Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Forum Jokes Thread

Colin_McLeod
Message added by AY Mod,

Sexist, racist or religious jokes aren't funny - keep them to yourself!

• RMweb Gold

GPS only works with a "super accurate" time signal, which happily, is imbedded in the GPS signals themselves.

Of course, other time signals are available everywhere - namely, the internet.

Kev.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Possibility #4?

It's connected to a radio that receives radio clock signals.

e.g.

https://www.npl.co.uk/msf-signal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_from_NPL_(MSF)

Yes that's what I meant when I mentioned radio controlled. It seems unlikely the car uses that because those systems all include local DST information. I'll grant that as a software engineer I treat hardware manufacturers (eg;Toyota) with disdain but the chips for such systems come ready to plug in so it defies logic that a car would have such a system yet fail to correctly switch to/from DST.

Actually I did miss out another possibility - DAB. However I used to have a DAB clock radio and:

• It could be wrong by up to two minutes (I believe this is actually part of the DAB spec) and I got so annoyed by it that I got rid of it.
  • It often didn't switch to/from DST until 8 or 9am (see above for the annoyance factor).

Update: From some web searches it shows that this might be down to the receiver implementation rather than DAB itself. Still - if it gets the time from DAB it ought to automatically update. Oh and I've never used the radio so have no idea if it's tuned into anything at the moment.

🙂

Edited by AndrueC
  • Like 1

Having kicked the snowball that started a not-joke avalanche -

One night, a traffic policeman was on patrol when he saw a car fail to indicate at a junction. He put on the blues and twos and stopped the car.

After a short conversation with the very apologetic driver he said that he'd have to provide a breath test.

The man dipped into his pocket and pulled out a card, which said: "This man has a serious respiratory problem and must not be required to blow hard, as this will  result in terrible suffering. "

So, the police officer said that he could go to the station for a blood sample. He pulled out a card, which said: "This man has a serious blood clotting problem and must not be required to provide a blood sample, as this will  result in terrible suffering. "

So, the police officer said that he could go to the station for a urine sample. He pulled out a card, which said: "This man is a Manchester United fan,  so don't take the p*ss, because he's suffered enough."

Screenshot_20231029_180723_BBCSport.jpg.50bd54c056d5116a05639a1e53b7a481.jpg

(Edit to include your least-favourite, underperforming team).

Edited by CameronL
  • Like 1
  • Funny 12

38 minutes ago, exmoordave said:

I've invented a device that uses heat to remove the creases from photos of old rock bands.

Admittedly it took me a while to iron out the kinks.

Not sure it would work for The Beetles.....

Oops.....

• Funny 2

10 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

Oops.....

But that would be their Skiffle incarnation.....

Image1.jpg.fea994c60481273a01999fe7bad77bf7.jpg

John and Paul as "The Silver Beetles"....

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, exmoordave said:

I've invented a device that uses heat to remove the creases from photos of old rock bands.

Admittedly it took me a while to iron out the kinks.

1 hour ago, jcredfer said:

Oops.....

It would for the Rolling Stones but it would take ages to iron out the wrinkles.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

We left out an empty bowl, with a sign.

It said "Help Yourself".

Yes, so the kids thought that the previous group had taken the lot!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

8 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

We left out an empty bowl, with a sign.

It said "Help Yourself".

Or you could leave out a bowl of Winalot!

If Polar explorers could eat the stuff...

Businessman James Spratt introduced the first commercially-prepared pet food in England in approximately 1860. After seeing dogs being fed leftover biscuits from a ship, Spratt formulated the first dog biscuit

Ships biscuit, or hardtack was a notoriously hard concoction, although weevils found them tasty.  Sailors had a habit of tapping the biscuit on their mess tables to drive some of the weevils out...

Leftover biscuit would probably be almost sentient....

Edited by Hroth
interesting stuff....
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Ships biscuit, or hardtack was a notoriously hard concoction, although weevils found them tasty.  Sailors had a habit of tapping the biscuit on their mess tables to drive some of the weevils out...

Of course if you have a choice of a biscuit with a big weevil in it or one containing a small one you should take the second option.

You should always choose the lesser of two weevils.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 5
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, ian said:

Of course if you have a choice of a biscuit with a big weevil in it or one containing a small one you should take the second option.

image.png.0684c4d4acd624cf41c942e12cfdfe30.png

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, ian said:

But which is worse, finding out than an apple you are eating has a worm in it, or finding it has half a worm in it?

• Agree 3
  • Funny 3