ModelZone seeking Administration

Ravenser

I went into the Norwich branch today, a Monday non lunch hour, I normally have a look on a Saturday, but it's the busiest I've ever seen it. NO Bachman stock only Hornby ( no one buying that!), came away with several  Matildas for my military train.

The Q

I was going to pop in this week to see what was on offer but looks like you've saved me the bother!

What very likely given the circumstances will be my final order from TSB (which I placed on Monday 8 July) arrived here in California today and at least it was something special!  The Farish Class 08 and Class 24 Modelzone RTC livery Special Editions which I had wanted for quite some time but kept putting off and off - and off!  Was very happy to have my hand forced given I was surprised to find the 08 was discounted approx 30% (to £58) and the 24 discounted 40% (to £63).

I will greatly miss TSB.  Excellent service over the phone from Oliver and fast shipping overseas - not to mention the special editions.

Matt

post-4367-0-42319500-1373954210_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Is Modelzone in Brighton still open?

Are there any other local model shops worth a visit while I am on holiday down here?

Eltel

• RMweb Premium

For model railways I'd support the recommendation of Gaugemaster any day.  A much better selection than MZ (indeed one of the best you'll find anywhere) since they are a model railway shop rather than a general retailer.  Adjacent to Ford station as per the post above so very easy to get to; if you drive take the A27 west from Brighton and turn south off the Arundel by-pass unless you wish to spend forever creeping along the unattractive coastal roads but I prefer the train ride.

• RMweb Gold

Gaugemaster does have good stocks of just about everything. It is generally full price for everything but occasionally there are good bargains. I picked up a Kato ex display F40PHi in Amtrak livery for just £35. - no box or detail pack but I can get round that.

Good car park round the back but the roads do get very clogged up at this time of year and the level crossing just adds to that but the station couldn't really be any closer. Its my 'local' model shop despite living up in North east Surrey!!

• RMweb Premium

Adding to the above Gaugamaster (trading as Engine Shed at Ford) are also stockists of a huge range of bits you often can't get over the counter very readily such as lighting, people and European brand scenics.  

• RMweb Premium

I can recommend Gaugemaster, about an hour's drive from Brighton - http://gaugemaster.com/ or Ford station is right next to the shop, with some direct or one-change services from Brighton.

As I am in my motorhome near the Brighton Marina a short rail trip to Gaugemaster by train seems a possibility

Thanks

Eltel

I went into the Norwich branch today, a Monday non lunch hour, I normally have a look on a Saturday, but it's the busiest I've ever seen it. NO Bachman stock only Hornby ( no one buying that!), came away with several  Matildas for my military train.

The Q

I had to go into Cambridge yesterday afternoon and went along to Modelzone to see what was on offer. Apart from 3 Bachmann Diesel locos, everything else was Hornby which had no discount. I did come away with some background scenes but for the most part, all they had were Airfix and Revell Model Kits.

• RMweb Premium

One advantage for me from this is that Invicta are inside the London zones (zone 5 to be precise) so I can get to them using my oyster card for a fair amount less than it used to cost to get to TSB in Rochester... :)

What is the prefered route to get there?

Is it from London Bridge?

Next time I'm up the smoke with a zone1-6 travelcard I might give them a visit.

As I will probably be visiting Borough Market as well  it would be very convenient!

Cheers

Keith

If only Sidcup were as accessible by rail from S E Kent- when I checked times, most were near enough two hours, with suggestions such as going to Ebbsfleet International and changing, or going to London Bridge and coming back out again.

Regarding Amerang, I suspect Ayrey's might pick up quite a bit of their business.

• RMweb Premium

So,what does happen to the residue of Bachmann stock remaining at store closure.....especially the MZ limited editions ?

Going by other chain store closures It'll gradually be concentrated down to a couple of stores and the remainder sold off to a trade buyer with the highest bid.

The Q

• RMweb Premium

What is the prefered route to get there?

Is it from London Bridge?

Next time I'm up the smoke with a zone1-6 travelcard I might give them a visit.

As I will probably be visiting Borough Market as well  it would be very convenient!

Cheers

Keith

Depends on where you're coming from . For me, living in Stratford, it's a case of DLR to Lewisham, then Nat Rail to Sidcup as that means I miss the expensive Zone 1. I believe the Charing Cross/Cannon Street/London Bridge terminii are the best ones if coming into London from outside.

• RMweb Premium

London Bridge, Charing Cross, Waterloo East or Cannon Street to Sidcup.  Direct or with one change if required.

. I believe the Charing Cross/Cannon Street/London Bridge terminii are the best ones if coming into London from outside.

Looks like a visit next time I'm in London

Cheers

Keith

• RMweb Gold

So,what does happen to the residue of Bachmann stock remaining at store closure.....especially the MZ limited editions ?

When our local shop closed - and I only wish he'd told me a week or so previously - his entire stock was purchased by a private company based, so I heard, somewhere in the vicinity of Windsor and they simply paid the liquidators however much it was and then went in and spent the best part of a week de-stocking the premises.  That included all of his limited model railway stock and I would happily have taken most of that off his hands at a sensible discount and got rid of the surplus through here.  Presumably the scavengers simply sold it on for whatever they could make out of it?

When our local shop closed - and I only wish he'd told me a week or so previously - his entire stock was purchased by a private company based, so I heard, somewhere in the vicinity of Windsor and they simply paid the liquidators however much it was and then went in and spent the best part of a week de-stocking the premises.  That included all of his limited model railway stock and I would happily have taken most of that off his hands at a sensible discount and got rid of the surplus through here.  Presumably the scavengers simply sold it on for whatever they could make out of it?

It might go on to public auction, private or trade sales, or even E-Bay: most local/regional papers will carry adverts for auctions selling all sorts of things either seized during liquidations or taken by HMR&C in lieu of money to settle VAT/PAYE bills.

Just spoken to SignalBox. They are not officially closing down, and remain in Administration. So potentially all is not lost with them.

I called in in person this afternoon. They were just selling stuff off at a discount and gave the impression that the shop would be closing at some point in the future but they didn't know when. I shall miss going there to buy things as I prefer to purchase face-to-face rather than online. I got a Farish Class 46 for under £25.

• RMweb Premium

Just spoken to SignalBox. They are not officially closing down, and remain in Administration. So potentially all is not lost with them.

Isn't that the case with all of MZ?

Until a closure date is announced by the Administrators all branches are trading in the hope of an offer for all or part of the business. So far none has been received.

See here:

http://www.creditman.biz/uk/members/news-view.asp?newsviewID=18336

Or straight from the horse's mouth:

http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_GB/uk/news/news-releases/747b5f14df2df310VgnVCM2000003356f70aRCRD.htm

Keith

• RMweb Gold

So,what does happen to the residue of Bachmann stock remaining at store closure.....

When one of the biggish internet sites closed a model shop near to me purchased their stock.

Significant mark up on prices, especially the US stuff.

I do mean significant.

Greedy s*ds. 

Archived