Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Forum Jokes Thread

Colin_McLeod
Message added by AY Mod,

Sexist, racist or religious jokes aren't funny - keep them to yourself!

1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

I've often wondered how many nuclear weapons were working, practical devices.  They were built as a deterrent so provided you've got something that looks like a nuclear weapon, it doesn't actually need to work. Having non-working bombs avoids these sorts of accidents, or them falling into the wrong hands.

That's why you've got to be convincing. Are you bluffing or not?

• Like 2

On 29/11/2021 at 13:21, Hroth said:

9 years ago isn't much of a prognosticative stretch, I was commenting on imaginations of today (and our near future) from the perspective of 50 to 60 years ago!

Obviously you haven't read it.

Actually written in 2009 and published 2012.

A man made virus  of animals and humans  started in China.

Mass vaccinations and the wearing of masks,  etc.  etc.  etc.

People not vaccinated not allowed in places.   ------------------

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

You need Brains for this (or Gerry and Silvia Anderson)

Wasn't Fireflash nuclear powered?  Pretty certain T2 was as well.

Dan derer dan, der dan dan dan tererantantan daa...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NorthBrit said:

Obviously you haven't read it.

Actually written in 2009 and published 2012.

A man made virus  of animals and humans  started in China.

Mass vaccinations and the wearing of masks,  etc.  etc.  etc.

People not vaccinated not allowed in places.   ------------------

Well no, of course not.

Its still not that further back, and I suppose SARS and Ebola informed some of the ideas presented. 

A Chinese virus was, of course, the plot key for the BBC series Survivors from the mid 1970s, with infection being spread by air travel.

• Like 1

There was a book published in 1981 that predicted a man made virus. Originally called Gorki 400 but changed in about 1990 when the Russian weren't seen as being an enemy anymore. Name was changed to Wuhan 400....

Notice the Chinese government pathetically trying to debunk the book in the comments section.... :laugh:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eyes-Darkness-terrifying-unrelenting-suspense-ebook/dp/B009W32Z1I

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eyes-Darkness-Dean-R-Koontz/dp/0913165425/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

I thought in these PC days such racist jokes were not acceptable.

See also the thread heading.

Bernard

May I ask what is racist about the time of two thirty?

• Agree 10

I've had to Google this, and it seems that there is a joke about the time that Chinese people (an offensive term is usually used) have dental appointments. I assume it is meant to imitate their accents. The joke in this thread did not make reference to people of any nationality. Having never heard the racist version (at no point in my short memory would that have been acceptable, and since racist jokes aren't funny I don't tend to seek them out) I read it in a British accent and it the pun worked. I think those who have heard another version of the joke previously would find it hard not to be reminded of that version's racist conotations, but if somebody was not aware of that version I don't think it's fair to criticise them for using this version, which is not in itself racist (though we might give a polite explanation of the potential for offence, rather than a short, crude, judgemental statement). Of course, we are all now aware of the offensive connotations of the punchline because of its use in other contexts. Perhaps we ought to consider whether it is adviseable to use it in future given that it could be so easily (and reasonably) misinterpreted.

EDIT: I would also like to point out that if a joke is offensive, you can click on the three dots in the top right corner of each post and click 'Report' to ask for it to be dealt with, rather than starting a public argument and derailing the topic for all. I can confirm that this works - a blatantly transphobic joke made (and reported) earlier today has already been removed.

Edited by DK123GWR
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, big jim said:

It was my father in laws favourite ’Dad joke’ 

And that's the point, it's about kiddy speak, how kids talk, nothing to do with

foreign accents, if anything, it could be accused of being ageist, not racist,

but your 4 year old is unlikely to report you to the authorities!

Edited by jcm@gwr
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Maybe looking at the highly offensive flag in your profile picture ....

What's offensive about the erstwhile (and might I add internationally recognised) flag of the DDR?

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

What's offensive about the erstwhile (and might I add internationally recognised) flag of the DDR?

Thank you for identifying the flag. After reading the previous comment about it, I looked up the worlds flags and did not find it so I thought that it was a flag of some organization. Now I know.

• Like 1