ModelZone seeking Administration

Ravenser

Whilst this can be true, in Hornby's case it would seem that some of the their items are on a consignment basis, with Modelzone effectively acting as a sales agent.  In this case the relevant stock will belong to Hornby.

That is how it was in my day but with one condition.

Hornby will need to prove with cast iron documentary evidence that the stock is indeed "consignment stock" and that they are the rightful owners.

There will of course be no urgency to return any stock to Hornby.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

That is how it was in my day but with one condition.

Hornby will need to prove with cast iron documentary evidence that the stock is indeed "consignment stock" and that they are the rightful owners.

There will of course be no urgency to return any stock to Hornby.

Bernard

I would imagine Hornby are on the ball on this issue, it was the same with Beatties, my local model shop at the time acted for Hornby in clearing out the nearest Beatties of all Hornby stock when the plug was eventually pulled.

• RMweb Premium

Has this been extended to the Airfix kits? The two times I've been in only 20% off them in my local store, with 50% on the paints and materials like you say.

Cheers,

Alan

I assumed it was kits as I didn't notice any other Airfix branded products. Maybe I was misled?

The various 20%, 30% & 50% signs seem to be a bit randomly placed anyway.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I have taken the view that this is now very much a case of "use it or lose it" and have voted with my purse by buying a lot of stuff over the phone from The Signalbox. Hopefully if enough stock can be sold from each outlet then there will be a case for saving in some way the stores which have performed well. At any rate, this might be the last chance to obtain some of the special commissions, and I bought the Charringtons TTA set, the LMR shunter 'Basra' and the 08 'Starlet'. 

I think that is a realistic approach Jenny and - as you say - if we spend in them we might help save some of the outlets.  While I have bought a handful, literally, of Bachmann wagons I have bought plenty of scenic stuff and paints etc which would probably have come from MZ in any case simply as a matter of convenience (my bigger purchases normally going to my two 'local' model shops although geographically MZ's nearest branch is much closer than both of them!).

We might possibly be considered as vultures picking over a corpse but especially if it is stuff that would have come from them in any case I certainly don't see it that way not do I see it as taking potential trade away from other retailers.

it branches like chester that i think are a shame to see going, also deansgate (although i never used it but knew of it pre modelzone), there are no doubt others too, they to my eyes were "traditional" model shops bought under the modelzone banner only to be now closing down, when i was little i used to love going to the old shop in chester with my mum, down the narrow windy stairs to the basement holding on to the well worn shiny brass handrail to see the locos on display, pre Bachmann days of course, maybe buy a superquick kit or some Hornby figures, even the new shop (before modelzone) had a traditional feel about it with the arts and craft section on the first floor

the big "superstore" shopping mall shops had that cloned, sterile, corporate feel about them that the "swallowed up" shops like chester managed to steer away from as best as they could

Yes the old Arts and Crafts shop in St Micheals row in chester. A really good old fashion toy shop full of exciting mind boggling things that would make any young lads eyes light up. Run by the Hutchinson family, father Donald was a kind loving man that always had time to chat and help with any model railway purchases, sons Mike and Nick who where both brought up with the business always kept it well stocked and the staff who never seemed to change showed a good well run business. The old shop was probably one of the longest surviving shops in the city and all with original fittings too. A great shame if this shop disappears not only the city of chester but also for the modeller.

The news I heard is the founder David Mordecai had an offer for half of the 47 stores rejected by the Administrators, and that the first closure (s) will be this weekend.

One of the two group companies higher up the chain of command is said to be safe

I too cannot see the stores reopening again in the same field of R/C, kits /paint Hornby etc. in better times a retailer might take all the stores in one swoop and change direction, such as the Tandy stores, bought up to reopen as Carphone warehouse outlets.

Still hoping for a White Knight for the Signal Box

The news I heard is the founder David Mordecai had an offer for half of the 47 stores rejected by the Administrators, and that the first closure (s) will be this weekend.

Still hoping for a White Knight for the Signal Box

I think they were seen heading some 20 miles west along the A2 a couple of months ago, and I wish them all success in their new venture.  If they had sufficient business foresight to see what was coming, and were able to take their own opportunity, then they deserve not only our best wishes, but also our fullest support.

Lowest price isn't everything -  reliability, customer relationships and good reputation don't come cheaply,  and I think that both retailers and us as customers need to have realistic expectations. I will be happy to give them some business by mail order and see how things work out. If the goodwill, fair pricing, interesting exclusive limited editions and good reputation are seen to be alive and well in Sidcup, then we will be well served. I don't want to see the selling of model railway items gradually (or worse!) shrinking down to just a couple of mega-names! Breadth and variety of suppliers is, I think, in the interest of all of us, including the manufacturers!

And this is from someone who has used 5 different retailers by mail order during the past fortnight as well as buying through RM Web Classifieds)

Richard!!

• RMweb Gold

The Reading branch has had a delivery from the warehouse and all of it was out on the shelves today - basically as near zero in railway items as makes no difference with a few oddments of scenic stuff and that was it, but if you want various superannuated r/c car models or kits of varying age and interest your luck might be in.  The chap behind the counter reckoned they branch might last might last another month if they are lucky and buying continues but no more news from the administrators although he was aware that Amerang had been sold to Ripmax.

Incidentally the reduction on plastic kits is 20% irrespective of maker.

• RMweb Gold

I was hoping to visit the New Oxford Street branch today on my travels but it was just too hot to go on the deeper underground and then carry anything back to the office.

