ModelZone seeking Administration

Ravenser

• RMweb Gold

At Trafford Centre this morning, Stock getting thinner. Hornby and Scalextric being taken away on Tuesday. Bachmann mainly MZ Special Editions at 20% off, 2x Basra, 1x Starlet, lot of IKBs, Slope Tipplers and IU Blue BGs, 2x Charrington sets, some emus and several Heljan railbuses.

Paint tools etc 30% to 50%. Quite a lot of kits at 30% off.

• RMweb Gold

Bristol one has no matt black!

Asked them how long before they shut and they all chuckled. One member of staff had clocked 100 such questions and by 11.00 this morning they had 6 such questions. A bit of a competition going on between them.

They reckon 3 weeks.

• RMweb Premium

Happened to go to Meadowhall Sheffield/Rotherham  yesterday, and could find no trace of modelzone, admittedly I've not been in Meadowhall for a year, Modelzone was not listed on their free maps of the place.

The  Q

Had a look through everything yesterday in Brum and not really impressed. I wanted to get hold of a Hornby pullman, they only had the Brighton Belle ones. I would have picked up 'Basra' at the same time had I bought a Pullman (in for a penny...) and maybe a couple of Farish wagons too. But there was little to no variety, the same items were repeated over and over and over, and what was there was still overpriced compared to Hattons and other box-shifters.

I was also looking for a decent model of Michael Schumachers Mercedes or Valentino Rossi's Yamaha, but again, I met with no luck. Collossal prices for what they were.

Please, don't take this as a diatribe, sincerely hope that MZ can be saved, but they need some thing to change. I wasn't even tempted to spend anything in there yesterday

• RMweb Premium

If the Southampton shop is anything to go by, I think the non-railway stock has been cherrypicked in much the same way as the Bachmann stuff. I've been in 2 or 3 times a week and on one occasion it was clear that the plastic section had been compacted into a much smaller area to hide the growing gaps. A lot of the 1/35 military vehicles had gone, and a lot of aircraft kits. The diecast showcases are half empty. Was in on Friday and couldn't think of anything to get, having stocked up on paint and glues.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

I checked out Croydon and Bromley stores yesterday, and came back with a few bits. Croydon had a few Bachmann locos in 00 and n, Bromley about 20 wagons, mainly bauxite liveries, and some wagon 3 packs.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Clearly one of their problems on the railway side has been price against the other outlets available. They had one when I was at Trafford Centre but not the exact model I was looking for. Checking other outlets I could get it delivered at about 10% less than the Modelzone discounted price.

Kingston were still trading today, and waiting for an announcement expected tomorrow, I believe that an offer has been made to the administrators for about half of the stores (pretty much the 'old' half) but that this has been turned down.

I've just returned having spent nearly 90 quid on evergreen styrene :victory:

Jon

Had a look through everything yesterday in Brum and not really impressed. I wanted to get hold of a Hornby pullman, they only had the Brighton Belle ones. I would have picked up 'Basra' at the same time had I bought a Pullman (in for a penny...) and maybe a couple of Farish wagons too. But there was little to no variety, the same items were repeated over and over and over, and what was there was still overpriced compared to Hattons and other box-shifters.

I was also looking for a decent model of Michael Schumachers Mercedes or Valentino Rossi's Yamaha, but again, I met with no luck. Collossal prices for what they were.

Please, don't take this as a diatribe, sincerely hope that MZ can be saved, but they need some thing to change. I wasn't even tempted to spend anything in there yesterday

It's all relative to what you want - I was passing Brum on Friday and popped in, picked up the Bachmann Sheffield Park Booking Office for £16 - needed a coupe of windows re-attached but it was all in there in the box, a cracking bargain. 

• RMweb Premium

Had a look through everything yesterday in Brum and not really impressed. I wanted to get hold of a Hornby pullman, they only had the Brighton Belle ones.

Try Model Railways Direct they have some cheap Pullmans in the sale:

http://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/Rolling-Stock-Passenger/Pullman-Coaches/

Keith

Whilst in Norwich, yesterday, I popped in...and there was very little left on the railway side: Humbrol and Evergreen, et al, were all 50% off, so I bought some bits and pieces. No Bachmann left, but a great stack of Hornby, all at RRP. I was informed by a very cheerful lady that Hornby was a concession and after the shop closure, it will all be shipped back to the manufacturer. Pity, really, as there was a 42XX that tempted me, but not at full RRP. Shop closure date: before August 26th.

Clearly one of their problems on the railway side has been price against the other outlets available. They had one when I was at Trafford Centre but not the exact model I was looking for. Checking other outlets I could get it delivered at about 10% less than the Modelzone discounted price.

Both Modelzone's prices have been going up and down light a bride's nightie for the last 18 months.

• RMweb Premium

I visited the Plymouth branch when I was on break today and bought a few brushes and a few paints, the chaps in there said that they are closing at the end of August.

Lots of Hornby at full price a few Bachmann loco's at 20%.

SS

It is common practice, I understand, to move the remaining stock from a branch that has closed to a nearby branch which is still trading.  The moral here is, even if you can't find anything in your branch that you want / need this week, go back next week and see if anything else has turned up.

It is common practice, I understand, to move the remaining stock from a branch that has closed to a nearby branch which is still trading.  The moral here is, even if you can't find anything in your branch that you want / need this week, go back next week and see if anything else has turned up.

Hi I have been to the Birmingham store today and they was re-stocking the shelves with stock from Peterborough store. So you bang on the mark with what you are saying. Still loads of Bachmann at 20% off and Hornby full price.

• RMweb Premium

Hi I have been to the Birmingham store today and they was re-stocking the shelves with stock from Peterborough store. So you bang on the mark with what you are saying. Still loads of Bachmann at 20% off and Hornby full price.

The Birmingham store is the biggest so maybe that's why stock would be sent there.

Keith

Once the Hornby stock has been reclaimed from Modelzone I would suspect that it would have to be disposed somewhere, and possibly quickly. I am expecting some Hornby bargains through some channel somewhere over the next few months.

That my be true of some lines, but there are a few Hornby items lurking in the odd Modelzone store that are not so easily available (a friend of mine has spotted the Push-Pull set and the SR 2-BIL amongst others in at least one store) and I suspect that the handful of such items that make it back to Margate will be sold at full price. 

The Birmingham store is the biggest so maybe that's why stock would be sent there. Keith

The staff in the Birmingham store told me they will be one of the last to close and they think that they may have about three weeks left before it will close.

• RMweb Gold

That my be true of some lines, but there are a few Hornby items lurking in the odd Modelzone store that are not so easily available (a friend of mine has spotted the Push-Pull set and the SR 2-BIL amongst others in at least one store) and I suspect that the handful of such items that make it back to Margate will be sold at full price. 

The SR 2BIL R3161 is still readily obtainable at a slight reduction on RRP (Kernow list it on their website)

The Birmingham store is the biggest so maybe that's why stock would be sent there.

Keith

No, the stores which sell out their stock to a level for which it is uneconomic to retain staff, are the ones which go first.  The better salesmen hasten their own demise. :(

Archived