ModelZone seeking Administration

Ravenser

Hamleys and Harrods charge list prices and normally have one or two markdown items, often at prices better than Hattons. If you go into Hamleys now, they are selling the Northern Pacer at £50 (£80 at Hattons). Very much as Keith above notes with concessions in general.

MZ had a price match policy so, for example, Brum would match the Ian Allan store on price.

I'm not saying that Hornby wouldn't benefit from a review of pricing for certain items, but I do find the assumption that because a particular person doesn't want an item at a certain price, no-one does, or that somehow the fact that Hornby stuff isn't being stripped from the shelves makes it unsellable. To my mind the issues are much more specific, i.e. 1st class coaches with no matching 3rds because they are sold out everywhere; or HST power cars without matching coaches. That frankly doesn't help anyone, whether its MZ or your local model shop. But when the Railroad Mk1s come out, they will be £15 plus £4 postage from Hattons, or £17.99 from Harrods, so why would it be so barmy to buy one from the latter?  

At one time the old MZ store in Holborn would price match with the Signal Box in Rochester but you had to ask.

• RMweb Premium

At one time the old MZ store in Holborn would price match with the Signal Box in Rochester but you had to ask.

But surely The Signal Box price was set by MZ?

IIRC Most SB stock seemed to be the same price.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

But surely The Signal Box price was set by MZ?

IIRC Most SB stock seemed to be the same price.

Keith

I assume he's talking about before SB became part of MZ. I certainly remember going into MZ in Holborn and asking about price matching and was told "bring in a magazine showing the lower price", so I went round the corner (well to Waterloo anyway) and bought one. I saved much more than the cost of the magazine! This must have been well over 10 years ago, now...

I went into the Reading store today. They have lots of paint and glue and a fair bit of Woodland Scenics but lack tools and railway kits. They do have a little bit of Bachmann stuff left and a couple of gaugemaster controllers. They don't know when they are closing and they are getting deliveries - but people are phoning up to find out when and then coming in to strip out anything good.

Now what on earth am I going to do with a S&DJR liveried 3F?

Modelzone Deansgate and Trafford Centre always price matched Waltons of Altrincham

Is Trafford Centre still open ??

Trafford Centre is still open, but if you havent been for a few months .... beware..... they are no longer in their prime position near the entrance on the top floor. They are now in a smaller shop opposite on the ground floor.

They had plenty of plastic kits, paints, brushes, but the only railway stuff I could see were:

Heljan RTC railbuses, 47 blue IKB, 3 wagon sets, blue BGs, RODs and EMUs (not tempted as not reduced significantly to warrant a purchase) plus sundry Farish coaches.

Trafford Centre is still open, but if you havent been for a few months .... beware..... they are no longer in their prime position near the entrance on the top floor. They are now in a smaller shop opposite on the ground floor.

They had plenty of plastic kits, paints, brushes, but the only railway stuff I could see were:

Heljan RTC railbuses, 47 blue IKB, 3 wagon sets, blue BGs, RODs and EMUs (not tempted as not reduced significantly to warrant a purchase) plus sundry Farish coaches.

Head for Debenhams (the end away from Trafford park, nearest the ski slope) and they're on the ground floor on the left.

Die cast model case only had a handfull of cars in, mostly where you couldn't see them (up against the wall)

As much railway stuff as I've seen in there but not much N gauge.

quite a number of toy RC cars and enough plastic kits to appear stocked.

I was last in a week or so ago tho...

• RMweb Premium

Got a Bachmann "Blue Anchor" SB in Brum MZ for £15.99 today.

There were others marked at higher prices but mine was marked £19.99 and I got 20% off.

(it'll go nicely with the GWR station I got from Ian Allan a few weeks back at half price)

Seems to be some bits and bobs in the railway section from elsewhere as there were Cooper Craft and Parkside Dundas stuff I hadn't noticed before.

Keith

I notice now that having just clicked on the Modelzone and SB websites (they were still saved to my favourites) that you just get a message stating that 'This page can't be displayed'. Not even the administration notice any more..

• RMweb Premium

I find the whole discounting issue very amusing. It sees that we have forgotten anything about value or worth and we are now obsessed with price!

Most of the models available are extremely good value for money, even at full RRP. Certainly compared to what we had 30-40 years ago.

If Bachmann or Hornby brought out a new loco with a RRP of £100, which could be obtained with a discount down to £75, I wonder if they would get more sales than introducing the same model at £70 with no scope for discounting?

Was our seeming obsession with discounts part of the reason why Modelzone failed? Judging by the number of people who seem to think that paying full price for anything to do with model railways is unthinkable, it may have been.

I know that many of us are feeling the financial pinch, myself included. I have spent very little on model railways for a while. However, I feel we should acknowledge that in terms of the trade and RTR stuff, we have never had it so good in terms of quality and value. If we are contributing to the demise of the high street model shop by insisting on really big discounts, maybe we should give it some thought as to whether we want our remaining model shops to survive.

• RMweb Premium

Cardiff still open yesterday.

But closing on Saturday, according to a member of staff there.

