Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Has Lord Lucan recently dropped his friend's car off?

Ha! I've just twigged about the Corsair in the Mews..!

Been perusing '60s TVR stuff this afternoon, what lovely little things they are, I know there were a few different models in the period but no two examples ever appear to be exactly alike, which just gives them even more character...

post-7638-0-61108700-1476903295.jpg

post-7638-0-22607200-1476903447.jpg

post-7638-0-60605900-1476903533.jpg

post-7638-0-69206900-1476903606.jpg

post-7638-0-15456200-1476903650_thumb.jpg

Anyone here ever owned or driven on...?

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 4

Thought I'd post some photos of my old Land Rovers. First up is my very first Land Rover and indeed my very first car after passing my driving test:-

Series 3 LWB 2.6 straight 6 1 tonne (not to be confused with the forward control 1 tonne) Bought this off a friend of my sisters husband. The friend used it for towing their horsebox around. He just removed the bullbars and the Atkinson badge off the front as he needed that for the restoration of his own Atkinson lorry (Borderer I think) One advantage of this motor were the windows in the back...as that made it a car and not a van so you didn't get charged van rates on the toll bridges and tunnels. Sadly it failed its MOT, needing about £1000 worth of welding work done to chassis so had to go...I think it's been completely scrapped now. I used to sleep in the back of it going around the countryside being an extra pair of hands on small farms and small holdings.

At risk of showing my anorak... I don't think that's a 1-ton (civvy bonneted control was termed 1 ton, whereas the military 101 FC was the 1 tonne). Should have 900x16 tyres on wide wheels, drop shackle suspension with heavy duty leaf springs, and either Sailsbury or ENV axles (or more likely a combination thereof) along with the lower ratio gearbox out of the civvy FC. They were only available with the 2.6cyl, but that was also available on the standard 109" (Sailsbury rear axle was an option and later standard too). 

Like these (although the red one had lost the oversize wheels and tyres by the time we got it). The green one was the first car I had on the road- had to sell it when I went to uni but it was a fantastic couple of years with it- nothing I've had since quite compares, first love and all that!

Dougalandflo05.jpg

You can see the extended front spring mounts in that one. Green one was bought and further modified (it already had a Nissan patrol engine and gearbox) by a very enthusiastic bloke known as Stig who has driven it all over Europe. Currently mid rebuild onto a new chassis. Red one is still in bits as far as I'm aware- I helped rescue it from a Welsh scrapyard but gave up my share in it years ago.

Might have posted some of these here before but we'll go again... This is my actual first Land Rover, sold just before I passed my test. This one is still with the lad I sold it to but has been rechassised since after it was written off by someone struggling with the concept of "give way to the right" on roundabouts.

USL335pic014.jpg

Caught up with it again a few years later:

092907130121.jpg

Had a brief fling with this one at uni, but realised I really couldn't run a 2.25p on a student loan. Had a good summer with it though! The girlie lasted a bit longer, 8 years and counting... not sure what became of the Land Rover, it's SORN and has only been MOTd once after I sold it.

P1000699.jpg

P1000715.jpg

Bought this one later, when I had a job. 2.25d, overdrive, galvanised chassis. Brilliant little thing that I should have kept- sold it when I fancied a change and was old enough to insure something a bit sillier. Just before prices skyrocketed- ahh well. Was much better than it looks- probably still is, lost touch but it's still on the road.

IMG_0140.jpg

The interesting (and topical) one here is the one on the trailer... (and yours truly in the daft hat)

Sarahrailrover.jpg

This is the current daily driver and it's a keeper- never welded underneath, it's really quite straight and very unmessed with. Standard 1986 military spec except for retro fitted power steering and comfy seats, still with the 2.5d so it's comically slow, especially when hills are involved. It, me and the folding camper are all within a few years of each other. The Landy is ageing better than the other two- if you thought 80's British cars were poorly built, don't buy an 80's Conway... Laura hiding in this one too, she's quite fond of Land Rovers as well. Hasn't had much choice but to be!

110camper.jpg

Apologies to the non Landy enthusiasts for this gratuitous trip into my vehicular past!

