Show us your scratchbuilt building

Hi Peterkern

Thanks for the comments

It's actually 6mm static grass applied in the usual manner with one of those tea strainer type applicator, glued on a card base with PVA, combed flat after it has dried and sprayed with hairspray to keep it all in place.

Colin

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Aaaahhh I see. I was pondering a way to do this myself. I considered a fine haired shaving brush butchered and glued in tidy bundles/clumps the shaved with my beard trimmer.

Next project for me I think!

Great job anyway. Love the bricks coming through the old render, nice an old and dirty just the way I like it :0

Hi Peterkern.

I did use a beard trimmer to trim around the windows. 

I went around all the edges and over the windows first with the grasses and let that dry before filling in the main roof area. I just wasn't sure weather it was going to work not that much information around on how to do thatch roofs.

After looking at thatch roofs real ones that is, something struck me. More modern ones are not in lines like "brush strokes" all you see is the very end tip of the straw where as old ones (if your modelling 1930s let say) tend to be in streaks.

I tried sizzle string but its to wavy, looked like someone had given it a perm.

Colin     

pushpull33, on 13 Feb 2014 - 15:42, said:

Well, I am chuffed to bits.

To have a "crafstmanship/clever" from the man himself Allan Downs.

Thank you very much Allan

Colin

Well, what do you expect when you produce brilliant modelling like that?!

Cheers.

Allan.

Some excellent modelling on here what talent we have out there.

here from the old RMWeb archive, my Ash Plant in 4mm scale

strat091_zps2719c2e6.jpg

strat093_zps12ea9582.jpg

strat096_zpsdb47bd12.jpg

strat098_zps6c06122e.jpg

strat087_zpsb7f5e4c2.jpg

oops having trouble reducing the size of the photos, my appologies.

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

This is my take on Goathland cattle dock. (http://www.mylearning.org/goathland-as-a-contrasting-locality/images/4-1684/) Although not an exact copy, I built my version as a brick walled and rammed earth floor and timber fencing/gates. I liked the idea of the timber construction method, compared to most rail or steel framed cattle docks. Something a little different to the norm.

post-14327-0-28147200-1393711968.jpg

Cheers, Gary.

• Like 7

Sweven, on 05 Mar 2014 - 08:45, said:

A Midland weighbridge office in 4mm scale...

attachicon.gifRebuild9.jpg

Great model of a weighbridge and office, but the horse, cart and figures intrigue me. Painted really well and plenty of detail and character. Who is the manufacturer and did they come ready finished?

Thank you to everyone for your appreciation.

Hi Highlandman, thanks for that.

The dray is from the excellent Dart Castings range - I have built about 3 of these vehicles for the (eventual) layout. They come as a kit of parts with good instructions - a little fiddly to put together (I used superglue) and then a dusting of primer and some hand-painted Humbrol.

The people are from the really good Monty's Model range. A little expensive but I can't praise them enough, they have almost no flash and superb detail - some great figures. Again I gave them a dusting of primer and then hand painted with Humbrol (a job that always reminds me I need to go and get new glasses).

Here's another model for the same site that I am just finishing with my favourite figure.

post-20290-0-84447900-1394053712_thumb.jpg

Cheers John

• Like 11

I built this model of Millfield station in Sunderland 32 years ago :O  but never finished it and the various buildings now sit on my mantelpiece. It was an overtrack structure which was demolished after 20 years disuse in 1975 by which time it was heavily vandalised.

21762403.7fcb136e.640.jpg
Millfield Station  Model (2)  19.5.10 par PinzaC55, on ipernity

21762393.3e558a46.640.jpg
Millfield Station  Model (1)  19.5.10 par PinzaC55, on ipernity

17368155.87647d52.640.jpg
Millfield Station July 1975 par PinzaC55, on ipernity

• Like 17