RMweb

Show us your scratchbuilt building

Given the superb quality of other posts, I hesitate to present my first true scratchbuilt structure!

I have built numerous kits in all materials but this is my first effort and it is all made from coffee stirrers!

It represents a Southern Railway wooden coaling stage:

attachicon.gifSJP2O4B627702160425.jpg

It is not based on a particular prototype but I have several pictures of structures of this kind, and of all shapes & sizes; here it is in situ, before the surrounding area has been fully completed:

attachicon.gifSJP2O4B627402160425.jpg

Here it is in use, with SR / ex-SECR No.1124 approaching and about to be coaled.

attachicon.gifSJP2O4B879802160725.jpg

I still have a lot of work to do around the shed and yard (see my layout thread) but I was pleased to have finally built something "original".

Tony

A very attractive structure, and I love the subtle tones of the colouring.  Very convincing.

Small industrial building by the main entrance gates to Little Muddle station.

Sort of built it in the corner to fill a gap so designed a shape and style etc. but then thought, what is it's function.

Still not sure but no doubt something will come to mind hence no signs or anything like that at present.

Anybody else done that or is just me!!!!

Not sure if the tall chimney will stay as I bought it a while ago from Unit Models, painted it and then where it was originally planned for it didn't look right so it became surplus, I just stood it there for this photo to add height.

post-8925-0-11142900-1480348907_thumb.jpg

Edited by KNP
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Sort of built it in the corner to fill a gap so designed a shape and style etc. but then thought, what is it's function.

Still not sure but no doubt something will come to mind hence no signs or anything like that at present.

Not sure if the tall chimney will stay as I bought it a while ago from Unit Models, painted it and then where it was originally planned for it didn't look right so it became surplus, I just stood it there for this photo to add height.

Excellent work there KNP.  I like the tall chimney.  It hints at something more, whether connected with the foreground building or not, and provides a link to the brick factory in the background.

Funny how a building evolves as this picture shows taken before the alteration works.

Originally it was meant to be a stone building using a stone paper but I was never overly happy with it as there was very little if any relief. So I overpainted it the other day using an enamel sand colour paint with some talcum powder sprinked on to give a slight texture, then just dry brushed some Lifecolor roof dirt and when dry some very weak wash stains of the same colour in isolated areas.

The cladding looked wrong as well so I used my trusted white postcards (sorry correspondence cards!!!!) cut to form cladding strips and washed on numerous coats of dirt black.

Added a front door porch and window, re did the roof and a new building emerged that I'm much happier with.

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.

post-8925-0-22198100-1480419640_thumb.jpg

Edited by KNP
  • Like 6

Excellent work.

I have to agree with Teaky re chimney.  It adds depth to the scene and complements the backscene factory.

The decision to render the building turned out extremely well.

I posted recently some pictures of progress on my 'tall Caledonian signal box' - destined to replace a  Metcalfe signalbox kit that graces a junction on our layout 'Braeside'.

It was always my desire to have a new station box - to replace another Metcalfe model that was plonked on the end of a station platform.

Well, I've been busy and I'm happy enough with the results to post a little collection of photos - including the replacement roof that I made (because the original was all wrong and didn't have the correct amount of overhang!

These boxes, which appear to be numerous in Scotland have some distinctive features, such as the broad hipped roofs and rather attractive windows.

They aren't fully painted yet and missing gutters and pipes - and the ALL IMPORTANT steps to the cabin of the tall box but I thought it would be nice to share the progress-to-date.

post-26609-0-64034400-1480526564_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-32115300-1480526570_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-47725600-1480527038_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

I hope it's OK to post 'work-in-progress' photos but I've just added "the ALL IMPORTANT steps to the cabin of the tall box" and had a crack at painting the the brickwork.

It appears many of the old 'Caledonian' boxes have been refurbished in recent years , with brickwork and mortar over-painted in a light brick red.

Earlier photographs of the brickwork on the signal box that inspired my model (at Dyce) reveal a much more interesting patchwork of old dark brick and bright new brickwork with re-pointed mortar.

This is the appearance I wanted to recreate and it took a bit of time staring at old photos to work out what I wanted to achieve.

So here's the result .....

post-26609-0-09572400-1481105714_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Have to say we are still receiving some wonderful building work on this thread,,,,,, and having just returned from doing the Manchester show can I offer another of "westerners" lovely pics of the "industrial area" which is only their to hide the fiddle yard!!!.

Now the show is over I hope to get back to posting more regular pics.

post-3458-0-62369000-1481129128_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Have to say we are still receiving some wonderful building work on this thread,,,,,, and having just returned from doing the Manchester show can I offer another of "westerners" lovely pics of the "industrial area" which is only their to hide the fiddle yard!!!.

attachicon.gifSP2E.jpg

Gosh - that's quite a 'scenic break'! Wonderful modelling, it has areal sense of scale ...