Edited by brianthesnail96
  • Like 8

At risk of showing my anorak... I don't think that's a 1-ton (civvy bonneted control was termed 1 ton, whereas the military 101 FC was the 1 tonne). Should have 900x16 tyres on wide wheels, drop shackle suspension with heavy duty leaf springs, and either Sailsbury or ENV axles (or more likely a combination thereof) along with the lower ratio gearbox out of the civvy FC. They were only available with the 2.6cyl, but that was also available on the standard 109" (Sailsbury rear axle was an option and later standard too). 

Nothing wrong in showing your anorak. From the various articles I had read in LRO & LRM over the past years as I understood it that bonneted series 3 with the 2.6 were termed 1 ton but I may well have misunderstood or been misinformed....I don't mind being wrong...I only learned the other day, watching Shed & Buried, that there were 33 series 1 or 2's built with a Rolls Royce engine. It was a 20 odd years ago since I owned it and it will now be fizzy drinks cans and razor blades. I just like Land Rover products...well except for the most recent products and from what I've seen of the proposed new Defender, all a bit too much lifestyleee vehicle for me...and no doubt with a lifestyleee price tag. Just left the utility sector to the Japanese pick ups.

Anyway love the Land Rover collection...think I may have seen some of them before on one of the Landy forums??? One of these days I'll get back into the Series or Defender habit...already have my dream series on the wish list drawing board.

• Like 2

I just like Land Rover products...well except for the most recent products and from what I've seen of the proposed new Defender, all a bit too much lifestyleee vehicle for me...

Yes.

I'd love a Landy - and some kind of justification for it - but it'd have to be a Defender without metallic paint, shiny trinkets, or alloy wheels.  Just proper workmanlike spec.  I've been admiring the various examples recently posted both the restored ones and the more down at heel.  Something honest and desirable about the latter.

But until I get myself a scruffy collie and take up shepherding I'm sticking to hatches and saloons, munching the miles on tarmac instead.

• Like 3

Yes.

I'd love a Landy - and some kind of justification for it - but it'd have to be a Defender without metallic paint, shiny trinkets, or alloy wheels.  Just proper workmanlike spec.  I've been admiring the various examples recently posted both the restored ones and the more down at heel.  Something honest and desirable about the latter.

But until I get myself a scruffy collie and take up shepherding I'm sticking to hatches and saloons, munching the miles on tarmac instead.

Oh they are great fun and I don't mind the pumped up Defenders that have come along recently...especially when James bomb takes them out with an aircraft. But yes if you do motorway miles in them be prepared to be very tired at the end of the journey!!! and get one with a radio...I had to end up singing and talking to myself to keep me entertained. But buy your Defender now as they are just going up in price and you may start paying 5 figures for a barn find!!!

I'd turn my eyes on the series 3 as they are still quite cheap...you just have to remember no power steering...so get down the gym and build up the biceps

• Like 3

Nothing wrong in showing your anorak. From the various articles I had read in LRO & LRM over the past years as I understood it that bonneted series 3 with the 2.6 were termed 1 ton but I may well have misunderstood or been misinformed....I don't mind being wrong...I only learned the other day, watching Shed & Buried, that there were 33 series 1 or 2's built with a Rolls Royce engine. It was a 20 odd years ago since I owned it and it will now be fizzy drinks cans and razor blades. I just like Land Rover products...well except for the most recent products and from what I've seen of the proposed new Defender, all a bit too much lifestyleee vehicle for me...and no doubt with a lifestyleee price tag. Just left the utility sector to the Japanese pick ups.

Anyway love the Land Rover collection...think I may have seen some of them before on one of the Landy forums??? One of these days I'll get back into the Series or Defender habit...already have my dream series on the wish list drawing board.

All 1-tons were 6cyl (officially anyway!) but not all 6cyl Land Rovers are 1-tons :) There were only 170 2a and 300 and something series 3 built, for the home market at least. I only really found out about them after buying mine, although I did know what it was at the time (it's chassis #146). Remembered there's a website for them- http://www.onetonlandrover.co.uk which is run by one of guys I bought the red one with.

