rooms so teachers slept the night in that room, a bedroom check (not a search) to lock all windows, and meantime there apparently was broken glass being cleaned, an a very excitable hotelier, ranting out on the pavement. Eventually we ignored it and slept.

The stories of Mont Sr Michel, getting caught the wrong side of the seaweed whilst paddling, and the live fish in the fish restaurant....perhaps another time. Although the trip to Belgium, and staying at a French Convent (?) in Brugges and being smuggled in the back door by a nun? I had great school holidays.  :angel:  :sungum:

Needless to say Parents ever got to hear the juicy bits.And once I was a t college, Paris and Rome were serious eye openers!!!! But I do know college lads should be very careful about walking up to street prostitutes, especially in the park in Rome where they are boys dressed as girls!!!!!!!!!  :nono:

• Like 1

Hi Jazz

Man... we never done half at our schools to what you did... sounds like fun fun fun... I was going to use other words but stopped myself  :triniti:   the good old days hey, don't you just wish history would repeat itself, but only on the good parts in life ... :stinker:

And they all returned home safely ever after... :locomotive:

Jamie

Sasquatch

You said you needed 200 trees, well I think £1 a tree seems fair, shall I send them right over?

med_gallery_17883_3001_448409.jpgrmweb657terraforming147

one pack on the layout, one to go

med_gallery_17883_3001_22522.jpgrmweb658terraforming149

med_gallery_17883_3001_469262.jpgrmweb659terraforming149

and some loose ballast to ee how we are doing, and look at the colour

med_gallery_17883_3001_223087.jpgrmweb660terraforming150

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 9

I am thinking that in some places the colour is too pale, especially near the church so I darken it, and am happier with the result

med_gallery_17883_3001_79727.jpgrmweb661terraforming151

and a step back, I do prefer this, and will repeat it in some other places.

med_gallery_17883_3001_592387.jpgrmweb662terraforming152

• Like 7