Amazing work. I strive to achieve brickwork like that

To be honest I fiddled about with it for a while before I hit on an appearance that I was happy with! The original signal box had a very distinctive pattern where the bricks had been replaced and the resulting 'mosaic effect' was something I was keen to reproduce.

Let's hope I don't spoil it by bodging the roof tiles or the woodwork ;-)

I hope it's OK to post 'work-in-progress' photos but I've just added "the ALL IMPORTANT steps to the cabin of the tall box" and had a crack at painting the the brickwork.

It appears many of the old 'Caledonian' boxes have been refurbished in recent years , with brickwork and mortar over-painted in a light brick red.Earlier photographs of the brickwork on the signal box that inspired my model (at Dyce) reveal a much more interesting patchwork of old dark brick and bright new brickwork with re-pointed mortar.

This is the appearance I wanted to recreate and it took a bit of time staring at old photos to work out what I wanted to achieve.

So here's the result .....

Totally convincing work to date and I'm certain, based upon what has been painted so far, you will achieve the desired effect. Big pat on the back too !

Just don't let that bloke Downes see it :)

Very well done please keep us updated.

Edited by bgman

attachicon.gifSP2E.jpg

Well that has the "wow" factor!

• 2 weeks later...

You'll all be pleased to hear that I won't be clogging up this thread with my signal boxes as .... they are pretty much finished!

I'll have to find some other scratch-building ideas - but that shouldn't be too hard!

Just to say that I've had a lot of fun trying to re-create these distinctive boxes (inspired by Stonehaven station and Dyce Junction) and have learned a few things along the way.

The signal box interiors have been assembled from the old (Wills) and new (Severn Models) kits and I've really liked the way they came together.

There is a right cock-up which the eagle eyed may spot in one of the cabins - but a last minute bit of attention with some snips disguised my schoolboy error.

All I've got to do is draw a little track diagram for each cabin, put the walkway around the junction box and add some down-pipes for the guttering and we're all done.

I expect the tiny signalmen to be fully occupied operating the levers for some Christmas running on the 'Braeside' rmodel railway!

post-26609-0-26678000-1482255339_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-29391700-1482255340_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-83546100-1482255341_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-36154000-1482255343_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-53246800-1482255344_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-97494300-1482255345_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

I have spent the last two days knocking this silo up for my sons US shunting (switching...) plank, whilst I've been out of action with a bung ankle

The silos started life as a piece of 50mm PVC plumbers pipe..

post-14327-0-67876900-1482934534_thumb.jpg.

Card, styrene and PVC was used to create the silos...

post-14327-0-05039300-1482934598_thumb.jpg

The details that possibly won't be seen when operating...

post-14327-0-70016200-1482934694_thumb.jpg

Where it's at now. Still some details to add prior to painting...

post-14327-0-58106700-1482934742_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Gary.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I've just finished a set of half-relief railway terraced cottages for my Grindleford layout.

These are in 4mm, made using SE Finecast embossed sheet over a 60thou styrene shell.

The exterior details are made from styrene rod, and the windows and doors are layered up 10thou styrene sheet.

post-17302-0-94232300-1483055037_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-56721600-1483055054_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-74347300-1483055073_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-51712200-1483055090_thumb.jpg

Al.

• Like 3

This is a 4mm scale  model of my local A.H and I hall, chosen because it has what it is in big letters on the front of it, so even if it looks nothing like the original, people should still know what it is a model of.

To show what  the real one looks like I chose this picture of the  2013 version from google street view, because the roof tiles back then were all covered in moss -  which is easier for me to model by just splotching  green stuff all over, rather than carefully picking out the multi-coloured fresh clean tiles that it has now:

post-22541-0-93171000-1483341867_thumb.jpg

This is a blow-in from my thread on the Emblaser laser cutter and  was built to test out the capabilities of a low-powered diode laser. Apart from the posters and the embossed roofing, the laser was used for pretty much everything else. Except for anything that looks a bit wonky - that's all my own work!

post-22541-0-78238200-1483342226_thumb.jpg

post-22541-0-01669900-1483342193_thumb.jpg

post-22541-0-94910100-1483342290_thumb.jpg

post-22541-0-94620700-1483342322_thumb.jpg

post-22541-0-67283300-1483345145_thumb.jpg

Happy New Year every body!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

A fine piece of work.  It captures the original perfectly with the right over all look, restrained colouring and some excellent detailing.  I bet you're pleased with that.  More please.

A fine piece of work.  It captures the original perfectly with the right over all look, restrained colouring and some excellent detailing.  I bet you're pleased with that.  More please.

Here's more because I think that these show that with laser cut bricks,  once you get the suitable laser materials worked out... then when you get the lasering settings right... and then the painting technique right.... and then the colouring right... and then the mortaring technique right... and then the mortar colouring right....it all comes together, and I think,  the closer you get the better they look. Is it just my failing aged eyes though...

post-22541-0-80500500-1483356129_thumb.jpg

post-22541-0-73727200-1483355612_thumb.jpg

post-22541-0-68704400-1483364576_thumb.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 10