Luckily a friend is visiting one up North this weekend so he has a request from me to try and find an Airfix kit I have been tempted for osme time but resisted due to price and and more importantly, distracting me from the railway modelling, so if he gets 20% off then that will be a nice distraction for a couple of evenings.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Mike - what time were you in there today? I popped in shortly after 11:30 for a few minutes so we might have just missed each other!

About an hour later, maybe even a bit later than that and only there for, probably 5 minutes this time (Mrs Stationmaster took exception to me taking a liking to an r/c tank, I dunno what she'd think if she knew of my interest in this site, although the prices are zooming up out of my reach) -

http://www.mark-1-tank.co.uk/index.html

Mike - what time were you in there today? I popped in shortly after 11:30 for a few minutes so we might have just missed each other!

I was in there at about 11:40. Perhaps we unwittingly passed each other!

Bought a few cheap paints.  Cheerful girl behind the counter.  I wished them luck with a purchaser.

Hi All

Does anyone know what will come of the Limited Editions that were on order... in advance for some of their future releases and whether they are now knocked on the head or will they be offered by Bachmann to another party to sell like... Kernows...etc...

Cheers

Jamie

Hi All

Does anyone know what will come of the Limited Editions that were on order... in advance for some of their future releases and whether they are now knocked on the head or will they be offered by Bachmann to another party to sell like... Kernows...etc...

Cheers

Jamie

According to some magazine statements, the models will be made, but until the situation with Modelzone is resolved, no distribution details are presently available. Perhaps other dealers will be offered them, or Bachmann may even sell them direct, and/or through their collectors club ? 

HTH

Ken

I was in there at about 11:40. Perhaps we unwittingly passed each other!

Bought a few cheap paints.  Cheerful girl behind the counter.  I wished them luck with a purchaser.

Quite possibly - as I was also in that part of the shop buying some poly cement - and I remember someone else coming in and looking for paints at the time!

No, certainly can't fault the customer service of the girl behind the counter - she's often been in when I've been in and always been helpful.

One thing I will definitely miss about ModelZone is that it was one of the places I used to leave stacks of leaflets for my exhibition - and they used to be picked up off the counter so quickly I couldn't keep up with the print runs!

In My Local earlier and was told that Peterboro' will closed at end of trading today.

Also mentioned was one of the Glasgow area stores ( Silverburn I belive ), Trafford Centre ( Landlord issues ), and a couple of others over the next week or so.

Hopefully they will get down to a small enough 'core' that someone - or even David Mordecai's previous offer - will be able to Buy them out.

Sorry for those that now know that they have lost their jobs.

Situation is changing daily as new information and situations with Landlords etc come along.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Just been in the Reading branch

Still plenty of Hornby stock and some Bachmann but nothing that I could use. Did stock up on Humbrol paints and brushes plus my first aircraft kit in many years.

The staff seamed fairly upbeat and happy that they were selling stuff so fingers crossed that they can survive a bit longer and some good comes out of this for some branches.

Ian

Just unboxed my latest MZ purchase (which has been sitting upopened for a while), used up a gift voucher from the New Oxford Street opening, so got 3 Bachmann opens for £18.99. Not cheap, but cheaper than boxshifters, and a limited edition of 504.

A MZ limited edition being a fitting way to say farewell to the chain.

Rather nice relatively local (right city!) set of wagons... and finally a piece of SECR stock to go with that C Class!

post-4226-0-58056700-1374429359_thumb.jpg

Just been in the Reading branch

Still plenty of Hornby stock and some Bachmann but nothing that I could use. Did stock up on Humbrol paints and brushes plus my first aircraft kit in many years.

The staff seamed fairly upbeat and happy that they were selling stuff so fingers crossed that they can survive a bit longer and some good comes out of this for some branches.

Ian

Did you see what was there in the way of Bachmann rolling stock? (coaches I'd be specifically after) - and at what discount? Also what else are they discounting in terms of model railway items from other manufacturers? (i.e. Gaugemaster etc)

• RMweb Gold

Did you see what was there in the way of Bachmann rolling stock? (coaches I'd be specifically after) - and at what discount? Also what else are they discounting in terms of model railway items from other manufacturers? (i.e. Gaugemaster etc)

The simple answer - which is unchanged for a week or more - is very little.  Any of the coaching stock they have is in blue 0r blue/grey livery and the most prolific items are GUVs of which there were, I think, still 4 or 5 on Friday.  I had a Ronuk tank car a couple of weeks back for less than the advertised Hattons price and I think the POS I bought, because it's on Mk1 bogies (which was the only one they had), was also a few pence less than the Hattons price.  But reportedly a group of folk cleared out the stockroom of Bachmann in the first week of the sale!

Generally the discount on model railway items - including Gaugemaster - is 20% and that has been the case since day 1 (i.e. 20% off RRP)

Just unboxed my latest MZ purchase (which has been sitting upopened for a while), used up a gift voucher from the New Oxford Street opening, so got 3 Bachmann opens for £18.99. Not cheap, but cheaper than boxshifters, and a limited edition of 504.

A MZ limited edition being a fitting way to say farewell to the chain.

Rather nice relatively local (right city!) set of wagons... and finally a piece of SECR stock to go with that C Class!

attachicon.gifMZ_LondonCoal.JPG

HI

I do like the Nine Elms wagon in that set,are there any more of them around to be had?.

Darren

Archived