RMweb

Show us your scratchbuilt building

Hi iD,

Thank you, I've done everything from the drawing to the laser cutting. One of the drawings for part of the wall section is below.

Cheers

Tim

attachicon.gifBromley North Shunters Bothy with extra door v2 pic TJH01 Copyright Tim Horn copy.jpg

Many thanks Tim. Very useful

A question though, how do you differentiate between the lines that just need to be etched (e.g. the mortar courses) and those which need to be cut through entirely (e.g. door openings)?

iD

• Like 1

Many thanks Tim. Very useful

A question though, how do you differentiate between the lines that just need to be etched (e.g. the mortar courses) and those which need to be cut through entirely (e.g. door openings)?

iD

You just choose another colour. The different colours will come up on the laser software and you just tell the software what you want to do with the colours. So black is half cut (mortar courses) and I choose yellow lines to cut through.

You have a couple of variables to play with, the speed of the cut and the power of the laser. It takes time to get the cut right, and lots of messing about until the mortar line looks good. Too much laser power will burn too wide, and too much speed will give you thicker lines at the beginning and end of the mortar line.

Below is a 7mm wall segment I've been playing with for a commission build.

Cheers

Tim

post-340-0-43951200-1389179883_thumb.jpg

post-340-0-72970200-1389179901_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Paul,

That's very interesting- what sort of 3D printing did he use? And how many components did he break it down into?

I'm currently getting reasonably good with solidworks (just been designing this, for what it's worth-)

29xc6q1.png

And whilst I will never pretend to have the patience or the skill to make something like that out of clay, old bits of tube, and whatever other rubbish I can find in the cupboard under the stairs, when it comes to designing it on the computer, I'm a perfectionist and will quite happily spend an hour making sure that a bolt is the right size and in the right place... even though it will just appear as a small dot when it's printed in 1/87 scale :)

• Like 1

I have finished the 3/4 terraced cottages for the awkward corner behind The Brunel Pub. It's OK as a place holder, but I really am not happy with it so will probably bin it when I have time to do something better (which probably won't be until I fit the whole structure to the final location and have the final, true, dimensions for this awkward corner).

Anyway, some pictures to amuse you...

post-123-0-49544000-1389286480.jpg  post-123-0-87521500-1389286491.jpg

Forgive the "holiday snap" photography

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 7

Indeed the gate looks really great. I guess it's in photoetched metal, right ?

Also really love the stone paved "street". Is it handcarved ? I use to handcarve my own cobblestone paved streets in Depron foam sheets (quite realistic when painted, and easy to create an uneven surface by rubbing and banging it a bit with an old used toothbrush...)

Eric.

Plastikard Metropolitan Railway structures (photos by David Lane)

post-21244-0-27648700-1389357179_thumb.jpg

Timber Met Signalbox.  A few of these still survive, at Chorleywood & Great Missenden, The Chesham box had to be built on a brick plinth because of the steep slope of White Hill opposite the station, it also had a sun blind, a feature not often seen.

post-21244-0-12091700-1389357211_thumb.jpg

A few wobbly lines on the painting here!  I would do this Allan's way now and fit the contrasting parts after painting them. Signal wires still need to be added as well.

post-21244-0-84222700-1389357304_thumb.jpg

The handpainted name board would definitely get done on a computer now, but that odd position in front of the door is where the Met put them at the shorter stations.

post-21244-0-60913300-1389357335_thumb.jpg

Bit of a gap underneath, and the lamps are a bit overscale,  these were all done quite some time ago now.

Anybody going to take up the 2014 diorama challenge? 

• Like 14

Hi PJBambrick,

I love the signal box, was it constructed from plasticard or card?

Not sure if you are aware that I started a Signal box portfolio thread on permanent way......etc in Structures thread for anyone who has built a signal box to contribute to create interest, no pressure :-).

cheers

Peter A L:. 

• Like 1

Indeed the gate looks really great. I guess it's in photoetched metal, right ?...

Actually, no. It's from a Faller kit for factory railings and gates. Although it's plastic and very fine the railing are fairly robust (except for the spears which break off easily).

iD

Hi Paul,

cheers,

saw Peter's bucks hill box at York, lovely model, I think Barry Norman was helping out that day too, I remember it well as I was delivering the Coaling tower to Robin Whittle ( Bristol barrow road ) who was placed just behind Bucks Hill, if memory serves me well, the box appeared in the MRJ too ;-)

cheers

Peter A Leyland

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi stubby,

very nice job on the building there, did you paint the brickwork, most effective?

Peter

Hi Peter,

No, I wish I could paint like that. It's Scalescene's Dark Brown Brick paper.

Stu

• Informative/Useful 1

Indeed the gate looks really great. I guess it's in photoetched metal, right ?

Also really love the stone paved "street". Is it handcarved ? I use to handcarve my own cobblestone paved streets in Depron foam sheets (quite realistic when painted, and easy to create an uneven surface by rubbing and banging it a bit with an old used toothbrush...)

Eric.

Sorry, forgot to answer your second question. The cobblestones are South Eastern Finecast embossed sheet (the SEF sheets are very nicely done, almost or at scale I'd say, but are thin so need a really good support [40thou minimum] if used to clad a building or other structure)

iD

Edited by iL Dottore

Goods Shed in (very dirty) stone

hand scribed stonework

individually cut and applied tiles

about 2 ½ months' work on and off

post-15693-0-03338100-1390229055.jpg

*edit* the odd little green wire in the doorway is the wiring for the office lamp  - just tucked in the doorway, but has a hole in the base where it should slip through...

Edited by freebs
  • Like 6