MFO was owned by the bloke who used to run the OLLR forum- he's on here as well, I bought one of his layouts too! It was therefore fairly well known in Series LR circles at the time. The chap that owns the 1-ton (which is much better known as Dougal) also posts on several forums. 

This is another interesting one- it belongs to a friend's Uncle and has been out of it's shed once in the last 15 years or so- when I took these photos. We took it to one steam rally about 10 years ago, parked it back up and there it's stayed. Despite this Oxford Diecast have seen fit to make a 00 model of it! I posted a couple of these pics on a Land Rover forum at the time and I can only assume they found them and decided to model it, as I've not managed to find any other pictures of it. Was something of a surprise to find it in miniature when browsing the models in the gift shop at the British Motor Museum the other week.

109twtrk1.jpg

109twtrk3.jpg

I like to give that one an airing every now and again NHN- one of my favourites :)

Edited by brianthesnail96
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

In short, the Americans got the cars that were presumably better built and not so subject to industrial action.

Or just because they were built as LHD .

Emissions were the main reason for the Cologne built Capris being sold in the US, the Essex engine could not be made to comply with the American emission standards. This is also why the Pinto engine was used but not because the (German) V4 engines could be made to the required standards but the neccessary extra equipment would have robbed the power of the engines too much.

All 1-tons were 6cyl (officially anyway!) but not all 6cyl Land Rovers are 1-tons :)

OOOOO don't say things like that...it makes my brain spin and I have to sit in a dark corner and whimper for a bit!!! and I have enough headaches trying to sort out the disasters going on at work.

I'll browse that website at a later date...many thanks for that. I do still browse Ebay and the series 3's on there, and when I was looking a few months back just before I bought the Discovery there were 2 or 3 6cyl Srs 3's for sale and all runners and road legal and all not to far from where I live so not too long a distance to go in a car that I've only just bought and don't know if there are any big mechanical problems. While very very tempting I kept my sensible head on and stuck with getting a Discovery :imsohappy: ......A 3.9 V8 Discovery :crazy:

There is a farm near where I work that I do deliveries to, that has a Series 2 (I think) sitting in a shed, body work looks in very good condition...I don't know what's under the bonnet, I presume 4 pot diesel. If I had a few thousand burning a hole in my pocket I'd make the farmer an offer. But I don't even have 10 quid burning a hole...£6.80 that has to last me until payday!!! So I'll have to stick with my dream Series 3....109" with 4 door cab and a pick up rear end....sitting on a coil spring converted chassis with a moderate lift, a couple of inches...Ford Cologne 2.9 Cosworth V6 with custom vertical exhausts (although I do quite also fancy a cummins straight 6) In black.....Oh for dreams!!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

OOOOO don't say things like that...it makes my brain spin and I have to sit in a dark corner and whimper for a bit!!! and I have enough headaches trying to sort out the disasters going on at work.

I'll browse that website at a later date...many thanks for that. I do still browse Ebay and the series 3's on there, and when I was looking a few months back just before I bought the Discovery there were 2 or 3 6cyl Srs 3's for sale and all runners and road legal and all not to far from where I live so not too long a distance to go in a car that I've only just bought and don't know if there are any big mechanical problems. While very very tempting I kept my sensible head on and stuck with getting a Discovery :imsohappy: ......A 3.9 V8 Discovery :crazy:

There is a farm near where I work that I do deliveries to, that has a Series 2 (I think) sitting in a shed, body work looks in very good condition...I don't know what's under the bonnet, I presume 4 pot diesel. If I had a few thousand burning a hole in my pocket I'd make the farmer an offer. But I don't even have 10 quid burning a hole...£6.80 that has to last me until payday!!! So I'll have to stick with my dream Series 3....109" with 4 door cab and a pick up rear end....sitting on a coil spring converted chassis with a moderate lift, a couple of inches...Ford Cologne 2.9 Cosworth V6 with custom vertical exhausts (although I do quite also fancy a cummins straight 6) In black.....Oh for dreams!!!

There is at least one Land Rover fitted with a Commer TS3 engine, I'd love to hear that in full chat.

• RMweb Premium

Yes.

There are a few I would like.

