Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling Pet Hates

One of my pet hates is when there is a layout where the rolling stock is in perfect scale/period/company but any old road vehicle seems to do whether or not it is the correct scale/period/company. With companies such as Oxford now producing excellent models at a reasonable price there is really no excuse.

Not so in 7mm I'm afraid. I have recently paid +£50.00 for a limited edition lorry to grace my coal yard, can't get busses, lorries, unless you model in the pre Nationalisation era. So, even though my stock is perfect scale/period and company (BR) I have to resort to 1:50 scale commercial vehicles lurking at the back of the layout, and pretend I am perspective modelling!!

• RMweb Premium

I also have a problem with weathering, which I am happy to see on buildings and scenery, less so on trains, which were painted at vast expense by their original owners, and however "realistic" the weathering, it just looks dreary by comparison. The worst feature of all, which is just plain wrong, is the filthy windscreen. No driver ever sets off with a dirty windscreen, because if he can't see where he is, he may be the first casualty if he runs by a signal.

My last weathering involved the chasis only, bodies were normally clean, roofs being grey, difficult to tell.

Chassis. grubby

Guest CLARENCE

Wiring up the layout

kev

And trying, unsuccessfully, to remember, a year later, where all the multicoloured wires started and ended!

David.

My other pet hate is poor shunting, i.e not stopping when running up to a  single wagon but just ploughing on as if was never there . If you run into a real wagon at a 20mph then that wagon will shoot off down  the track like a scalded cat or leap into the air and probably derail. . It spoils the illusion for me

Please buffer up gently

Andy

Agree absolutely - and can I also mention the common sight of loco and wagon(s) being pushed and pulled back and forth half a dozen times in rapid succession. This is something associated with model 'automatic' couplings, usually at exhibitions and looks awfully unrealistic - the much derided 'hand of God' is as nothing by comparison. Please, if you can't get your automatic couplings to work properly, either fix them so they do or avoid shunting movements. Real engines never, ever, ever did this sort of thing. Not least because (certainly on a steam engine) changing direction is not something you can do several times in a minute.

• 4 weeks later...

It was ever so, unless our steam era railways really did transport more large gear wheels, cable drums, and ship's propellors than anything else. A study of what the weekly loadings of a typical goods yard really were would be instructive to many modellers. Most people though would probably rather buy four different wagons than four of the same type. 

On that note, does anyone know why RTR companies don't supply wagons un-numbered and a sheet of transfers so you can buy 10, say, and number them up yourself instead of having to remove a number and then source a replacement and apply it. Add 50p on the RRP to cover the cost of the transfers and most people would pay that without too many complaints.

current pet hate is modeling magazines doing an inspiration plan, such as a motive power depot and how to build it in 6 easy steps with the track entirely as Hornby parts and written as though no one would ever contemplate doing it in anything but 00.

And it's not Hornby magazine that do it! (I could forgive Hornby mag for doing it as they aim to that readership)

current pet hate is modeling magazines doing an inspiration plan, such as a motive power depot and how to build it in 6 easy steps with the track entirely as Hornby parts and written as though no one would ever contemplate doing it in anything but 00.

And it's not Hornby magazine that do it! (I could forgive Hornby mag for doing it as they aim to that readership)

There are other scales?

My pet hate is so-called experts who use real railway terms all the time, although often getting them wrong - one tried to argue the point with my Father, a Railway Civil Engineer of forty years standing, and then also get their advice wrong as well.  I have seen someone berated for having the wrong sized lettering on a kit, only to try and bluff out of it when shown a picture of the real locomotive, and was once myself told that a soil colour I was using didn't happen in real life as it was too red, plainly by someone who had never bee to Devon.

Some of these experts are also very shy about showing their own work.  I saw a couple of cases where work was discovered and found not to be quite to the standards the critics had been espousing, only for the critics to say that it was just work in progress, because of bad lighting etc...

Blast.  My city walls made a good scenic break, I thought.  Can I have some credit for them being by the mainline, though?

Actually I like your idea of medieval city walls, it shows a bit of ingenuity. Although a few crenelations and arrow slits along the top wouldn't go a miss :-)

• RMweb Gold

Three words sum up mine: Ship, Ha'porth and Tar.

I remember seeing a very nice layout at an exhibition several years ago, set in the early to mid-1950s. I have long forgotten ALMOST everything about it but this one had something that put it in a class of its own and really got my goat.

The layout was modelled to a good, uniform standard and well operated. In common with many others, its goods yard featured a grounded van body gleaned from the builder's scrap box. 

Unfortunately, this one had a Hornby Vanwide, as introduced by BR from 1962 and still carrying the 1970s markings it left Margate with.

AAARRGGH !!!!  

Poison green 'trees' and shubbery. They just ain't that colour.

Sea water on UK layouts that is Mediterranean blue. If you actually look at the colour of the sea around our coasts, especially in Scotland, it is usually either (very) dark green or grey.

steve

• RMweb Premium

Families at show trade stands mum dad and two kids spread themselves out in front of stand not letting any one else in while they take ages to make up there mind what to get

happened to me twice today at TINGS

Sea water on UK layouts that is Mediterranean blue. If you actually look at the colour of the sea around our coasts, especially in Scotland, it is usually either (very) dark green or grey.

You haven't been to Dorset then !!!!

Especially in the area covered by this article;-

http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/9931241.Reefs_off_Dorset_coast_set_to_become_protected_habitats/

:sungum:

steve

That's another I'm guilty of...

Having said which, road vehicles are more likely to be kept clean by their owners, especially private cars.

I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to cleaning my little wagon at work, but even though I put it through a washing plant on a daily basis, there are still areas that the washing misses, mainly the parts of the doors just by the wheel-arches, and the bottom quarter of the back doors. One thing I do though is rinse off the windows, and wipe the water off, so my wind-screen doesn't have the wiper tracks!

Archived