Huge "Last few days" signs hanging from the ceiling, and some discounts slightly increased.

Awful for the staff there, but possibly good news for Antics (and to a lesser extent, Ian Allen).

• RMweb Gold

I find the whole discounting issue very amusing. It sees that we have forgotten anything about value or worth and we are now obsessed with price!

Most of the models available are extremely good value for money, even at full RRP. Certainly compared to what we had 30-40 years ago.

If Bachmann or Hornby brought out a new loco with a RRP of £100, which could be obtained with a discount down to £75, I wonder if they would get more sales than introducing the same model at £70 with no scope for discounting?

Was our seeming obsession with discounts part of the reason why Modelzone failed? Judging by the number of people who seem to think that paying full price for anything to do with model railways is unthinkable, it may have been.

I know that many of us are feeling the financial pinch, myself included. I have spent very little on model railways for a while. However, I feel we should acknowledge that in terms of the trade and RTR stuff, we have never had it so good in terms of quality and value. If we are contributing to the demise of the high street model shop by insisting on really big discounts, maybe we should give it some thought as to whether we want our remaining model shops to survive.

Absolutely spot on.  Alas I think 'deep discounting' has probably done our hobby more harm than good in recent years and the failure of Modelzone is perhaps in part due to it (although model railways are but a small part of their repertoire).  And it might even be that their present situation is harming other retailers although most of what I have bought there I would have bought from them anyway purely for the convenience (they being my nearest model shop - the two I regard as my 'local' shops are both further away but a long way to go when I just happen to need a few scenic bits & bobs or a tin of paint).

While I don't necessarily argue with a small discount - as practiced by many retailers - and don't consider it unhealthy if that is how they wish to manage their business and survive I'm afraid the really deep discounters who sell for a few pence above trade price, or even below it in some cases, give the market the wrong impression.  And that impression has led many buyers to regard deeply discounted prices as representing the norm although its something which many retailers are not foolhardy or wealthy enough to follow and who presumably need a greater return from their business in order to pay the mortgage or buy food.   Fortunately both Bachmann and Hornby, in their different ways, seem to have woken up to the problem in recent times with Hornby tackling it from two directions by both altering their trade terms and trying the option of lower RRP with reduced production costs.

Unfortunately this is just one of the casualties of the metamorphosis which is going on in retail.  We could leave the EU, switch off the Internet and go back to Retail Price Maintenance and Purchase Tax to save traditional walk-in shopping.  Alternatively we could accept the march of progress and find a better way to access 'see it in the flesh, try before you buy, expert advice' personal service we all crave, yet seem unwilling to pay for.

Perhaps the exhibition model is the starting point.  Manufacturers (not suppliers) attend exhibitions with a wide range of samples but little or no stock to sell.  Punters make their decision on what to buy, then purchase online.  If the product is good the manufacturer gets the sale whichever supplier is chosen.

While I don't necessarily argue with a small discount - as practiced by many retailers - and don't consider it unhealthy if that is how they wish to manage their business and survive I'm afraid the really deep discounters who sell for a few pence above trade price, or even below it in some cases, give the market the wrong impression.

As it happens  I was talking to a retailer recently who told me that at some shows he has attended The Signal Box has been selling stuff cheaper than he could buy it from Hornby.

IMHO whilst this might be helpful to our wallets in the short term I wonder what will happen in the longer term with the viability of all but the largest retailers brought into question?

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Isn't it the case though that the deepest discounts are on models that aren't selling hence the need to discount to clear the stock.

In the case of Signal Box, perhaps the discounting was a sign of a need to create cash flow for the wider company.

I know of one box shifter who was selling the green liveried Bachmann SE&CR Class C for barely £1 above the trade price;  hardly a model which needed to be discounted to clear stock!  Another box shifter is also quite known for his occasional lapses into selling newly released models at less than cost - including some which are in high demand.

I notice now that having just clicked on the Modelzone and SB websites (they were still saved to my favourites) that you just get a message stating that 'This page can't be displayed'. Not even the administration notice any more..

The modelzone.co.uk site is definitely not responding. I guess the money to pay the web hosting company has run out.

• RMweb Gold

The modelzone.co.uk site is definitely not responding. I guess the money to pay the web hosting company has run out.

Or maybe they're aware that threads like this are doing their job for them with advice of which shops are still open and what they have in stock - not an ideal form of free advertising but probably pretty effective.

• RMweb Gold

But closing on Saturday, according to a member of staff there.

Huge "Last few days" signs hanging from the ceiling, and some discounts slightly increased.

Awful for the staff there, but possibly good news for Antics (and to a lesser extent, Ian Allen).

oh bum, typically i'm working in canton on tuesday!

might pop into the brum one tomorrow though, is there a branch in doncaster (not sure if tags models became modelzone?)

I know of one box shifter who was selling the green liveried Bachmann SE&CR Class C for barely £1 above the trade price;  hardly a model which needed to be discounted to clear stock!  Another box shifter is also quite known for his occasional lapses into selling newly released models at less than cost - including some which are in high demand.

Ahh, maybe I am not seeing those as I only tend to look at prices on N gauge models

Archived