Early 2007 110 pre Trannie

V8 HCPU

101 FC

109 2.6

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is at least one Land Rover fitted with a Commer TS3 engine, I'd love to hear that in full chat.

I quite fancy a FC either IIa or 101 fitted with a TD5!

• RMweb Gold

All 1-tons were 6cyl (officially anyway!) but not all 6cyl Land Rovers are 1-tons :) There were only 170 2a and 300 and something series 3 built, for the home market at least. I only really found out about them after buying mine, although I did know what it was at the time (it's chassis #146). Remembered there's a website for them- http://www.onetonlandrover.co.uk which is run by one of guys I bought the red one with.

MFO was owned by the bloke who used to run the OLLR forum- he's on here as well, I bought one of his layouts too! It was therefore fairly well known in Series LR circles at the time. The chap that owns the 1-ton (which is much better known as Dougal) also posts on several forums. 

This is another interesting one- it belongs to a friend's Uncle and has been out of it's shed once in the last 15 years or so- when I took these photos. We took it to one steam rally about 10 years ago, parked it back up and there it's stayed. Despite this Oxford Diecast have seen fit to make a 00 model of it! I posted a couple of these pics on a Land Rover forum at the time and I can only assume they found them and decided to model it, as I've not managed to find any other pictures of it. Was something of a surprise to find it in miniature when browsing the models in the gift shop at the British Motor Museum the other week.

109twtrk1.jpg

109twtrk3.jpg

I like to give that one an airing every now and again NHN- one of my favourites :)

"You're only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off !!"

• Like 2

109twtrk1.jpg

109twtrk3.jpg

In case you feel you can not have too many recovery series 3's there is another for sale on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1968-Landrover-Series-IIa-2a-LWB-109-Barn-find-Project-Restoration-/322277134008?hash=item4b0936ceb8:g:P5EAAOSwOyJX3uUW

Also that early 2 door Discovery 1 is still available so I think grab yourself a bargain classic that I understand is only going up in price

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Discovery-Series-1-200tdi-3dr-1-driver-from-new-136k-MOTd-until-Jan-/262646626275?hash=item3d26f577e3:g:EOIAAOSwCGVX63Tn

• Like 1

Detail of a 1930 or thereabouts Alvis:

22077695352_a4623789db_c.jpg

I thought I had also taken a photo of the whole car, but it seems I didn't, so we'll just have to guess what it was like.  Speaking of Alvises (or should that be Alvii?) I did take a photo of one type of Alvis that you don't see very often:

18658448858_2ee2440663_c.jpg

• Like 5

In case you feel you can not have too many recovery series 3's there is another for sale on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1968-Landrover-Series-IIa-2a-LWB-109-Barn-find-Project-Restoration-/322277134008?hash=item4b0936ceb8:g:P5EAAOSwOyJX3uUW

Also that early 2 door Discovery 1 is still available so I think grab yourself a bargain classic that I understand is only going up in price

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Discovery-Series-1-200tdi-3dr-1-driver-from-new-136k-MOTd-until-Jan-/262646626275?hash=item3d26f577e3:g:EOIAAOSwCGVX63Tn

Now that is nice. Once I have recovered from my series 3 rebuild I would love to do a recreation of the Italian job 2a....

• Like 1

Indeed it does, and a quick Google confirms that the Standard Flying 12 dates from a very similar time to that of the Beetle's inception, being built from 1935-39. Standard, at least, left the car where it belonged, in the 1930s, unlike Volkswagen, who insisted on inflicting the Beetle on the world for many decades afterwards...

Stone me, it's Hartley Hare...!

One of the joys of perusing autojumbles is trying to identify the different mascots for sale, most of which I haven't got a clue about!

Is that a hare? It looks like a duck with a Boxer dog head and hare's ears to me :)

• RMweb Gold

Stone me, it's Hartley Hare...!

One of the joys of perusing autojumbles is trying to identify the different mascots for sale, most of which I haven't got a clue about!

I remember the Alvis hare. When we lived on Mendip, back in the late 50s, our GP had an old Avis with a dickey seat and the original FB1 number plate.

• Like 2