The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

20 minutes ago, big jim said:

I was thinking Toyota previa? 

The two roof windows do look like a Toyota. The one I have just put in the picture above (Edit. Last page) has two sunroofs just like that. A smaller one above the drivers area and a big electric one in the back. 

Edited by Mountain Goat
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mountain Goat said:

The two roof windows do look like a Toyota. The one I have just put in the picture above (Edit. Last page) has two sunroofs just like that. A smaller one above the drivers area and a big electric one in the back. 

Look at the post before your first one. Shows a film which says what it is. :) 

Edited by sandwich station
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Mountain Goat said:

You mention Previa. I happen to have an Estima which is rather rare. It has 4WD and a 2.2 diesel engine and it shifts. But what is rare about it (Apart from the extras like factory fitted radar etc. Rare for a 25+ year old vehicle) is it has a manual 5 speed gearbox and no one seems to have heard of a manual version of these Japanese imported vehicles. 

I am not sure what to do with it. My brother owned it and used it until about just over a year ago when he bought an old Shogun as it was more sutable for his back as his spine is crumbling. The Toyota does need a bit of money spending on it as it has a few things needing to be sorted out for its next MOT. (It has been off the road now for over a year). I bought it off him as he was going to scrap it, and it looks far too good for that, but no one seems to want it.  Due to lack of space it now sits outside and it is looking sorry for itself. 

IMG_20190309_162745_683.JPG

The AWD Diesel has always been available (first model) in the Eurasia market with a five speed manual box, not exactly a “shifter” though......I am sure it is just about 100 BHP as standard, memory misty though as a long time since I have been in Japan.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Actually its more like the Bond 875.

49979714378_ef1b9de4e8_c.jpg20160307192607_01 by Phil Traxson, on Flickr

This is a Bond 875, though this is a Mk 2, the Mk 1 did indeed have a similar style front body moulding to the car in your photo but from the windscreen line back both models were the same. For some reason I never had a photo of my Mk 1 although I owned it for longer and did many more miles in it. The photo was taken on 15th February 1973 the little girl on the bonnet is now 49 years old!

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Like 11

8 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Ive passed theses cars umpteen times but only just photographed them. Cant  remember how long the’ve been there.They’ve in a the yard of a village car repair shop.

06DDA5CD-AEEE-45A5-BC39-66A1E41347FD.jpeg.dd077c93e59d90d97f0dbe6b010831cd.jpeg

If that’s a real Droopsnoot then owner needs to protect their investment!

steve

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

9 minutes ago, steve1 said:

steve

Is the one under the cover the droopsnoot? It looks like its been raced. It got an advert on it for the garage and a towing bracket.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

Ive passed theses cars umpteen times but only just photographed them. Cant  remember how long the’ve been there.They’ve in a the yard of a village car repair shop.

06DDA5CD-AEEE-45A5-BC39-66A1E41347FD.jpeg.dd077c93e59d90d97f0dbe6b010831cd.jpeg

Has anyone been to check if the owner is just Isolating........   or maybe...??

Julian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, steve1 said:

steve

I know a village in Wales where there is a Renault GTA which has just been parked in the street and abandoned for at least 20 years......

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

'Cars you never knew existed : part 423'..... the 1959 FIAT based OSCA 1600 styled by Michelotti....

OSCA 1600 1959 Michelotti FIAT plan.jpg

Lancia shrunk it and called it a Fulvia!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, steve1 said:

Yes it is.

Incidentally, the Calibra and the Mini look they might be salvageable too.

steve

The mini only failed it’s MoT in 2018 for wheel bearing and worn hub joints......not the tin worm....soooo

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

The mini only failed it’s MoT in 2018 for wheel bearing and worn hub joints......not the tin worm....soooo

On my walk today i took another pic of the Droopsnoot.  The Vauxhalls have been parked up for many years, obviously the mini is a new addition.   81552E16-15BB-4AD6-B385-D3AB4FD5A043.jpeg.841aa42fa0c874791c8427c8120cf407.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Did you know that the rear diff in a Calibra 4x4 is a proper one with enough strength to run a RWD conversion?

They were same part as fitted to Omegas.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, MJI said:

Did you know that the rear diff in a Calibra 4x4 is a proper one with enough strength to run a RWD conversion?

They were same part as fitted to Omegas.

Doesn't that Vauxhall system have an electromagnetic clutch for the rear difficult that caused problems when new. Is the Cavalier the same diff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, russ p said:

Doesn't that Vauxhall system have an electromagnetic clutch for the rear difficult that caused problems when new. Is the Cavalier the same diff

I think the diff itself is a just a simple ordinary one, no LSD.

Same with Cavalier, parts bin engineering.

Not sure how gearbox was connected to it though.

I just read they used the Omega axle, suspension and diff.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, MJI said:

I think the diff itself is a just a simple ordinary one, no LSD.

Same with Cavalier, parts bin engineering.

Not sure how gearbox was connected to it though.

I just read they used the Omega axle, suspension and diff.

I don't think they are connected to the gearbox as a true 4x4 system think its something like the VAG haldex system where the rear wheels only drive when required unlike the proper quattro system where it was a permanent drive.

Wonder if anyone has made any true RWD conversations with these cars and inline engines 

• Like 1